What do want to see from a new series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Tcsfan, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

^ Pretty much exactly like Andromeda, yeah. Actually, if I remember correctly, didn't Roddenberry's original notes put Andromeda in the Star Trek universe? So if you think about it, going with this idea would simply be excising the Tribune demons and Kevin Sorbo... ;)

The only changes I would make to that old premise would be to eliminate the "frozen in time" nonsense. The rest could still work: the Federation has fallen and/or splintered, the Alpha Quadrant is a mess, a new crew dreaming of something better drags an old starship named Enterprise out of mothballs...

The hope and optimism here could take the form of restoration, rather than simply putting us in a utopia and asking no questions about it.

2. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Star Trek post-apocalypse could be interesting, though I think it would receive criticism from many for not being 'Trek Enough' because it runs the risk of being too dark. In many ways, that seems to be what the novels are sort of going for to some degree, though at least not as extreme as actually having to rebuild the Federation after an actual collapse. Still, many of the themes of rebuilding after the Borg attack in the Destiny books, crossover with themes that would likely be explored in a Star trek version of Andromeda.

For those that like that idea though, you should check this out: http://www.st-minutiae.com/misc/restoration/index.html

3. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

That's the rumor, but Andromeda as aired turned out to be a pastiche of several GR concepts including the lead character from the old Planet Earth/Genesis II.

Kevin actually can be a good actor when given good material. His performance in the earlier seasons (which were more serious in tone and more intellectually "weighty") was a lot better than his later season performace.

I'm of two minds about that. On the one hand I'd like to agree, but having a surviving Federation officer as the "lead" makes more story sense than some random collection of people for whom the Federation is a half-forgotten fairy tale suddenly becoming nation builders.

4. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Interesting...

There was also a proposal for an animated series (possibly web-based) that featured similar themes.

5. Vito Corleone

Vito Corleone Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have 2 ideas for this one...

Idea #1...

Bring the JJ-Verse crew to Television after a good run of movies. Make the series like TOS in it's writing style and tone but, with modern FX. Re-use the excellent music from TOS, if possible. The short skirts on the female members of the crew are a must. Women in the Military like to look pretty too... Sometimes...

Idea #2...

- New ship and crew in the 24th Century Prime Universe, sometime after the Dominion War. Ship's mission is patrol through the still devastated Alpha/Beta Quadrants, assisting with rebuilding efforts and maintaining galactic order. It could bring back that 'Old West in space' kind of field that made TOS awesome.

- I'm not opposed to an alien captain but, it has to be someone that a TV audience can relate to and understand. Vulcans, Trill, Bajorans and Betazoids would probably work best.

- If the captain is Vulcan, I'd like to see him be comfortable with admitting that he has emotions but just doesn't express them in public since Vulcans consider that bad form. However, the audience can still see him enjoy them in private. (Examples include wearing colorful civilian clothes and/or enjoying music in his quarters while off duty.) Or, we can see this Vulcan Captain 'bring down the shields' and spend his off-hours trying to relieve the stress that's brought on by having to 'play the Good Vulcan' while on duty. We've never actually seen a Vulcan do that before. Anything Spock did doesn't necessarily set up any kind of precedent because he's not fully Vulcan.

- The ship doesn't have to be a new design. Re-using one of the ship designs from TNG/DS9/VOY would cut down on the show's development costs and help the audience be more comfortable with the new show right from the start. That might prove crucial since the setting is a galaxy recovering from war's devastation and filled with conspiracy and intrigue. That's not your typical rosy 'let's see what kind of mysteries we can uncover in the Great Unknown' type of setting you expect from Star Trek.

- If an old design is used, I prefer the Galaxy Class. The in-universe explanation can be "Starfleet needed a vessel that's both tactically capable and made for exploration, to help keep people motivated and 'waving the flag', so to speak." The actual reason is just because I want to see a Galaxy Class starship on TV again. :) Feel free to make whatever kind of interior/technological upgrades you need WITHOUT GOING CRAZY (i.e. faster engines, better computers, et al.), just make sure the hull shape is largely unchanged from the Enterprise-D and/or U.S.S. Venture.

