RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 435
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM   #136
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Lack of female assassins in Assassin's Creed? 'Reality of producti

Time for me to confess. I still haven't played the reboot. But from what I've seen, it feels like they gave her more character. I've always found the old Lara to be a physical construct and sort of comic-bookish in the sense that she never really felt real to me. She always seemed so exaggerated.

What they seem to have done with the reboot is keep her essence the same, but bring her back down to earth into something more personable and give her some growth and depth. She feels more like a real person now, not just some physical construct. She seems more on the level with Nathan Drake now, or even Joel and Ellie. (And yet another game I haven't yet played. Yes, I know... )
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM   #137
martok2112
Commander

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Time for me to confess. I still haven't played the reboot. But from what I've seen, it feels like they gave her more character. I've always found the old Lara to be a physical construct and sort of comic-bookish in the sense that she never really felt real to me. She always seemed so exaggerated.

What they seem to have done with the reboot is keep her essence the same, but bring her back down to earth into something more personable and give her some growth and depth. She feels more like a real person now, not just some physical construct. She seems more on the level with Nathan Drake now, or even Joel and Ellie. (And yet another game I haven't yet played. Yes, I know... )
That's the general sentiment of a lot of newcomers to Tomb Raider...and no disrespect to them, but especially to those who never even gave TR a second thought because, to them, she seemed more like just a physical construct...a fantasy girl.

Like I said, the first iteration of Lara was definitely more "Jane Bond"ish. Aloof, cynical, calculating (sometimes, coldly so when necessary). She was tough as nails, but, that was about it.

I am curious to see how far along her journey to becoming the Lara most of us know and love in "Rise of the Tomb Raider".

If you get a chance, definitely play The Last of Us. I guarantee, you will not be disappointed. Ellie will crack you up, I guarantee. She had me rolling in the floor, laughing my head off sometimes, during the more lighthearted moments in the game. And the story itself will take you from one end of emotions to the other (the healthier emotions, I mean.)
Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM   #138
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

The SO is a huge Tomb Raider fan (played the original trilogy and most of the later games) and she was disappointed with the reboot. Not because of story or characterization but because of the gameplay.

In her words, they made a "guy game" out of it (because of the lenghty stealth and TPS sequences) and completely neglected the actual puzzling and, you know, Tomb Raiding aspect of the franchise. Personally, I enjoyed the stealth and action segments, but I definitely agree that the few "tombs" were ridiculously short and way too easy to solve. Overall, it was still my favorite game of 2013, which was a big surprise to me.

From what I've heard from the devs talking about the sequel, they've taken that criticism to heart, which makes me very optimistic
““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #139
martok2112
Commander

SPCTRE wrote: View Post

The SO is a huge Tomb Raider fan (played the original trilogy and most of the later games) and she was disappointed with the reboot. Not because of story or characterization but because of the gameplay.

In her words, they made a "guy game" out of it (because of the lenghty stealth and TPS sequences) and completely neglected the actual puzzling and, you know, Tomb Raiding aspect of the franchise. Personally, I enjoyed the stealth and action segments, but I definitely agree that the few "tombs" were ridiculously short and way too easy to solve. Overall, it was still my favorite game of 2013, which was a big surprise to me.

From what I've heard from the devs talking about the sequel, they've taken that criticism to heart, which makes me very optimistic
Yeah, the tombs were very short.

I didn't so much mind the shooting and stealth action either. Not always one to like Quick Time Event sequences though.
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM   #140
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

martok2112 wrote: View Post

I didn't so much mind the shooting and stealth action either. Not always one to like Quick Time Event sequences though.
The only QTE sequence that really bothered me was the rapids one with Lara impaled by spikes (through the chin, no less) as a failstate. It was just a grotesquely (and completely unecessary) graphic death screen that we had to watch several times over because we missed the timing.
““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM   #141
martok2112
Commander

martok2112 wrote: View Post

The only QTE sequence that really bothered me was the rapids one with Lara impaled by spikes (through the chin, no less) as a failstate. It was just a grotesquely (and completely unecessary) graphic death screen that we had to watch several times over because we missed the timing.
A lot of times, it's not easy seeing one's heroes/heroines go through such horrific demises. In Resident Evil or dead Space it's kind of expected, because of the setting and motif...especially Dead Space. At least in Dead Space, you had the option of skipping the viewing of such gruesome deaths.

In previous Tomb Raiders, usually Lara's deaths were more "ragdoll" based...or very clean and quick deaths...with the exception of a few unique ones. (Midas, anyone? . )

But those were also T rated titles in the series. With the reboot, they wanted to go the M rated route. I guess it was a bit more M than some would've cared for.

If they gave you the option to skip such scenes, it would've probably been a bit more palatable.