Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JoeZhang, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

A tragic waste of a tremendous talent. RIP

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It's also amazing how many great films he was in, and how many bad films he was the only good thing about. I watched Punch Drunk Love only last week.

How are these Hollywood actors so good at covering up their drug addiction? You'd think somebody so badly addicted would ruin his career before he overdosed.

3. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

^He'd been clean for more than 20 years. The relapse was recent, and when you've been clean that long, the drugs can be even more devastating to the system. Not much time to ruin his career...sadly, it ended his life instead. Who knows what triggered the relapse, though it's said he had been on prescription pain meds after a back injury a year or so ago. That'll do it.

I just remembered the first thing I ever saw him in- When a Man Loves a Woman. He played a friend of Meg Ryan's from alcohol rehab. Very brief role, but he still managed to stand out.

4. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw a bit about the opiate issue... he was taking pain meds (based on opium--probably Vicodin), very costly ones too. Only so much is covered by insurance. But yeah, even when you've got a ton of money, sensible people want to save it when they can. Heroin is much cheaper and gives a similar effect, except that the side effects are much worse. He had bags of heroin labeled as "Ace of Spades" and "Ace of Hearts". Talk about gambling with your life. :(

I'm just sick about it. I've never met him but I know a couple of people who knew him. They're devastated. And the kids... my God just seeing them on a news clip. So young! When someone is known for former heroin abuse and they start exhibiting reclusive behavior, an intervention has to be done. Who cares about invasion of privacy. This man needed help. He had some 50+ full bags of heroin, 5+ of them empty, and 6 bags of cocaine stashed in his apartment. :wtf:

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Levar was right... doesn't lessen the tragedy.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I lost the link to a short USA Todat article but this is the quote I like...

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Hoffman's part in Mockingjay will reportedly be completed with a CGI likeness of him.

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I hope they can pull it off if that's the route they're taking. It's certainly possible to do so given the advances in lifelike CGI in recent years, but I hope it doesn't look too jarring. As much as I liked seeing 1982-era Jeff Bridges recreated from scratch in Tron Legacy it wasn't exactly the smoothest, most organic thing to look at.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's because everything dealign with Tron 2 sucks.

T3 did a fine job with Arnold being a robot without him being a robot.

11. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Gladiator had to deal with this when Oliver Reed passed unexpectedly, I imagine it'll be fine. And it helps that Hoffmann's part wasn't too big.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So, if I were to die unexpectedly of a drug overdose the police and authorities will stop at nothing to find those who sold me the drugs and arrest them within a week too, right?

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

No, because in New York--and elsewhere, some lives are valued more than others.

Maybe if they had been this zealous, the drug war might actually have worked....or not.

14. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

How much heroin should he have taken?

15. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Less than he did, obviously.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

.... A non-lethal amount? :confused:

17. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

None is the correct answer. "Overdose" implies there is an acceptable amount. Most people consider it to be a differentiation between what harms or kills and what doesn't. Once he started, any dose was eventually lethal.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And the dialogue? A PSH soundalike?

19. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they have any script-readings from Hoffman. They might not need a sound-a-like if they already have him on tape saying the lines.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

That's true. They might have recorded the script read-through, although whether the cast is in full character during the read-through can vary.