Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a question ever since my Romulan character hit level 50 I haven't been able to access the New Romulus Command Center, does anyone know how to fix that?

2. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Wait, we can have androids? Is this a Data-quality android?:drool:
    Want.
    Work held me up about 5 hours longer than I expected :scream: and I have to get up early to go back to work, so I don't have the time to really get started on my character tonight, not if I want to feel half way human tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get home at a decent hour tomorrow so I can get started. I was pretty unhappy about having to wait another day, but I don't have a whole lot of choice. I'll be looking forward to it tomorrow though.

3. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh man!!!

My client pre-patched earlier in the week and now it's patching again arghhh

4. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, there are Android bridge officers. However they are a pretty high veteran reward.
    Either you sub for a few years or you go lifetime, if you want it.
    They have a lifetime sale for a cheaper price than usual, but it's still a major commitment to go for it. 200 bucks plus taxes...

If you want o have a Soong type Android without that, just get an alien boff, give him gold eyes, gold/silvery skin and a twitchy stance... vĂ³ila: Android. You just don't get he skinless patches that show machinery underneath as a costume option.... and the reboot ability that auto-revives him when he dies. ;)

5. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was it actually downloading new stuff, or was it just patching from the files it downloaded earlier in the week? The client has recently gone down for some emergency maintenance, so it could also be that if there's another patch being rolled out today.

6. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i think it was downloading new stuff

It's finished now but i can't log in right now, guess it's too busy

7. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No one can log in right now as it's down for emergency maintenance. :D

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Pretty standard. They release something, only test a little, underestimate the number of people that are playing, and CRASH! I mean, maintenance. You'd think they'd understand that the game surges like this, and plan for it, but 8 seasons and they haven't figured it out yet...

9. Timelord Victorious

Well, I think it's more complicated than that. They just never get the chance to test under full server lose until they go live with an update.

10. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Okay I have Storming the Spire sussed out. The side facing the starting point is the "hard side" or front side, and the other side of the spire is the "easy side" or rear side.

The front side's task is hard. They have to defend our troop transports from being destroyed before they can unload troops. So they have to take out *everything*, including Voth ships, swarmers, turrets. And in phase 2, they have to take out the Voth Dreadnaught ship.

The rear side's task is much simpler, prevent Voth Troop Transports from landing and unloading troops. So the easy side's task is to take out Voth Troop Transports. The other ships are pretty much optional. And in phase 2, all they have to do is take out escaping Voth shuttles that blow up easily.

Because of this, I think the best strategy is to assign 3 of the best, highest damaging ships on the front side and have the two weakest ships to the rear. So there are 5 players and 5 defensive positions to fill, Front Left, Front Middle, Front Right, Rear Left and Rear Right.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Ok, but that just means that they've been suprised 8 times in a row, that's all. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 8 times? Come on. Gotta be a way to simulate this better, or give better testing rewards (and advertise them) to get people to help. Or if it's just server capacity, have resources they can bring online for a couple weeks until the surge dies down. Every time they add a new season/patch, we get huge queues, server crashes, and other hiccups that aren't related to the 'bugs' in the gameplay they missed. How many times can they act shocked?

For all the help they get with testing, doesn't seem like they implement a lot. Did they do testing rewards this time around? Didn't see anything? That's more about the bugs/design than the server loads, though.

And then, gotta guide the testing somewhat. Kinda seems like the ground aspects didn't get nearly the testing the space side did. Mostly because they suck at ground, and don't recognize that they need to make ground rewards bigger to justify the harder missions and longer times to complete.

Think about it: when's the last time you did a ground STF? Can you even find a PUG group to do one anymore? Last couple times I tried, I couldn't get one to start. Can almost never even scrape one up in the EliteSTF channel anymore. Rewards are all the same, so you do the easy 5 minute space one instead of the harder 30 minute ground one...

12. Timelord Victorious

Well, they added the Dyson Tribble to the c-store, but everyone can grab it for free for a limited time.

13. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

You should be able to beam down to the "adventure zone", sit through the cinematic, then you should be able to go back to the command center.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, thanks.

15. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

They've said they always suffer revenue loss during the tribble test weekend. So it becomes a tug of war between the the need to have revenue vs the need to do proper load testing (which can only happen with real players and not some scripted/recorded player actions). This time round, they chose not to have a test weekend, which kinda implies they cannot do a full capacity load test.

They can't just temporarily add extra servers to tide over the initial surge, it costs money. And what are they going to do with the extra servers after the surge is over?

As for ground adventures, I actually raised the point that ground rewards simply are not as good as space rewards in the tribble forums. Likely other players also raised similar points. As a result, they've doubled the vendor purchase price of all ground gear at the last minute. Yes, its still not enough but at least they're doing something. Hopefully when they have the time, they can do a proper review and make more changes to make ground rewards even more attractive.

16. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

What did Capt. Taggart do that made him captain of an all-ensign crew on some old junk-heap that would normally get commanded by a Lt? Which admiral's taco did he poop in as a cadet?

17. Timelord Victorious

Well, someone has to captain a training ship.
    Like Spock in Star Trek 2 and Pike in Star Trek 09... sort of.

18. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Training Commands are actually a pretty standard stepping stool to the Admiralty in many navies. Jackie Fisher comes to mind.

19. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Had a few minutes to play last night. I created a new Engineer character, a Caitian, Kattan! Boy is he a jumper! Love the pounce, kitty claws hurt! lol I likes the new training opening. Pretty new bridge, feels more like Star Trek. Looking forward to getting more into the new content.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  20. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I didn't think that was it - in the first mission they make it sound like it's an actual assignment, but then I finished the three missions, and yah, it's a graduation/training cruise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.