Favourite Warp Effect...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Smellmet, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

It is very...colourful, but the overlapping layers traveling at different rates is kind of interesting.

Notice there are two "light booms", one when the effect engages, another when she finally goes to warp.

And yeah, going to warp should never involve the term "finally".

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I've looked at it as that the ship has already gone to warp and what we're seeing is an after-image.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That could well be it, and a very early version of the Picard Manouver effect.

4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I love the pixie dust.

For me it's easily STiD's version of the warp effect.

5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Oooh I could look at that all day!

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It's nice, but this is just so damned sweet:

[​IMG]

7. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

I agree, there's a lot of things in JJ-Trek I don't like, but the warp effect is not one of them. Strrretch...BOOM!!! gone. Outstanding!

8. Smellmet

I like it but it looks a bit too cartoony for me, preferred what they did in 09, I can see what they were trying to achieve in STID but the blue streaks don't seem quite right perspective-wise either, my favorite still remains the 1st warp in TWOK.

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The warp effect, both going to- and being in-, in JJTrek are powerfull and strong. During both movies you get a sense that even though warpdrive is common, it is by no means safe. It's dangerous and things can go wrong pretty damned fast. I love that.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:techman:

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

You think this:

[​IMG]
    Is more like a cartoon than this:

[​IMG]
    ?

Srsly?

12. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not my favorite, but I wonder what a Dominion War-era fleet would look like warping altogether like that.

Also, how many epileptic seizures will we get?

13. Smellmet

Read my post - I said the first warp in TWOK not this one which is from TMP

14. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes.

15. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

Abram's warp effect is raw-looking.

TOS's (from a 2000's view) looks a little cheesy and over done.

The circular light streams are too perfect and the light sequence looks too much like a laser light show--it doesn't look like what you think a realistic warp field might look like.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  16. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know. It's all personal taste, of course. But I just think the Abrams one looks very cartoonish.

Plus, I like the thought that went into the TMP one, where you have one effect as the ship enters warp and another as it reaches its desired speed. It's as though we're seeing the perspective from the outside as the ship enters warp, and then seeing the perspective from inside the warp bubble as it finishes its transition into warp.

17. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I'm actually pretty critical of NuTrek, but one of the things I found pretty cool was the warp effect and how simple they kept it.

It looks a little raw and gritty and kind of 'realistic'.

If anything, this makes me really curious about what going into warp would actually look like.

There are a lot of natural optical illusions that look almost designed or staged, so who knows?

18. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Hell yes!

The streak is actually coming off the ship itself, real light sources (the windows), not a hand or computer drawn cartoon. You can take exception to the filter used for the starbow (warp entry) if you like, but there's no cartoon aspect to that ship in motion at all.

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

You might want to dig through old issues of ENTERPRISE INCIDENTS magazine. There are a couple that have concept art by the original (fired) VFX team on TMP. Their concept for the warp effect involved a sustained ripple between the inboard grills of the two nacelles, plus a sort of bubble around the ship that manifested primarily as a distortion of the star background.

It sounded both complex and subtle, and would have required shooting two differently sized Enterprises (one of them a black miniature with fiber optics strung between the engines) lined up in perfect synch to get the inboard effect to matte itself as the ship moved through the shot, but if they'd pulled it off it might have been awesome.

20. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

For some reason, this sentence just blows my mind! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.