Richard Matheson: RIP to a real legend

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Neroon, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

He was a great writer. Rest in peace, Richard Matheson.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

RIP, Richard Matheson. He was the last of the big three Twilight Zone writers to pass away. Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, Steel (recently adapted as Real Steel starring Hugh Jackman), The Last Flight, etc. He had a ton a lot of his stories turned into movies and television programs. I Am Legend was a great book, much better than the three movies adapted from it.

http://io9.com/r-i-p-richard-matheson-author-of-i-am-legend-and-many-564036878

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

RIP, my friend.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Ah, he was 87, not 67. Confused me for a minute. Sad nevertheless.

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

RIP

I agree about him being a legend. Both my wife and I love "I Am Legend," in particular.

Side note: Greg Cox was Richard's editor at Tor. Hopefully Greg's doing all right.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've enjoyed a lot of his work that was adapted to the screen though the only written work I've read is I Am Legend. Of course, with Greg Cox posting here, we've been oft reminded of his contributions. I find all these passings more and more sighworthy as I get older and older.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks for thinking of me. I had the privilege of being Richard's editor for over twenty years. I always knew this day would come, but I keep reminding myself that Richard had a remarkably long and accomplished life. He never retired and kept on writing and working well into his eighties--and his works are still as alive and vital as ever.

Just last week, a new musical production of SOMEWHERE IN TIME opened in Portland, Oregon. My biggest regret right now is that Richard won't be around to see the musical open on Broadway someday . . ..

9. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This news saddens me greatly. I've been aware of his work since the days of TZ where he, Serling, and Charles Beaumont wrote the lion's share of the series. But don't take my word for it. Watch "The Incredible Shrinking Man", "I am Legend" (The original Vincent Price version called "Last Man on Earth", not the progressively declining remakes.) He also wrote the screenplay for a TV movie from a little known novel about a vampire prowling the streets of Las Vegas, some of you may be familiar with it. He even wrote a "Star Trek" episode.
    Every contemporary horror writer owes a debt to Matheson. Some, like King, have acknowledged it, others haven't.
    For you young'uns unfamiliar with his work, get busy and read some. You won't be disappointed.

A true giant has passed from the scene.

10. Neroon

Re: Richard Matheson: RIP to a real legend

Yeah, my bad on the typo

At least he had that brief cameo in the film. Thank you for taking the time to post about him.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

sad news indeed. i can still remember the first time i read I Am Legend one winter night long ago. RIP.

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Good to hear from you, Greg.

I had a semi-running joke at your expense in the TCM Genre Movies thread regarding "who's Richard Matheson?" I think I should retire it now.

13. Greg Cox

Honestly, I'm glad to see that Richard's passing is getting the recognition it deserves. I've been spending the evening reading all the glowing tributes and obituaries that are springing up on-line--and debating which DVD I want to rewatch first: SOMEWHERE IN TIME or THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE?

14. Neroon

Hehe.... that pair covers both extremes. :lol: Go with "Somewhere In Time". You'll sleep better. ;)

15. js

js Captain Captain

The master of the first person narrative, Richard Matheson managed to scare and inspire and humanize.

Twilight Zone was the best written television show ever, due in large part to Matheson. While I've had the pleasure and honor of meeting a few of the TZ writers, for some reason I don't recall ever making it to a Matheson signing, now to my deep sadness and regret. Though somewhere around here I think I do have a signed copy of "I Am Legend" that I picked up at a bookstore after one of his signings. *wanders over to bookshelves* Ah yes, there it is. Near my Charles Beaumont collected stories.

What an extraordinary team Rod Serling put together. Now several are together again...

16. Greg Cox

By coincidence, a musical version of SOMEWHERE IN TIME opened in Portland, Oregon last week, with hopes of moving to Broadway next year. Richard was very excited about the musical and heavily involved in its development. It's a shame that he won't be around to see it open in New York, but he enjoyed a remarkably long and accomplished career.

17. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always found Hollywood's fascination with Phillip K Dick laughable, as Matheson has, IMO, contributed far more to filmed science fiction over his career. Whether it was the fantastic, such as What Dreams May Come, or the outright scary, like I Am Legend, Matheson put together a plethora of classic stories. I've enjoyed reading his work for decades. He will be missed.

18. Greg Cox

Well, it's not as though Hollywood has exactly ignored Matheson's work: THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, DUEL, SOMEWHERE IN TIME, WHAT DREAMS MAY COME, STIR OF ECHOES, THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, THE BOX, REAL STEEL, THE LAST MAN ON EARTH, THE OMEGA MAN, I AM LEGEND, etc.

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

:(

He will be missed, but his work will live on for a long, long time...