Star Trek audiobook revival - which titles?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Danlav05, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

There is a thread asking who the readers should be, but which titles should be recorded if the range returns?

The Jj movies have obviously been done, but Germany has Titan, Destiiny and Vanguard.

A few large-format/hardback books such as Unit and Shatners Academy book got left out, but the Vulcans Soul trilogy was completely done unabridged.

I admit I do prefer the shorter unabridged titles. The Destiny etc TNG saga seem to now be connected by ongoing story threads, which is very interesting. Articles of the Federation may be a good place to start.

2. tmclough

tmclough Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As I (accidentally) posted in the other thread, I prefer unabridged, mostly older titles.

That said, I could understand making audiobooks of all new titles, and, as time and money warrant, filling in with other, older titles.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

By Recorded Books.

* "Vulcan's Soul, Book 1: Exodus" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, 2004, 510 min.

* "Vulcan's Soul, Book 2: Exiles" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, 2006, 630 min.

* "Vulcan's Soul, Book 3: Epiphany" by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, read by Richard Poe, 2007, 694 min.

There are also some other unabridged titles:

* "The Physics of Star Trek" by Lawrence M. Krauss, read by Larry McKeever, Books on Tape, 1996, approx 390 min.

* "Sarek" by AC Crispin, read by Nick Sullivan, Chivers Sound Library/BBC Audiobooks America, 2001 (Re-released: Audible Frontiers download, 2012), approx. 879 min.

* "Star Trek Nemesis" by J.M. Dillard, read by Grover Gardner, Chivers Sound Library/BBC Audiobooks America, 2002, 347 min.

* "Star Trek" by Alan Dean Foster, read by Zachary Quinto, Simon & Shuster Audioworks, 2009, approx. 480 min.

And I believe I heard that, forthcoming, is:

* "Star Trek Into Darkness" by Alan Dean Foster, read by Alice Eve, Simon & Shuster Audioworks, 2013?

Simon & Shuster Audioworks did do their own (abridged) versions of "Sarek" (w/ Mark Lenard), "Nemesis" (w/ Boyd Gaines) and "Vulcan's Soul, Book 1: Exodus" (w/ Boyd Gaines).

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love to get audio versions of the Destiny trilogy read by Ada Maris, the actress who played Capt. Hernandez.

5. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I would love Voyager-Relaunch audios. Full Circle especially :techman:

6. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

I love audiobooks, I have several hundred - mostly mysteries; and of course all of the TOS related stories. I listen to them commuting; on the treadmill; even yardwork and projects around the house - pretty much any time I'm able to, but not able to read.
    As for this subject, any new TOS audiobook would be greatly appreciated.

7. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Who knows, maybe after the 3 movies are finished audiobooks could make a comeback at least in the Nutrek.

8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

Great idea - any one of the relaunches or Vanguard would be a great place to start with audiobooks.

Put me in the unabridged camp. I still get quite sad when I recall the butchered audio versions of Dark Mirror or Q-Squared. Brilliant novels that had all their heart removed by the abridgment. Also, I commute 5+ hours every the week, so I have lots of time to kill.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

At least Diane Duane adapted her own novel, AFAIK. George Truett abridged "Q-Squared".