7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, May 11, 2013.

?

Grade "Nightmare in Silver"

Poll closed Jun 20, 2013.
  1. Excellent!

21 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Great

46 vote(s)
    41.1%
  3. Average

36 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. DELETE!

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. "Iron Man 3" was better"

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I got a bit distracted, which Doctors did Matt do? I picked out one, two, Nine, ten and ???

2. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Commodore Commodore

I dunno I really liked this episode but then I'm a sucker for the Cybermen or the Daleks. The kids were a bit annoying but then they weren't in most of the episode so it didn't matter much. Also loved to hear the Cybermen theme again, it's been a while.

3. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What a tough crowd!

I enjoyed this episode a good deal; It's probably my favorite Cyberman episode of the new series. I'd rate it a 4/5 only because it seemed to drag a little in the middle -- but other than that, it gave me everything I wanted in an episode of Doctor Who and was exciting.

4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1) If the Cybermen can move that fast why don't they do it all the time?
    2) Matthew Waterhouse will love this episode as it finally introduces someone who's a worse actor and more annoying character than Adric.
    2) The Temple Of sodding Peace again? Seriously if you're compelled to shoot there every single series at least try and diguise the fact.

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A jolly good episode! Was pretty much how I expected it. Almost only put 4/5, but I think this deserves that extra rating. Matt Smith acted his ass off, Warwick Davies was great, and the Cybermen are fantastic!

I feel however this would have worked so much better as a two parter like Asylum of the Daleks would have also benefited from that.

I particularly enjoyed the pictures of all the doctors, I love it when they put in past references. The episode reminded me of Earthshock for some reason, the soldiers uniform looked similar to the ones worn by the Earthshock crew. Also enjoyed the evil doctor. "Mister Clever" made me laugh a bit.

Probably in my top 5 Smith episodes (although there's a lot of his episodes I can't stand, but still), I think I still prefer a lot of the other cybermen stories by far though. Yet again which has been a problem with a lot of series 7 episodes is that too much was crammed into one episode. This could have benefited from being a two parter, maybe even a three parter. Same with Asylum.

6. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got bored about midway through which is never a good sign. Strangely enough I still wish it could have beern a two parter, for no other reason than to ratchet up the tension which the story was sorely lacking.

If it weren't for SJA I could swear that the BBC had the same rule as Hollywood, that all children have to be smug, annoying little brats. I was actually smiling when whatsherface got carried off by a cyberman.

Despite that, the best part was Warwick Davis, who pretty much stole the show. Wouldn't mind seeing him again.

7. Green Lantern

These are the original Telos cybermen. Apparently they have been the original ones since 2010 when they got their C symbols removed, it's just a coincidence they look the same.

I like to think however the original 80s cybermen bumped into a batch of Lumic Cybermen, concluded the Kumic cybs were better, and stole their technology.

8. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's never been stated on screen that that's the case.

9. Green Lantern

I know right, when the new cybermen were announced I still thought it was the Lumic Cybermen. I was wondering where they all came from.

They've not even really stated it now. This seems to be a problem with Moffat lately. Not really any explanation for where they grabbed the new dalek emperor from, why they're using the RTD daleks again (we know in real life why they are, but no on screen explanation), where the fuck Skaro's come from, and where the hell has the Asylum planet come from. Annother thing that bugs me is the doctor seems to have given up with the daleks now, before he tried to completely eradicate them, now he just leaves them, doesn't even try to destroy them. And now there's been no explanation for the Telosian Cybermen coming back.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would you need an explanation? They were never wiped out.

11. Green Lantern

Are you on about the daleks or cybs?

12. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Maybe it was just because the Radio Times review was so negative, but I quite enjoyed it. The kids were thankfully taken out the equation reasonably quickly and I enjoyed the Emperor character. A straightforward episode maybe. It'll do.

The teaser was interesting. I just hope that Clara isn't some sort of 'bad guy' creation designed to honeypot the Doctor. Too cliché.

13. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Abject rubbish. But at least not as bad as last week.

Did anyone else think it felt really cheap as well? The presence of children didn't help, but that aside it looked very CBBC. And not in the way that it's meant to because it was set in a sort of theme park or whatever. I lose track a little of the series and numbers since they split them, but even compared to stuff as recent The God Complex and The Girl Who Waited it looks very different and significantly worse. Could just be the lighting. For example, there wasn't a single point that the shined up Cybermen didn't look like plastic. Not once were they convincingly metal, though the design is at least a bit better than the Cybusmen ones.

Narrative's gone to pot this series too. Even though there's different writers, the whole narrative flow is out the window in all of them. It's just things happening. It makes RTD's tripe look like rigid adherence to form.

So far as it was understandable as a story though, there was a lot of poor things. Jar Jar Smith's "Mesa got ice cream ticket" wasn't as cringeworthy as his spitfire impressions in AGMGTW for example, but still is completely unjustifiable in a character that is meant to be the Doctor. And why didn't he leave the children in the TARDIS, rather than in a creepy room with a dead Cyberman? Speaking of Jar Jar, all the Cybermen falling down a bit in some silly plotting akin to actually using Geordi's shape in I, Borg was a lot like the battle droids in The Phantom Menace. And what was even going on anyway? Just absolute rubbish really.

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It was a good episode that would have been improved to great with the kids gone, and more time with Warwick Davis.

15. Green Lantern

Yeah, I noticed that. The whole look of the show feels more SJA than it used to be. For example when I first saw a full picture of the new Ice Warriors in the radio times I thought to myself that looks very SJA. Also, anyone else not like the new tardis? Originally I thought it was a huge improvement, but now I'm growing to hate it with a passion.

16. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

The new Who Tardis control rooms have all been much of a muchness. The McGann one was a sophisticated pinnacle unlikely to be matched until they get the Fisher Price obsession out of their heads. And the doors have always been wrong since 2005, like it's not set in the same universe, or else there's a completely ignorance as to how the Tardis and its outward appearance worked.

17. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK, I think my current season poll would probaly run something like...
    1) The Crimson Horror
    2) Nightmare in Silver
    3) Bells of Saint John
    4) Cold War
    5) Journey to the Centre...
    6) Hide
    777) The Rings of Please No Not a Song.*

*Sorry, just can't be bothered to check the right spelling, so went with a lame jibe.

18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

So instead of cybermats we have cyber-roaches?

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Good, not amazing.

Feels like this one got chopped up a bit. Like there are a hand full of scenes missing in there somewhere. The bullet-time thing (and its later absence) were never explained that I saw. The increasing borgification of the Cybermen is a bit of a shame, but it makes sense and it isn't like the Borg are going to show up in anything any time soon.

20. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The Cybermen from the Tenth Planet could easily have taken a path toward the zombie like Borg. I prefer that burn victim mobile face to the blank robot faces later designs have. The creepiness of the Cybermen comes from their loss of humanity, not their cyber abilities. The robot look and focusing on powers loses the creepy factor completely.