Pine: Star Trek 2 Threat

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

LOL, yup!

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Bring on the Trek-pod!

3. JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not that I wouldn't mind Mitchell, but the comics are canon. Mitchell is "killed" in the first arc. Do you think they're going to completely ignore the comics continuity or deal with Mitchell's return?

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I refer you to this post:

5. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Ins[ired by Dark Knight. The federation will turn against Kirk, let's reember how the Archon comic had ended.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

He's the Captain they deserve, and not the one they need right now. LOL.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would anyone in their right minds let comics drive the movies anyway? The money to be made from movies is vastly greater. The success of the franchise depends on the next movie being a hit. The comics can be a big hit by comics standards, but that money is piddly by comparison and won't get more movies or a TV series greenlit.

Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Orci should have said that to the interviewer, although it would probably sound too business focused and crass for a fan audience, even though it's just reality.

The villain will be whoever he needs to be, to maximize box office potential. Gary Mitchell fits the Darkness taglne well, and his story is nice and simple, ready made to be told within the constraints of a two hour movie, and it's different from the vengeance plotline of the last movie, which they won't want to repeat.

Darvin is an iffier fit - like Khan, there would be too much backstory to explain (why does he look human? What are the Feds and Klingons fighting about?) But he does fit in with the earlier efforts to cast a Hispanic actor in the role, which would fit Khan or Darvin but not Mitchell (although it could have been a PC attempt to bring a bit more diversity into a heavily white male cast or beef up box office in Latin America.)

8. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

What do you mean by that? And correct me if ia m wrong but wasn't Countdown a prequel to the movie. i don't see the big deal.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The comics don't lead anything. They merely have co-writer Bob Orci from Bad Robot giving his input, and telling them what ground they aren't allowed to cover (i.e. "Space Seed" is conspicuous by it's absence among the TOS adaptations) as well as providing a few clues to the next movie in the stories (i.e. Cupcake, returning in thr next film, has been named Mr. Hendorf - presumably Orci told them to call him that) The story for the next movie was already set and the script being written when Star Trek Ongoing began.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Considering that they probably began work on the comic in late-2010, I doubt they had the story already set.

If it was set, the misdirection provided by it would be something I wouldn't put past Abrams and Company.

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know, they kind of remind me of the uniforms all the officers where wearing around Starfleet Academy.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going by this article here: http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/19/orci-freedom-of-new-star-trek-movie-timeline-scary/
    I think I was wrong to say they were already writing the script at that time. But it seems they had the rough story.