Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the chuckle.

I worked at a video store in the late 1990s. For some reason back then, it was all the rage for movie trailer voice overs to include the suffix: "only in theatres."

This somehow led many people to think that these films would never eventually see home video and/or would stay in limbo for a very long time. We used to get customers that would come in and complain to us, "why is (such and such a film) not ever going to be available to rent?"

I'm glad that trend ended. But I sometimes wonder if it wasn't a turn-of-phrase generated by some overpercolated marketers to make more short term sales.

Only in theatres.

Only on AppleTV.

As to this mostly welcome news... I'm eager to see what remains of this series and then I'll see how I feel about it never being on the shelf next to the rest of the The Clones Wars DVD cases.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I can't believe how many fans are still so angry/bitter about TCW ending. They got their 100 episodes, unlike so many cancelled season one shows.:vulcan:

I REALLY wish Trek had a cartoon going on for 100 episodes right now.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think that was probably a response to piracy -- a way of saying "This movie is only supposed to be in theaters right now, so if you see it offered on home video, then someone's trying to sell you something illegal." I still see that disclaimer in the current day.

I think the bitterness comes from the fact that a season already in production was abandoned midway, and that it was unclear whether it would ever be completed or released. And that it happened as a result of a corporate merger and thus felt rather arbitrary.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always thought that was to encourage those damned home video renter cheapskates to go spend the money to see movies in the theater.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Nah, the people that go see the movies vastly outnumber the Clone Wars show viewers, which get like 1-2 million viewers per episode.

I would think having the show on as the same time as the movies get released would be great advertising, but I guess Disney badly wants to start over with their new SW movies and Rebels cartoon. :shrug:

6. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

i stand corrected. there was a 2 disc set released in 2006 that included the originals, but that is out of print.

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I have those 2006 two-disc sets. They weren't in retail circulation for very long but were definitely worth picking up for the bonus discs.

8. ALF

The Star Wars The Clone Wars episode guide is pretty amazing. It just came out. It's $20 bucks in Canada so that means it's probably .20 cents in the states? I had a chance to flip through it last night and it was incredibly useful for picking out which ones to rewatch. Of course there is the internet for episode listings but the book is really well laid out and there are little pictures highlighting which characters highlight each show, locations and highlights, etc. Maybe best of all is that is lists the shows in story order, not airdate order. I look forward to rewatching these in order.

I had to laugh when I read that the two weakest points of the entire series were both heavily consulted with George Lucas! Namely the Mortis trilogy and A Sunny Day in the Void.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

What makes Mortis one of the "weakest points of the entire series"? I certainly didn't find those episodes to be worse than average in terms of inherent quality. As I recall the main problems with Mortis were that some found it incomprehensible while others were frustrated that it supported the duality of the Force ( or equivalently that the balance of the Force is between the light and dark sides ).

10. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

The Mortis arc is one of the high points of the series imo. Props to Lucas on that one.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't remember them real clearly, but I'm pretty sure I liked the Mortis trilogy too.

12. ALF

Certainly lots of people liked those episodes. I just found them irritating.

I like to feel like I'm watching Star Wars when I'm watching Star Wars. The status quo on TCW is lots of clones and lots of Jedi smashing tinnies as the war unfolds throughout the galaxy. When the series deviated away from that I found myself enjoying it less. This Mortis Trilogy I included them in my rewatch of the series this summer and I'll be skipping it the next time... it was actually worse than I'd remembered.

The story was pointless. It felt like someone asked the writers, "Think of the stupidest possible way that we could include a brief image of Darth Vader's face." Never at any time in enjoying the Star Wars universe did I feel the need to have the source o' the force explained to me like some stoned first year philosophy student with bad ideas. Everything about it took me out of the very coherent mise-en-scene of the series and made me feel like it wasn't Star Wars.

But anyway, that's just my opinion, man. [/thedude]

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The source of the Force was explained in both ANH(1977) and TESB(1980); it had nothing to do with Mortis. The stoned first year philosophy students in question were Ben and Yoda.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Christopher

Ooh, Vanessa Marshall and Steve Blum! Neat.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I met Steve Blum last month - lovely guy. Great choice !

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do we not have a seperate thread for Rebels yet?

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a separate thread, but since this one continues to remain active, I figured what the hell. This really should probably be closed soon, as we're probably not gonna get any further real Clone Wars news (at least not on Season Five anyway ;).

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The show is apparently in syndecation now. It's been on one of my local network channels on Sundays at 11:00. I haven't watched them since I already own the first two seasons, but once they hit S3 I'll probably start.
    I'm wondering if they are still going once the last few new episodes are released if they'll eventually add them to the rotation, or if it'll always end at S5.

20. Christopher

Are they syndicated in broadcast order or chronological order?