AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Or a persist airborne virus.

2. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

I insist there is NO virus!!!

3. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

It's almost a necessity to make the zombie apocalypse work as advertised, I think. Biting alone is a pretty poor way for a microbe to spread, globally speaking. But if it has a dormant state, where it can spread through a population without them knowing it, the virus/parasite could spread broadly before anybody knows a thing. If it was a planned attack, it could be coordinated so that hospitals all over the country would be compromised at the same time, making it virtually impossible for folks like the CDC to coordinate a medical response. Nasty thought.

4. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

Gotta be an alien virus from space. Imagine using a weaponless virus that is 100% lethal and uses the already dead victims as disease vectors, leading to minimal damage to the infrastructure. If I were an alien race, that is how I would take over a habitable planet. Plus you make if blood bourne so it makes the cleanup a lot easier later especially if it mutates.

5. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

What if it was a two stage virus, one part is airborne and spreads quickly but has no symptoms, the second part is blood borne and latches into the first part to kill quickly. I will bet the first part is the mimi-virus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimivirus

This virus is HUGE for a virus, contains DNA not RNA and is just plain freaky, LOL.

6. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

no! No! NO!! NO Viruses!!!!

OOoooooOOoo! Be patient! I have it ALL figured out!

Pathogens do not, can not and will NEVER effect dead tissue. Pure and simple.

There is an alternate mechanism by which the Undead are reanimated which circumvents and is independent of biological pathways. It explains everything from the fact that the Walking Dead reanimate in the first place and includes explanations for why they crave human flesh, acquire a decayed appearance so rapidly and even identifies why some zombies seem to function at different levels of intelligence, a few even seeming to maintain a slight concept of "self" and perhaps vague memories. I've even worked out why the bite kills--WITHOUT the fall-back of a "virus".

The Rise of the Walking Dead was a WORLD-WIDE event that manifested simultaneously across the planet. No pathogen can do that. The situation requires the presence of an element already in the environment which is then activated by another factor. Once the Dead rise, then, yes, those people dying from bites would form a spread constellation similar to that of a highly virulent contagion, but that is misleading. There was a direct Cause/Effect incident that created the situation and it operates on a non-biological principle. At least, it is not bio-CHEMICALLY based.

Be patient. I'm putting it all together in my short book.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if anyone here will get it, but he told him... "Yahoo." ;)

8. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Since it's not real it doesn't even matter. The comic has never explained it and the CDC wasn't even able to identify the pathogen before it fell apart on the show.

I always felt nanites were the only half-way plausible explanation for the zombie apocalypse but at the end of the day it's not exactly a genre that cries for veracity.

9. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

I wonder what they're going to do about Carl. With such a long hiatus they'll have the same problem as Walt in Lost. I suppose they could jump the series forward several months that would really screw up the pacing (and kill one of the subplots in the comic, though that one looks like it's already dead).

10. Sentinel

Sentinel Ensign

Which I personally am getting tired of seeing you blather about every week.

11. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

"You complete me."

12. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So did the cliffhanger contradict anything you've worked out, confirm it, or just leave it open to your book.

i hope you're able to finish the book soon...i would be VERY happy to see your ads on Trek BBS instead of the stupid AXE commercials (There ARE others that i DO click on -- the Samsung one was actually helpful)

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

If you really want to know what it is....

Lori is pregnant!!!

Remember Jenner did blood tests, and he only told Rick this. If it were something zombie related he would have told the others also. Yes, he did tell Rick earlier that there were no big surprises with the blood tests, but that is when he was planning to kill everyone, after he decides to let them go he then tells Rick.

14. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

You know, he could have said she's pregnant. Remember, Lori and RIck were fighting before the zombie apocalypse. If they hadn't slept together in a couple of months up until that time.....Rick's only been back a couple of days. She'd be less than a week pregnant. Would that come through on a blood test? Presumably she's done the deed with Shane for about a month. For it to have been Rick's child from before she'd have to be several months along and the actress is a bag of bones. She's obviously not in her second trimester.

15. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Is there really any need to keep harping on and on about this? Nearly every post I've seen from you in this thread is going on about this 'alternate idea' thing that you have, but until you tell us what it is, there's absolutely no discussion value to it. It feels more like you're desperately advertising your book before actually having released it.

16. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Well, the good folks at TWOP found this episode "boring:" and the whole season "overrated." They really do hate everything, don't they? :lol:

17. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can someone get a screen cap so we can have a caption contest?

My submission:

"Twinkies don't REALLY last forever..."

18. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't it already be obvious that all dead people come back as zombies (if it is indeed true on this show)? That's a rather hard thing not to figure out by this point in the apocalypse, though they get a little bit of slack given that it takes between two and eight hours to turn...

I'm not sure I buy the timing of all this, though. It might make sense that some of the research locations would run out of fuel, but aren't a lot of military bases designed to run for years post-nuclear explosion? It really hasn't been that long post-apocalypse. Is it possible that the really-secret locations kept their mouths shut in order to keep safe?

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice pickup. Didn't even consider that even though I knew the progression of the comic. That's probably it.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Rosebud"