May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

William Shatner Presents Chaos On The Bridge US Premiere
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Trek Phaser Monitor Mate Bobble Prop
By: T'Bonz on Apr 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old October 10 2014, 04:04 AM   #196
martok2112
Fleet Captain

Re: Lack of female assassins in Assassin's Creed? 'Reality of producti

ATimson wrote: View Post
martok2112 wrote: View Post
The big deal about Xbox 360 was Xbox Live Gold. Period. XBL Gold was indeed a great service, and probably had lower dropout rates than PSN/PS Plus, and (supposedly) the 360 ran many of its games in 1080p, where most of PS3's games topped out at 720p. A few PS3 titles ran in 1080p.
I'm pretty sure that "supposedly" is an untruth. Actually, I can't name any 360 games that ran at 1080p native, whereas I can name a couple of PS3 ones.
I had often wondered about that.
ATimson wrote:
Now, PS4's games all seem to run in 1080p, and Xbox One's seem to top out at about 900p.
Most of Halo: The Master Chief Collection will be 1080p/60. But of course the exception is the single-player Halo 2 Anniversary campaign, the only one actually designed for Xbox One instead of being a 360 port.
Cool. Too bad I'm gonna miss out on it since M$ has lost a customer in me.

ATimson wrote:
Sony definitely has more first party exclusives. KillZone, Uncharted, The Last of Us, just to name a few. Xbox's big exclusive has always been Halo (once dev'd by Bungie, now dev'd by 343 Studios).
Also Fable and Gears of War. (The latter was developed by Epic but published by Microsoft, and is now owned by them too.)
Ach....that's right. Oy! I guess I forgot about those titles. I wasn't overly impressed with Gears of War or Fable, so that's probably why I forgot them, but you are right, those are some more of Xbox 360's exclusives.

ATimson wrote:
First party exclusives are expensive, though. Cheaper to buy third-party exclusives, even if it's just timed (Bioshock, Mass Effect & 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider) than to publish it yourself & run the risk on it.
makes sense. . But the underhanded nature in which M$ is going about it has not won them any more fans, especially from the Tomb Raider sect. I know it's business, but developers really do need to keep in mind just who does truly support them, and show some integrity toward their fans/supporters.
Old October 10 2014, 05:25 AM   #197
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
That's pretty sad. I don't think Sony did that when the 360 was considered the better console.
Sony tended to pay for exclusive content (like with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood through Black Flag, or Bioshock Infinite including the original); I don't ever remember Xbox games getting similar deals.

But isn't that quite different? In that scenario, the games were still developed for both systems and it's been customary as of late to offer exclusive content depending on who you buy it from, though personally I dislike the practice. They never altered actual game performance.

Here you have a console manufacturer deliberately trying to alter the performance of a game on another console just so that they can appear to be on an even keel.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2014, 05:34 AM   #198
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

That's pretty sad. I don't think Sony did that when the 360 was considered the better console.
Sony tended to pay for exclusive content (like with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood through Black Flag, or Bioshock Infinite including the original); I don't ever remember Xbox games getting similar deals.

But isn't that quite different? In that scenario, the games were still developed for both systems and it's been customary as of late to offer exclusive content depending on who you buy it from, though personally I dislike the practice. They never altered actual game performance.

Here you have a console manufacturer deliberately trying to alter the performance of a game on another console just so that they can appear to be on an even keel.

And you're right about the performance of the 360vsPS3. It really did depend on the game, though for the most part, it seemed devs used the 360 as their starting point when making multi-platform games, therefore you'd often get games that would look better on it, such as Red Dead Redemption for example. Right now what were seeing is the opposite, where the PS4 is the platform of choice, and the one that is most often compared to when there are multiple versions. And that's why MS doing this is pretty low of them. Instead of working to improve their console, they rather buy their way into making hurdles for the competition.

Edit: Whoops, sorry for the double post. Thought I was editing the other one. Not sure how that happened.
Old October 10 2014, 07:19 AM   #199
SPCTRE
Female Darth Revan Slashfic Writer

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Also, I didn't ever think the 360 was considered the better console; they were just different. While there were some games where the 360 version ran better, you'd have others where the PS3 version was superior.
GTA IV's DLC was a timed exclusive for 360. That deal was a big story in industry circles at the time, although in the end it had a very negligible impact. These things are often more about PR posturing than significant sales impact.

As for your second point, it wasn't so much about "better", but about a lead platform in terms of development. In the same manner, PS4 is the lead platform at the moment, as they are leading significantly in terms of consoles sold through to consumers at this time.

So, "lead platform" meaning simply a larger installed base, i.e. multiplatform titles being developed with the 360's (now: PS4's) architecture in mind first and foremost, with optimization for the PS3's (now: XBONE's) being done after the fact, or simultaneously albeit with a slightly lower priority. The fact that the PS3's Cell architecture was more esoteric and generally more difficult to develop for didn't help, although developers overcame that obstacle pretty much completely over time.
Old October 10 2014, 09:30 PM   #200
Skywalker
Admiral

Meanwhile, EA just tweeted this gem.

Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2014, 06:37 AM   #201
martok2112
Fleet Captain

Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post

For once, I can say something good about EA.
Old October 11 2014, 07:49 PM   #202
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

The interesting thing about that is that, EA as a big dev, likely was approached just the same as Ubisoft was. I wouldn't doubt it one bit. Meanwhile, I'm sure MS will be snacking on some feet for awhile.
Old October 12 2014, 07:01 AM   #203
martok2112
Fleet Captain

The interesting thing about that is that, EA as a big dev, likely was approached just the same as Ubisoft was. I wouldn't doubt it one bit. Meanwhile, I'm sure MS will be snacking on some feet for awhile.
...with a side of crow.
Old October 12 2014, 05:38 PM   #204
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw Ubisoft's announcement and the reasons.. i'm a PS4 owner myself and i would be pissed that a company delivered less than the absolute doable with a product for political reasons (that is if i cared enough).

Maybe if there would be a good enough shitstorn they'll patch it up to 1080p but either way i'll play it because for an action game you will never notice the difference when your busy actioning your way through the game.
Old October 12 2014, 06:34 PM   #205
Reverend
Rear Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post

I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw Ubisoft's announcement and the reasons.. i'm a PS4 owner myself and i would be pissed that a company delivered less than the absolute doable with a product for political reasons (that is if i cared enough).
It's funny in a way as PC gamers have to put up with this crap all the time. At lest now we're being screwed equally!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2014, 07:20 PM   #206
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

...with a side of crow.

Yeah, thought of that

Makes you wonder if they ever think anything through before going along with decisions, and what kind of repercussions they might have. It feels like they haven't learned anything, because it feels like the "who cares about the public, we'll do what we want" mentality all over again.
Old October 12 2014, 08:58 PM   #207
martok2112
Fleet Captain

Microsoft tries to wonder where their business will be 5 years down the road.
Sony contemplates where Sony'll be 100 years down the road.

Or as I put it in another forum:
Money is the root of all evil that makes the world go 'round Microsoft.
Old October 13 2014, 12:20 AM   #208
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Or if it doesn't go around them, make it take a detour so that it does!
Old October 13 2014, 04:56 AM   #209
martok2112
Fleet Captain

Or if it doesn't go around them, make it take a detour so that it does!
No kidding!