Worf/Pulaski

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Agenda, Nov 16, 2009.

1. eepruls

eepruls Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually really liked Pulaski and I don't understand why people dislike her so much. I found her much more believable as an experienced doctor and scientist than Crusher. She had much more authority than Beverly ever had. Maybe it's the age issue. I liked the dynamic with her and Worf, almost like two total opposites who understand and respect each other. I wish they would have brought her back for an episode or two.

2. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But look at the context. She didn't believe Data was alive, sentient, or anything else even close. When she first encountered him, she thought that he was nothing more than a computer that happened to take the general appearance of a human being.

Would you think twice about saying something cruel to the computer you are using to visit TrekBBS? Would you be worried about hurting its feelings? I doubt it, because you know that, despite the things it can do, it is really an inanimate object. She viewed Data in much the same way.

Now, the idea was that her perception of Data was wrong, and as the season progressed she rather quickly began to realize that. Her behavior toward him changes markedly in just a matter of a few episodes. But in the beginning, her behavior is perfectly understandable. Not because she's a cruel person. Because she doesn't realize what Data is.

And, frankly, I find that to be reasonable. Would there not be more than a few people who would probably take some convincing that Data is, in fact, a sentient life form?

3. eepruls

I agree completely. It's not like there are Datas running around everywhere in Starfleet. There is one on the Enterprise and that's it. Someone new to the Enterprise may have heard of Data but don't know him or his capabilities. I'd expect people to be curious and confused at first but soon realize, in the spirit of Star Trek, that we should not discriminate. I liked that arc with Pulaski.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  4. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

She could not stand him, either. :rommie:

5. mackula

mackula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

She was on my sh*t list from the beginning the way she treated Data.

6. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I didn't like it either, but CoveTom and eepruls are right that she did change as the season progressed - she really started to moderate, if that's the word I want. So, as irritating as I found it at first, I do think it might have become an interesting character arc.

I mean, in the early episodes, Worf mostly growled, but his character changed quite a bit as time went on.

7. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^

I'm with you Kate. I wasn't too sure of her at first. She was certainly different than Crusher, but she did grow on me. I think the character's real growth probably came about the time of Unnatural Selection. She came to find just how much a part of the team she had become, and how far the crew was willing to go for her. Especially Data.

8. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was never a fan of replacing Crusher but Pulaski was cool. I was really pleased to see Crusher return but I would have preferred it if Pulaski had returned for a double doctor episode.

What was more annoying was that they replaced the female security chief with a bartender. I loved Guinan too but the women in the show were now a doctor, counselor, and bartender. We had to wait until season 5 for Ro to come along to fill the void left by Tasha.

9. eepruls

Great point. I always thought the same thing. Maybe that's why I liked Pulaski; she had authority and presence. After Pulaski left, Troi should have put on the blue uniform and become 'Lieutenant Commander Troi' first and 'Counselor' second. She should have been much more powerful and given orders. If they didn't want to do that, the Ro character should have come on board much earlier and stayed there.

10. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    In the ep, Emissary, Pulaski does kind of flirt with Worf when they're playing poker, and they're the last two players. She says, "Looks like it's just us, handsome," and Worf glances at her quizzically, just before he lowers his winning hand on her. I thought they had an interesting friendship, but I also don't think it was overtly romantic. The problem with Pulaski is she was too acerbic -- the writers almost bent over backwards to make her almost the opposite of Beverly. A middle ground was required for the CMO. Always wondered what would it have been like if Guinan had been a doctor and the new CMO. -- RR

11. CobraCommander

CobraCommander Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think what hurt was how the "powers that be" made Pulaski as decrepit as possible. the wardrobe was off, the hair and makeup were not flattering. They could have done a better hob in that area. I believe that was one of the reasons that Diana Muldaur left the character and Star Trek for the last time. I recall reading about an episode where she had the appearance of an elderly woman. That was the straw that broke the camel's back (along with the backstage politics). I feel that there was good story on Pulaski's past that could have been used instead of filler episodes. Wasted Opportunity. Cobra

P.S... I was glad to see Crusher back. I wish they actually gave her more of a story arc than just having her smile blindly most of the time.

12. chakotay_lover

chakotay_lover Lieutenant Red Shirt

I didnt understand them flirting either, i think i stop watching when whe injected herself and then told worf he was a romantic...gay...

13. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but....WHAT!?

14. billwayne

billwayne Cadet Newbie

Haha....no idea what he is talking about. She was more of a down to earth dr. then Dr. Crusher, but Dr. Crusher was more interesting of a character. Worf and her have nothing special, in fact most episodes I would have liked to see Worf kill her with a Batleth or Bat'leth if you prefer

15. Red Ranger

It's true Pulaski treated Data harshly in the beginning, but even she warmed up to him, to the point she prompted him to go after that arrogant Kolrami in Peak Performance, which she later regretted because Data lost that game to him. Loved how she tried to snap him out of it by saying, "How long are you going to sulk here like Achilles in his tent?" Also, the end, where Data prevented Kolrami from winning, and finally admits, "I busted him up!" -- RR

16. splodenode

splodenode Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

pulaski wasn't so bad

17. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Hey, Michael Dorn's good looks came right through all that Klingon makeup. I've never been sure if that flirting was Dr. Pulaski or Diana Muldaur.

18. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought Pulsaki was an interesting character - even to the extent she seemed acerbic and perceived bad attitudes. Her character developed more in one season than say Geordi, Beverly or Deanna. She also had some great interactions with characters that changed and grew. Originally very antagonistic with Picard but later revealed that she had big respect for him and wanted to work for him; with Worf she was interested in his Klingon culture and allowed us to begin to see more of that aspect to Worf; the Data relationship that courts the character the most controversy proves how much she developed and as a story telling vehicle her attitude helped for Data's sentience to be explored and provide some great story telling and Trek lore.

19. Red Ranger

It would've been even more interesting if, instead of Dr. Crusher returing, we got a third doctor instead. I would've loved to see Patti Yasutake cast as Dr. Ogawa (as we saw in the ep Parallels) instead of as Nurse Ogawa. As such a young doctor, though, I think her rank would have to be lt. cmdr. instead of full commander. Or move Dr. Selar up to CMO. What kind of "bedside manner" would a Vulcan doctor have? -- RR