Design the Next Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shikarnov, Nov 17, 2010.

1. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's also the line of thought that has put me at ease.

The sketch made it look like you started out by slicing one of the Chariot's nacelles in half and filled in a center section.
    But in the earliest stages the Grandeur's nacelles probably also started out as a less angled version of the Sovvy nacelles and yet the end result is completely different.

The similarity probably is because the Chariot is such a memorable design and since you liked that nacelle shape as well it was spooking around in your subconscious. ;)

2. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

good point :D
    I see what you mean by having the engines and secondary hull separate. My thinking was to have the reverse of the galaxy separation. Instead of leaving the saucer without warp it would leave the secondary hull. Also the sec hull is mostly shuttlebay, science labs and sensors and secondary crew quarters.

of course, everything in the above paragraph is an after the fact rationalization for it :P
    as I was sketching it up I was mainly thinking about making a cool design

I'm heading towards getting rid of the two necks . . . it looks cool but I'm having a tough time visualizing how it connects to the secondary hull or how it comes off of the saucer
    I do want to keep the general outline of the top and front view, but I think any changes I make will affect the side view most
    I also need to nail down a nacelle shape that isn't just a tube

3. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

That line of reasoning would certainly solve a LOT of problems. It would also fit nicely with the concept behind the impossibly-thin & long nacelle struts - some sort of advanced technology of the 23rd century MAKES them possible. That same technology makes it unnecessary to worry about an unbalanced Enterprise cartwheeling throughout the cosmos...

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ It's why I've long suspected that the ship's impulse drive is really a form of antigravity drive.

5. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that's how I always figured it worked . . . reduce the ship's mass so the thrusters don't have to be so huge and also allow it to get to impulse speeds which are fractions of c

6. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't enter this contest :-( so I haven't done a new design. However I think I would like to possibly see this is a new Enterprise. I took the idea of the catamaran style connecting hulls of the Akira and flipped it sideways.

[​IMG]

7. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't Rick Sternbach once mention that 24th century starship impulse engines acted more like a sub-warp drive, in that they produce little or no pure rocket thrust.

8. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Here is another Teaser Image for my entry for the Star Trek Online Design The Next Enterprise Contest.
    All I am still working on is the image for the bottom, but the other views are complete. I re-did the Nacelle Pylons As well as elongated the secondary hull a little[SIZE=3

I will still finish the other configuration, I may even enter it if I can enter more than one design. Either way this has jump started my ship design frame of mind again.

Sean Tourangeau
    Adobe Illustrator CS5

9. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Yeah, even though I can't submit it, i've still been working at it.

Im onto the pointless details phase, and yes, its quick and dirty but I dont care as its just conveying the general idea of the ship.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I've always seen Impulse as another form of Warp Drive...a field propulsion. A more inferior form.

11. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is a big Ship Looking Great DAC.

12. Science Officer

Science Officer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi Folks,

Given the hack job a quick makeover by tweaking the shapes and adding a few trek conventional colours.

Cheers,
    S.O.

[​IMG]

13. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Science Officer, I can't help but wonder what it would look like if you changed the direction of one of the sets of pylons? If you make them thinner and reverse a pair so they make an angled loop, it might spice it up a bit and break the uniformity of it.

Titan Designer, thanks. :) The more I see of yours the more I like it.

14. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

OK, so it's a quick & dirty shot, and the overall ship is interesting, if not exciting yet - that will come if you develop it.

BUT THOSE NACELLES! WOWIE-WOW-WOW! That Coke-bottle shape is giving me wood. You need to develop them, maybe even as stand-alone items.

15. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Yeah I'm not thrilled about the saucer but the rest is incredible.

16. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Seeing as the saucer seems to be a thorn in everyone's sides, what do you all think of the following?

[​IMG]
    Classic Circle?

[​IMG]
    Wide Galaxy-esque?

[​IMG]
    Thin Sovereignish?

[​IMG]
    Voyagerish?

[​IMG]
    Dauntlessish?

[​IMG]
    Star Trek:Final Frontier Ent-H? (WTF were they thinking?)

[​IMG]
    ZE BALL!

[​IMG]
    Ace of Spades?

[​IMG]
    Queen of Hearts?

[​IMG]
    Jack of Clubs?

[​IMG]
    King of Diamonds?

:ouch:

17. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really never had a problem with the saucer aside from that dimple thing in the first version you showed, but the tons of windows on the sides of the engineering hull need to be cut back a little. If there was a bit more space between the rows, they would look better.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Id go with Dauntlessish

19. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It has more to do with Doug Drexler's pizza cutter (Ent-J) being a rather polarizing design.

20. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

I like THIS one. Sort of a mobile spacedock kinda thing going on there.