why is there no more talk of a new star trek tv series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by tmosler, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Hell Yeah ! Star Wars got some of that going back in the late 70s and early 80s, but we haven't got any good number of those since that time. :(

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

"Better" is a relative term, particularly when it comes to Enterprise. Yes, it improved as it aged, but I don't feel it was even moderately interesting or compelling, even by its last season.

3. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I actually found most of the 4th Season to be very good, best of the series (although the final episode still leaves a sour taste in my mouth).

4. Belz...

I thought the third and fourth season were pretty good, myself. In fact, the 4th season format was, in my opinion, the best ever for Trek.

5. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The fourth season format was good. But the episodes themselves were a little too much fanwank for me. Especially the Klingon plague episodes. The season felt like they said, "the average fan isn't watching anyone, so let's go mine history and create episodes around every tiny detail we can."

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that the 4th season was the best. Some may complain about foreshadowing things in TOS, but I had no problem with it.

7. Belz...

That's been a huge problem with Star Trek since even TMP, which wasn't a reboot but assumed people were familiar with the crew and ship and wanted to see 5 minutes of spinning around the new (glorious) model. TWOK brought back Khan. TSFS made a few references to old Trek, TFF felt like a TOS episode, etc. TNG did it a few times as well in the first season, and the entire premise of Voyager feels like a return to the golden age of Trek. Same with Enterprise. And now with the reboot. Trek has been riding on nostalgia for a long, long time.

Mind you, this isn't unique to Star Trek. The SW prequels and the 2014 Rebels series rely quite a bit on the original trilogy. Same with a lot of franchises.

What's interesting to me is the Japanese format for tv shows and anime, who typically (read: mostly, not always) run for a single season or half-season, then move on to another story/universe entirely.

Yeah. I never felt the change in appearance needed an in-universe explanation. For what it's worth, however, it was well done.