Casting Superman?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Jul 2, 2010.

?

Who Do You Want To Play Superman?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2010.
  1. Matthew Bomer

10.4%
  2. Henry Cavill

8.3%
  3. Chace Crawford

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Christian Howard

1.0%
  5. John Barrowman

4.2%
  6. Jon Hamm

13.5%
  7. Brandon Routh

46.9%
  8. Tom Welling

14.6%
  9. Other.

18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Add me to the folks who think Routh deserves at least one more shot at the cape.

Having rewatched the original two films a fair number of times since they came out on DVD, I have to say I think people tend to take all of the energy that they could apply to trashing those films if they wanted to and channel it at SR. Not that SR was great or anything, but I don't tend to think it's given a fair assessment either.

Hell, if the improvement from X-Men to X2 was any indication, a Singer sequel to SR could have been very impressive.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, count me as a voice of dissent. I never bought Routh as Superman for a second. He was totally wrong for the part.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they're doing what they say they're doing and Superman's been on the scene for a while when the movie begins, I say Jim Caviezel. If it's a younger Superman who is relatively new to making himself known to the public, Matthew Bomer.

Plus I had a weird dream where Matthew Bomer was Superman, Rachel McAdams was Lois and Allison Mack was... Chloe. :lol:

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally I'm a big Brandon Routh fan...he wasn't the problem with "Superman Returns" he just wasn't given enough to do as Superman. Almost all of his dialogue was written for him as Clark Kent. Remember that Routh was an unknown too when he wast cast for "Superman Returns" after a long and hundreds of candidates. I'm sure that whenever casting resumes for Nolan's "Superman" if they haven't decided on Routh reprising a role they'll repeat the same process and we could have a new Superman again. I like Jon Hamm...after that parody he did a year ago or so I think he'd be a great Lex.

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Count me among the people hoping for an older Superman (an age minimum of about 33).

Ditto

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm curious...why do you guys think he was wrong for the part?

7. Aragorn

I personally was fine with Routh, but I have to wonder how he would've performed if he actually got to play Clark Kent/Superman instead of playing Christopher Reeve playing Clark Kent/Superman.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]

;)

If Nolan reuses actors he's worked with before, Guy Pierce, Aaron Eckhart, or Hugh Jackman would all be good choices. Just not Mumbles Bale.

Alternatively:

Adrian Pasdar (has some flying experience)
    Billy Crudup
    Thomas Jane
    Adam Baldwin

That being said, I thought Routh was inspired casting and wouldn't mind seeing him play the role again.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

What didn't you guys like about him? I ask out of genuine interest or curiousity, not the desire to rip your heads off for disagreeing with me.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Routh just didn't look or sound like Superman to me. His face is better suited to, say, Sherlock Holmes or Spock. He just looks out of place in the tights and cape. And his voice is just too nasal.

11. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jon Hamm as Superman is a genius crazy idea. I'd never guess it, but he does have real gravitas as an actor, which would be a nice different angle to play Superman. Somebody who could give the role a wry bit of conviction, rather then the boy scout that's often typical.

12. DonnyBaker

DonnyBaker Lieutenant

I remember hearing that they cast Routh cause he did a great Clark Kent. He supposedly dressed up as him for Halloween when he was bar-tending at a bowling alley.
    I have a feeling that they wont use him tho. They will want a totally clean break from SR

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I don't think I could see Hugh Jackman in the part. However, I think that Aaron Eckhart would be good. I think he'd bring a similar energy to Jon Hamm.

And can I have Alana De La Garza as Lois Lane?:drool:

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

So can I. OTH I could accept Tom Welling as Supes. Just give him an appropriate haircut and there you go.

Agreed. Yet while Chris Reeve still managed to look masculine in costume Routh looked...metrosexual.

15. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kingdom Come movie? Starring Jon Hamm as Supes, Patrick Warburton as Cap Marvel and Michael Keaton reprising The Batman.

16. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Clark Kent.

oh......

you kids--Superman will be cast as Clark

All else falls in the realm of Twilight

Go meet Lestat

17. Aragorn

And the correct answer is...

...Taylor Lautner. :lol:

18. NuFan

NuFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Entirely possible, given recent events at the box office.

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I assume he's connected with Twilight?