Should she have won?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

A contestant on Wheel of Fortune has lost because of her pronunciation of a word.

As I have a hearing problem I cannot tell if her pronunciation of 'swimming' in so incorrect as to deny her. To me it sounds right but other may hear it differently. Or it might be because I am an Australian.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSxh3N_M0Ik[/yt]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Re: Should she had won?

Yeah, she was robbed. In many American dialects the "g" at the end of a word is almost never pronounced.

3. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh, I'm pretty sure that my English teacher, who was always complaining that we were loaning English incorrectly, would suggest that -ing should be transformed into -in instead using a fully audible "g" or "k", because that's way closer to the way it sounds. I can barely tell -ing and -in apart. For me, there's no difference.

But good thing she did not know there was a "g" at the end of the word, so that they might have a ground to stand on... Oh, wait.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I would say she misses off the 'g'. I'm into two minds over it, yes strictly speaking she mispronunced the word, whilst it might be true that certain dialects in America don't pronunce the 'g'. Unless the dictionary says pronuncing it without the 'g' is acceptable she was technically incorrect in her solution. But it seems a bit harsh and perhaps some lee-way should be given.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think perhaps the difference between words ending in 'in' as opposed to 'ing' is the length of the 'i', in words ending 'ing' the 'i' sound is longer.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

She was robbed. Clearly she knew there was a "g" at the end of the word, and if they don't take different regional accents and pronunciations into account (which I find hard to believe given the wide variety of accents I've heard on the show over the years when I've occasionally tuned in) they should have given her a chance to repeat the phrase in full before moving on to the next contestant.

The saddest thing about all of this is that poor Odo_Ital will never be able to win at Wheel of Fortune. :(

7. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

No. She should not have won.

8. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I speak English as a second language, but even I know there's a difference between swimming and swimmin'. ReneƩ didn't pronounce it correctly, so she lost.

9. Locutus of Bored

^ It's clear that she was fully aware of the difference between the two and knew there was a "g" at the end. Either she was being folksy and leaving off the g on purpose, or that's how she typically pronounces it. Either way, I think she should have been given another chance to say it.

What are the rules about pronunciation on Wheel? I know on Jeopardy they give you a chance to restate the question if you mispronounce something the first time. Do they not allow that on Wheel?

10. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

True. I hardly ever watch Wheel anymore, but the producers/judges (?) are usually quite rigid when it comes pronunciations. In a lot of cases, though, the contestant simply guesses the wrong word, for instance, "Satellite Disc" instead of saying "Satellite Dish."

11. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. You are on a wordplay game show, enunciate and speak clearly.

They have to set a neutral standard somewhere. You have people from all over the country and world on that show. While you can't fault someone for a regional dialect, you can certainly fault them for not saying the whole word.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^The easiest and fairest standard would be pronuncitations listed in the dictionary.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to see something like that with the word 'Worcestershire'.

14. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

True - the G was on the board, she knew she had the answer, all she had to do was read it correctly from the board.

Self inflicted wound...

17. Locutus of Bored

Sorry, that answer is not acceptable.

18. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

So, does that mean Gil T.Azell get kicked off the board? :lol:

19. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops I accept you "DQ'ing" me for my spelling error, the price of being tired at the time of posting. :o

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think the producers or whomever "enforces the rules" of the game knew what she meant, she called the "G" to be there so she obviously knew it was there. She clearly had a regional accent of the type that sort of lops off sounds and muddies others (she over-pronounces "M" for example, perhaps to not get it confused with the already called "N".)

She was robbed, she called most of the letters on the board so she obviously knew the answer to the puzzle but she slightly (and not in an unusual way) mispronounces a commonly mispronounced suffix and she losses? Robbed.

I think an ounce of leeway should have been given.