- I'm partial to the name 'Invicta' for the ship because it's the Latin word for 'Undefeated.' Considering how part of this ship's mission is to bring good will and improve morale wherever it goes in the Federation, a name like that could prove beneficial.

Whatever is done though, PLEASE keep the technobabble to a minimum. Just because I, as a Trek fan, can understand it all rather easily doesn't mean that everyone else can.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

All things I would like to see :)

7. Tcsfan

Tcsfan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would like to see a 1/2 beatazoid 1/2 vulcan captain who is struggling with his/hers emotion

8. Vito Corleone

That would be quite fascinating... :vulcan:

9. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to see a series stitched together from every TrekBBS caption contest ever.

10. Bry_Sinclair

Spock has already covered that.

If it was a Betazoid/Vulcan hybrid who was completely at ease with their origins and expressed themselves openly, whilst utilising their superior Vulcan intellect, not to mention some strong and disciplined telepathic abilities, would be a different approach, and would make for an interesting new angle on the Vulcan emotional detachment and control.

11. Savious

Savious Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Personally; I always wanted to see a series based on an alien ship. I know many feel that the Klingon’s are over used; but the idea of a federation officer, being assigned to a Klingon ship, as the first officer, having to deal with the differences in culture and customs. Trying to fit in, yet trying to show them the federation way at the same time.

I know this was kind of covered with T’Pol on Enterprise, with her trying to explain the Vulcan way’s to Archer; but it would be interesting to see the shoe on the other foot.

12. Bry_Sinclair

A Cardassian ship might work better as a source of tension between the new XO and the crew, what with the recent war, the hostilities before it and the Cardassian track record of brutality against others.

You could also include a half-Bajoran among the senior staff as well, to look at their life growing up alone and isolated in such a repressive culture.

13. Savious

I can agree with that statement; although I’m not sure why a Federation officer would be on a Cardassian ship. At this point, (post dominion war), the Klingons and the Federation have been allies for some time; and much like other nations who are allied, who often send exchange officers; a Federation officer on a Klingon ship seems more natural for me. I also freely admit however that I love Klingons, so am a little prejudiced towards a Klingon ship.

I suppose, a Cardassian ship, could work; if during the pilot episode they established what with the dominion war over, the Federation was somehow helping the Cardassian’s rebuild/the Cardassians asked for help from the Federation. Not sure though, I think they would have to come up with a plausible reason for the Federation officer to be on board

14. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Well if we are talking a series based on an alien ship (highly unlikely as audience would not relate to them, but maybe could work as a Direct to DVD movie, with an iconic character as the Federation officer) I would love a Romulan ship. Now that would be something especially after the destruction of Romulus.

15. Bry_Sinclair

Post Dominion War, I envision Cardassia being like Bajor after the Occupation; massive damage, millions dead, destroyed infrastructure, no economy, etc. The Federation would provide whatever help they could/were asked for. Part of that might also include an officer exchange so that the two vastly different species can begin to understand each other a little better, build relations so that any future bloody conflicts can be avoided.

But that's just things are in my head.

16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Post war the Federation might be providing the Cardassians something like the Marshall Plan that America did with Europe after the second world war. Some Cardassians would resent the "foreign aid" coming from the Federation. And the various non-Cardassian aliens that are supervising it's organization and distribution. Cardassians being fairly xenophobic.

I really fail to see how a Cardassian ship, with a Federation officer on board, would have particular interesting stories. With the Union in such dire straits, are they going to be off exploring the galaxy? Or just puttering around inside the devastated Union?

17. Vito Corleone

I like the way you think on this issue. :)

18. Bry_Sinclair

Thank you. Its a character concept I thought of a while back.

19. Savious

Vulcan mind melds from a distance, instead of having to touch them, could lead to some interesting, if not quasi unethical, situations.

20. bluepicard27

bluepicard27 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

explore romulan culture in more detail and a admiral as a regular character and more diversity on starships