Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Coulson rules.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well.. he's been through a lot and he's feeling betrayed by the very organization he devoted his life to so there's bound to be some changes.

However i still see the core of his character that made him so popular amongst the fans. It's still that outside events force him to react a certain kind of way to protect his team and to get to the bottom of it all.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was funny talk a while back about Julia Louie-Drefus guesting on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

But what if Clark was to Guest on Veep, as some one exactly like Coulson who doesn't say he isn't from S.H.I.E.L.D. and doesn't say that he isn't Coulson.

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^This.

5. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

He was basically a Coulson-type on West Wing.

To me he's a little like Boba Fett - nice in small doses but I don't know how good a Boba Fett-led series would be.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They've never treated the Winter Soldier's identity as a secret. I was kind of surprised how open they've been about the whole thing. I was expecting them to treat it as a huge shock for people who haven't read the comic, but I don't think they've ever tried to hide it. Pretty much every cast list I've seen has listed him as xxxxxxx/The Winter Soldier instead of just The Winter Soldier, and most of the trailers and previews have shown him with his face uncovered.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, until now it was unstated. All it takes it to recognize the actor, but none of the dialog at least mentioned who he was. I think the idea was to make it the worst kept secret, but still technically a secret. The Assembling a Universe narrative is the first to say it in black and white.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Not in any of the trailers/commercials I've seen. He's always had a scarf/bandanna covering the lower half.

9. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Every woman who goes into military situations has to accept this as a possibility if she is captured. Playing the situation off as so light just because it is a male character showed a lack of taste, I thought.

10. Alidar Jarok

There are a couple that don't, but the long hair and black around his eyes still make it tricky to recognize him if you haven't seen the actor in awhile.

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And that screencap got me wondering again: could a Helicarrier safely land and relaunch a plane the size of the Bus?

12. Alidar Jarok

Probably. It's just as big as a regular carrier and they don't need a runway to land anyway.

13. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I figure they are only holding secrets when they reach the Ironman 3 level. Everybody who really cares about the identity already knows and are in for the journey not the destination. Do those just going to the movie without Marvel knowledge really care?

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

But how much weight can it carry and still remain airborne?

15. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After seeing the carrier with massive battle damage remaining airborne in the Avengers I imagine as much as the plot calls for. A C-17 with an extra pair of engines should not matter. How they can get it down to the hanger deck however is another question.

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The special actually did a good job of making the movies seem appealing. Everybody involved seemed to have grown up with Marvel and have respect for the characters, Captain America in particular. It's too bad the current state of Marvel Comics doesn't live up to that hype.

Yes. He also rocks.

We're not talking about being in a war zone, getting captured, beaten, and gang raped. We're talking about people who are like James Bond, who use sex to manipulate and infiltrate. She didn't do anything to him that he hasn't done to others before-- the only difference being the mind control, which would be the part he'd have difficulty dealing with.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah?

I think the baby is what he'll have the most difficult time dealing with.

Then when he finally gets custody after a season long war with the woman, S.H.I.E.L.D. starts talking about shooting Ward Junior into the sun... Um, in Thor One, if they had managed to get Mjolnir into a rocket and fired it at the sun, isn't there a chance that the Hammer would have knocked the sun loose from the rest of the solar system?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I watched the special. I thought it was hilarious that they spent all of 15 seconds talking about "The Incredible Hulk" movie :lol:

19. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what they did show, I got the impression it was more that they wanted to avoid showing Edward Norton on screen, or mentioning him at all in the interviews.

"The Incredible Hulk" (2008) had its faults, but I enjoyed it and it still meshes well as far as plot points, with the other MCU movies.

20. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Now there's a question for Neil Tyson - could you knock the sun out of the solar system, or would the solar system follow the sun?

Actually, I guess if you flick the sun away, the planets will just go flying off in whatever direction they're heading when the sun's gravity goes away.