J.J. admits keeping Khan's identity a secret was a mistake

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M.A.C.O., Dec 3, 2013.

1. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I don't think they really wanted an alternate timeline though. That's just a bone thrown to fans who care too much about that kind of thing. It's pretty obvious that they just wanted to do a reboot, and that's essentially what we're getting.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course, bringing the Borg into the movie means Spock Prime won't be able to help.

Quinto Spock: "I seek information."
    Nimoy Spock: "I swore a solemn vow never to discuss the future with you. But since you are asking, I'll make an exception. Just this once."
    Quinto Spock: "Tell me of your encounters with the Borg."
    Nimoy Spock: "..."
    Quinto Spock: "Sir?"
    Nimoy Spock: "Another ship and crew dealt with them. You're on your own with this one. Sorry."

3. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

They need to be faster, like new Dawn of the Dead zombies.

4. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

More likely the frantic WORLD WAR Z than anything else. Bones will inject deadly viruses on every crew member so the Borg won't want to assimilate people.

Oh God, who's betting that mid-way through the film Kirk gets captured and assimilated? It'll be a "homage" of that "Best of Both Words" cliffhanger, but now with TOS characters! How clever!

5. The Wormhole

Nah, it'll be Spock who gets assimilated and Kirk will give the order to fire. Role reversal is so "clever" and less obvious.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Before he does, Borg Spock will tell him an ironic, borgified remark about "the needs of the many".

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh wait wait wait, I got it.

Resistance is... illogical!

:guffaw:

8. Wadjda

Within a month a Borg will die out because of STDs.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

How do you know what they wanted? All this "bone thrown to fans" stuff is just what certain people insist on believing. It's only "pretty obvious" that people not involved in the production of the films will continue to make this claim despite not having any actual evidence for it. And it's irrelevant anyway, since we did end up with an alternate timeline. In any event, even if they had rebooted the franchise, they would still be able to have the Borg show up earlier.

10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In regards to the Borg fighting against altKirk and crew, I have no problem with that. Enterprise (which is still completely 100% correct in this timeline as well) already established Borg tech pre-TOS, so Kirk and company coming up against them would be perfectly acceptable.

But why not throw the TOS crew up against Cardassians? The 2009 movie confirms Starfleet has meet the Cardies at this point, and it would provide audiences with something they've never seen before (TOS era Cardassians) without it feeling quite so... contrived as bringing in the Borg.

11. The Wormhole

The Borg have more pop culture recognition than the Cardassians, so Hollywood suits would feel more comfortable with a Borg movie than they would a Cardassian one.

Although, I guess if they wanted to, they could try to generate publicity for the Cardassians by somehow tying in the Kardashians...

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

12. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh definitely, but that's kinda what I mean. The inclusion of the Borg wouldn't feel like an organic (for want of a better word) decision on the part of the film-makers. It'd feel to me like a cynical marketing decision, rather than something that is in the best interests of the script. A little like using Khan did, in fact...

But like I say, concerns like "But the Borg belonged to TNG..." don't matter to me so much. It's irrelevant. ENT already introduced the Borg into the pre-timeline change canon, so it wouldn't be an issue to weave them into the script. :)

13. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Am I the only one here bored by both the Cardassians and Kardashians? :lol:

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ All Kardashians would look much, much less...creepy...drawn as Cardassians. :cardie:

That being said: [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24_EHZTUOR0[/yt]

15. Wadjda

It's a completly alternate universe. They just wanted to make the fans happy before completly ignoring the old continuity.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They didn't completely ignore the old continuity; there are various nods to it, references to TOS, TNG, and ENT, design choices, etc. STID even lampshades "how things would have turned out in the original timeline", and of course we see Prime timeline stuff in the 2009 mind-meld. It's kind of hard to ignore a continuity when one of your characters is a refugee from it. But the larger point is that there is no "old continuity" and "new continuity". ST09 and STID are part of the same overall continuity as all the earlier films and shows.

17. The Wormhole

After seeing STID and how the original character John Harrison was just replaced by Khan for nothing other than "cynical marketing decisions" I'm convinced this series is nothing more than Hollywood suits making what they believe will be a marketable and profitable movie as opposed to writers with a script telling a story they want to tell.

So Trek XIII will be about the Borg with misquoted lines from TWOK and TBOBW homages. Hell, I'm sure they'll even include Commander Shelby, and if anyone does realize this makes no sense whatsoever a hastily added line will be written after the fact saying she's in fact an ancestor of Shelby from TBOBW. NuShelby will of course have an underwear scene which will be seen in all the trailers and promos. Orci will somehow have the gall to say this doesn't objectify women pointing to an earlier scene with Chris Pine shirtless to prove there is equality.

18. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No doubt they'll also throw in stuff from First Contact too. Spock will probably get all angry because that's what he does in these movies and get to say Picard's "The line must be drawn here" speech. The Borg Queen will be a big breasted blonde who walks around in a silver space bikini.

19. The Wormhole

Of course, I feel silly forgetting to include that.

But isn't that basically Seven of Nine? Yeah, I guess they'll contrive to include her. Perhaps NuShelby gets assimilated and is then referred to as Seven of Nine?

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's the problem? :confused: