The Almighty Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Order Flow Chart Mark III

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by 8of5, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I would like to see those as well. Good catch Christopher, as usual! :bolian:

2. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

So I've finished destiny, ds9 and the post destiny novels. Starting on the typhon pact.

The chart says that zero sum game is before rough beasts of empire, however zsg is typhon pact 1, and rbe is number 3

Losing the peace has a scene with seven on earth about the Borg and their continued existence, should there be a connection into full circle?

Is there really nothing between soul key, losing the peace and singular destiny until zero sum game? Bashir's opening chapter had a heck of a lot of changes to DS9, and suddenly there's been a long Cold War going on with a group that only formed in the closing chapters of post-destiny. (I haven't read post destiny Titan yet, trio annoys me too much)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think you mean the chart says it's after RBoE. The books weren't published in chronological order. RBoE takes place earlier than the rest. The first four TP novels were standalones around a common theme, not consecutive parts of a single story, so their order doesn't matter that much.

Yes, there is a big gap in the DS9 narrative that hasn't been filled in yet. There was a change of editors a few years ago and it was decided to bring DS9 forward in time so it could cross over with other series.

However, "Reservoir Ferengi" in the Seven Deadly Sins anthology focuses on Brunt and Gaila and spans the first year of the DS9 gap.

4. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

So I'm about right here in my read as well. Just finished Singular Destiny, reading Full Circle now. So I get that since they are stand alone, there isn't that big of a deal either way, but given the option, would you recommend reading in published order or reading RBoE first?

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

RBoE first, then ZSG, I think. Read Paths of Disharmony after those two, and it doesn't matter where Seize The Fire fits in.

6. Christopher

I dunno, I think it might arguably make more sense to save RBoE until right before Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn, because the three effectively form a trilogy.

7. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Thanks, It's tricky to work things out from memory beta without hitting upon spoilers, hence I love the flowchart. I'm aware of one major incident that's coming up which I thought happened in RBoE, but has to be set after the first chapter of ZSG.

I've got 8 hours of flying tomorrow, and another 8 hours on Wednesday, so I will likely get through several of the books this week. Sound's like I'll have to buy Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn just in case I run into a cliffhanger in mid air, but that means putting off Tower of Babel again!

Thanks again, the chart really makes trek-lit work for the masses :techman:

8. Christopher

RBoE spans an entire year, starting right after Destiny. However, it ends about two months before the beginning of ZSG. You might be thinking of Plagues of Night, which begins by depicting another perspective on the same event that opens ZSG, and then spans another 16 months (overlapping Paths of Disharmony and The Struggle Within, though it doesn't reference the latter work).

9. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Vulcan's Soul still needs to be added. :p