AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Just got back from a 12:35 am showing, and have to say that the film is better than both Thor and Spider-Man 2 (which are pretty much the two best Marvel movies EVER) combined. Joss Whedon has worked his magic once again, this time proving for everyone to see what his fans already knew: he's one of the best writer/directors on the planet.

I'm not usually a fan of recasting, but in the case of this movie, it's totally justifiable because Mark Ruffalo is the PERFECT Bruce Banner/Hulk, and is far and away better than Edward Norton (and I'm more familiar with Norton than I am with Ruffalo).

Go see this movie as fast as is humanly possible. It's hands-down the best Marvel superhero movie made to date and will not disappoint.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Normally this is the last thing on my mind, but the scene where Cap has to shield Black Widow kind of highlighted the fact that she isn't a "real" superhero. She serves a purpose in the story and has her action and heroic moments, but cowering from Hulk and manipulating Loki with tears seems hardly powerful feminist stuff coming from Whedon. By the next one they really need to have a proper female superhero to join the boys tossing punches and flying through walls.

Really my only notable complaint. The movie is goddamn fantastic.

3. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Like Wasp?

Hurry the fuck up, Edgar Wright!!!!!

4. Venardhi

Looking through the Avengers roster through the years highlights very few superpowered female characters suited for the film treatment, much less their own movie. Wasp would be tricky too, and she might just have the most potential of all of them.

5. DigificWriter

A female character doesn't have to have superpowers for Whedon to make them strong. Black Widow joins Zoe Wasburne, Kaylee Frye, and Winifred Burkle in Whedon's pantheon of non-powered 'superwomen', and is written just as strongly and believeably as them. She more than holds her own against the guys, and is actually one of the best characters in the movie. Her moments of vulnerability in no way make her 'weaker' and in fact only demonstrate her strength.

Gotta disagree. Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel would fit very comfortably into the filmic Avengers lineup and is a character who very much fits into the mold of Whedon's stable of superpowered female heroes.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing both Wasp and Ms. Marvel. Speaking of Danvers, I wonder if Marvel would bring the Kree into the MCU...

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I love that idea more than the reveal at the end of the film. A Skrull and Kree battle would be cool. I would love Scarlett as Ms Marvel, myself, but I guess that won't be in the cards now. Another Marvel Lady I'd like to see is Monica Rambeau.

8. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

We're off to see it today at 12:30. The fact that virtually every review I've read is positive (and the grades here) have me super-psyched to see this. I've been waiting for this day since I first saw the 42nd Street set last August.

[​IMG]

:techman:

9. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, one thing I thought of when I saw it again the other night.

So when Fury throws the trading cards in front of Cap and Iron Man, they're actually from Coulson's locker not his jacket. But they're covered in blood, which means Fury must have stained them in blood himself which is pretty dark.

10. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

The Plain Dealer also gave the movie a grade of 'A' and praised Joss' ability to balance everything and deliver a film that has broad appeal.

Two hours to go!

:cool:

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a great movie

Sucks they killed Coulson

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Finally got to see in it England on Wednesday, awesome film and thoroughly enjoyed it start to finish.

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Saw it last night. Was pretty much what I expected, which is good enough for me. :lol: High art, it ain't, but damn it was fun.

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yup :D I love Coulson's pretty blantant dig at Twilight, the audience reaction to that one was great.

15. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Son Of Coul is no more! NOOOOO!!
    And yep, it was great.

16. Venardhi

I'm not saying she wasn't a compelling character, but her physical weakness and moments of vulnerability in comparison to the big guys highlighted how much of a boys club it is. It isn't that there isn't a role for her, it just seems that there should be a woman on the team who doesn't need protecting when the real shit hits the fan.

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Also, reading back over the last few pages:

Is it possible that the Mark II suit was partly disassembled and being modified as part of "Phase 2" and therefore not available in time?

18. DigificWriter

Did you and I watch the same movie? Black Widow didn't 'need protecting when the real shit hit the fan. She kicked ass and took names just as much as the boys, and actually might've outdone them.

19. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

She was trapped in a confined space with the freaking HULK! Anyone in their right mind would be shitting themselves. The fact that she managed an escape, with an injured leg no less, and managed to stay relatively calm is a testament to her character. The manipulating with tears thing was just that: manipulation. She was playing at weak in order to trick Loki into revealing his play, and it worked.

Also, big freaking explosion and Cap has a shield that will completely deflect it. Had he been right next to Hawkeye, he would have been protecting him.

Honestly though, every single one of the Avengers had to be rescued by another at some point. But because Black Widow has some actual character, has vulnerabilities and isn't just an ice queen, that somehow makes her weak and unfit to be there?

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The Mark II suit was turned into War Machine in Iron Man 2

THE AVENGERS Pulls In $20M From Midnight Showings, But Fails To Break Record.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=59127

It could have made more but it looks like it could still do some good.

I blame the bootleg.