The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Dallas returns to television with 10 new episodes. The show is a continuation of the
    original series and features both new and returning cast members. The first two
    episodes will air on Wednesday, June 13th on TNT in the U.S. and on Bravo in Canada.

Official Website | IMDb page | Wikipedia Entry

2. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm actually warming up to the idea of this new series. I'm not big on updates--I don't think you can ever go back and in general I think shows should not be resurrected or rebooted--however this one does sound like the writers might have learned a few lessons--namely JR, Sue Ellen and Bobby aren't going to be just props to lure old fans into the fold--rather according to interviews they'll be as much a part of the cast as the new people.

On the otherhand I'm not impressed with the two young guys playing John Ross and Christopher--I'm afraid they are going to be the weak links and with such important roles that could torpedo the show for me.

Hopefully it'll be just as wickedly delightful in its over-the-top plotting, scheming and back-stabbing as the original--there hasn't been a solidly good nighttime soap in more than a decade.

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I just wanna see my man JR be his usual evil self. Larry Hagman's getting up there in years. I hope he can match his old energy.

4. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will these new guys even stand a chance once Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy have warmed up enough to be back in character?

5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I pretty much lost interest with Dallas around the time Jim Davis died. This won't change that, but it would be cool if they did something with Susan Howard (the first female Klingon!).

Justin

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Jordana Brewster maybe, but the two guys look too metrosexual to compete with two legendary battling Texas Oilmen.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's just a short run, something like 6 episodes for this season, so I'll give it a shot. Let's see if the younguns can measure up to the old farts.

8. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

10 episodes.

I'm looking forward to it. Growing up, my extended family would all gather at my grandparents' house and watch Dallas and Knots Landing as a family. I have such great memories of curling up with a blanket and watching JR scheme while surrounded by my loved ones - many of whom are no longer with us.

I got the chance to meet Mr. Hagman two years ago, and talked with him briefly, it was like I was talking with my own childhood.

I'm thrilled they have so many returning actors from the original series - Charlene Tilton, Ken Kercheval (sp?), Linda Gray, Larry Hagman, and Patrick Duffy right off the top of my head, possibly others.

Can't wait for Wednesday night.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So have they given up on an actual reboot, like what was being planned a while back (reportedly involving John Travolta and J-Lo)?

10. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Indeed. This is a continuation of the previous series (and movies), set "today" (as in, 2012).

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good. No Hagman, no JR.

Although Connor Trinneer would be almost as good.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I was never a huge Dallas fan, but I watched from time to time (especially when Jenilee Harrison was on). I like that it's a continuation and not a re-boot. But the new characters all look like models (very metrosexual, as stated above). The original cast were all attractive, but they had individuality and identity.

13. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Steve Kanaly too, it looks like.

14. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never watched Dallas originally (I did watch Knots Landing & Falcon Crest tho), but I will give this a look for curiosity's sake at least.

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet another reason I no longer watch TV, except for Clone Wars, and I usually wait for the DVD's.

Which is what I might do with this new Dallas. I loved the old one, but I still believe it went on about eight years too long. I can't see what this new version would accomplish other than beating a dead horse.

Still, I've been wrong about a show before. maybe this will surprise me.

16. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't remember much of the show as it ended when I was still pretty young, but I wanted to add that the remix of the theme song sounded great when I saw a promo in a theater.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Larry Hagman is fighting cancer...

Read the whole thing.

And remember, the two-hour premiere is tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From what I understand, the focus will be mainly on the younger characters, but I hope the originals also get a good amount of screentime. I'm also hoping that George Kennedy makes an appearance.

18. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

I don't see it as being all that successful once the nostalgia wears off.

People forget that the original Dallas arguably lasted three or four seasons too long and ended more with a wimper (at best) than a bang.

I think a big part of the success of the original was the novelty of the series. It was a prime time soap opera (which was rare in those days) and the setting was completely unique.

Basically sin and sex in the southwest.

I wonder if they will revive Dynasty now to counter program...

19. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not so much "I want five more seasons of that" as it's "I wonder what happened to them?" that drives the show.
    I don't know about the others, but as long as they get one season that's worth watching and ties up a few knots, the effort seems justified to me.

20. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

It sounds to me like they're taking a cue from the successful Canadian Degrassi The Next Generation series, in that while it has been a long-running franchise, some of the actors that were in the original series back in the 80's came back and were as much a part of the new show as the new kids were, and even had some storylines focused on them, extending their development and adding depth to the overall series. I've never seen another series go this route until now, and it does make me hope that this becomes a trend instead of rebooting all the time.