do the bluray releases make tng more watchable?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by tmosler, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Maybe the Mona Lisa would appeal more to a younger crowd if the top and bottom of it were chopped off.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since the picture quality no longer sucks, I'd say hell yeah, TNG-R makes the show more watchable!!

iTunes is starting to get TNG-R, but that's not streaming, as such.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd be more in favor of making her topless. :p

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Of course it's still the same show on Blu-ray, yadda yadda, but I have to stress one thing:

The TNG DVDs look god-awful on a large, modern HDTV. God-awful.

Personally speaking, that fact certainly does make TNG less (re-)watchable.

5. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I think there is a major difference. The Mona Lisa is the art of painting, TNG is the art of entertainment and storytelling.

Bob

6. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Given the Blu's, I have no reason to go to streaming for these, so they are free to take their time in updating their catalog. :)

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think seeing it how it would have been intended if they didn't have to transfer it to video is a major change in the presentation of the show. Sure the story doesn't change, but in terms of watchability...yeah it's more watchable. In particular, I always knew the color wasn't correct from seeing photos, and I knew the resolution was somewhat subpar even with SD TV, but I'm not sure I was ready for how clear the show looked instead of fuzzy, especially early seasons.

8. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember being blown away at the quality of the effects in 1987. So much better than what was available for TV in the 60s. That the original resolution is considered "unwatchable" now is baffling to me.

Then again, I prefer the original TOS episodes to the remastered versions. I must be getting old. :/

9. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

You're right about the quality of effects, they are amazing, it was just hidden under a veneer of generational analog editing/duplication issues. The remastering of TNG proves, that when the original filmed elements are reconstructed in a modern digital video editing pipeline they look amazing.

As TV sizes have gotten larger and the resolution has increased, TNG has gotten much harder to watch. The inherent issues with the way they post-produced the series on video tape is greatly exacerbated on a 60" HDTV for example.

10. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

The remastered versions are the original versions. Are you talking about the new FX verses the old FX?

11. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is exactly right. Standard definition TNG looks okay streaming on my iPad 2. It would look even better on a 19-inch tube TV. It looks horrid on my 50-inch HDTV.

If you own an HDTV, the Blu-rays of TNG add so much to the experience of watching the show, it's not even funny.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the best way is to see the difference.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZQetJVRu0I[/yt]