Heroes: "Orientation" and "Jump, Push, Fall" 9/21 - Grade & Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Sep 20, 2009.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroes: "Orientation" and "Jump, Push, Fall" 9/21 - Grade & Discus

Glad to here you it's been good so far. I've been watching House instead, but I will be watching it online tomorrow. I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed the last two seasons, so hearing so many other people liking this has been pretty excited.

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

One other thing somebody pointed out...they're all playing Guitar Hero 3 at Claire's school even though Guitar Hero 5 came out last week and 3 isn't in stores. Budget cutbacks must mean old sponsers too. ;)

3. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it wasn't especially riveting, but I thought it was alright, actually. At any rate, I didn't feel like shouting at my television, and that's always a plus. ;)

I enjoy it when we get to see these characters in more ordinary situations, using their powers sparingly. Focusing on them trying to get on with their lives makes things a bit more relatable, I think. Sure, it won't last, but it's a nice way to segue back into things. So yeah, I like seeing Peter as a paramedic again, and Matt trying to quit his powers cold turkey and just be a regular cop (oh, and I thought the "psychic imprint" of Sylar was great in his interactions with Matt).

The carny folk have the potential to be interesting... I'm curious to see what their deal is. Is it too much to hope that the writers won't screw it up?

I fear there may already be too many characters/storylines in use, and that not everyone/everything will get the attention they require. It seemed like some characters weren't onscreen for about half an hour and only appeared for a couple of minutes, i.e. Angela and Sylar/Nathan. I think I would've preferred to see more of that story than Hiro and Ando's typically insignificant exploits -- but maybe Hiro developing a terminal illness could open the door for some more interesting possibilities, as could Sullivan's plan for him. Eh, I'm willing to give it some time and see how it goes.

Well, I'm cautiously optimistic. If they can keep people from constantly doing stupid things and behaving out of character for the next few episodes at least, then I think it might be safe to say they're on the right track. Here's hoping the "Redemption" arc is aptly named.

4. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

This show reminds me of Naruto Shippuden......

Sylar / Orochimaru who was killed by an anti-hero and is has peices of himself living in the other person who killed him.

Matt / Sasuke who has pieces of Sylar / Orochimaru inside of him.

Tracy Strauss / Suigetsu who has the power to escape physical harm by turning into water.

Claire / Naruto they can survive damn near anythign and heal just as quickly.

Creepy Carnival Tatoo man / Shikamaru who can strangle people with "shadows / tattoo ink"

This show is turning into a live action naruto.....

The carnies remind me of the Akatsuki.....

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Sylar/Nathan thing is interesting, but the path it took to get to where it is was completely ludicrous. It's like the premise for Dollhouse or My Own Worst Enemy, which sounds cool at first mention, but doesn't really work when you try to develop it into something more -- sort of like turning an SNL skit into a feature-length movie.

Though Robert Knepper was awesome. He totally rose above the material.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

any good/worth watching? It got moved off of my primary DVR into the land of the basement DVR, where things don't get watched as often. Just couldn't justify keeping it over House or How I Met Your Mother anymore...

7. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I give it an Excellent.

Yes the previous volumes all started of well too, but tonight's episode has left me intrigued and interested to watch more. Hopefully, they keep it up. The preview for next week looks good too.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The show still feels like they're moving the characters around to fit whatever the plot requires, but at the same time, it looks like things were off to a good start. It was more focussed and had some interesting threads. And yes, the Sylar-being-Nathan bit is interesting. Is it really Nathan in some form? Or this new "Nathan" just a good copy? That's fascinating stuff. They even managed to work Zackary Quinto back into the mix. I was wondering if and how they'd do that given that he's Nathan now.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Tuned in for Madeline Zima(Claire's new friend, hotty from Californication)

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The bad ratings really aren't that big a surprise, after the major letdowns the past two seasons have been. I kind of had a feeling that this year would probably be Heroes' last. That said, I thought this volume started off pretty strongly, it seemed to move at a decent pace and it felt a lot more focused than the last two season premieres.

12. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

I liked the presentation of the carnie folk. Okay, it's still a rip off of an X-Men storyline, but I like the imagery. Knepper was especially promising, he's a much more convincing tempter figure than any of their previous villains.

Another promising sign, It didn't feel like they were yanking any of the main characters in directions they shouldn't go. Noah the burned out divorced guy, Peter trying to actually do some old fashioned good deeds, Parkman trying to settle into his new/old life, all of it felt right. Even Claire's freshman year, which I was dreading, turned out to be okay.

The Hiro storyline, I'm not so sure about yet - he's a clown, but wait, here's a deadly serious twist? We'll see.

The one think I don't like is how they seem to be suggesting that the Nathan personality as a mere facade. I know that's what others were expecting, but I was really hoping they would go with the idea that it was a real personality transfer. Of course, this being Heroes, they might very well change their minds. Again.

I dunno, I guess like many folks here I want to like it, but they have disappointed me so many times I don't want to get my hopes up.

13. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

How could the Nathan personality be anything but a facade? I didn't watch the ep, but I remember the finale. Nathan is dead. There's nothing to transfer. Only Matt's interpretation of Nathan's memories. That's not Nathan.

14. Aragorn

^ The whole Nathan thing reminds me of the Schwarzenegger movie The Sixth Day where the bad guys didn't worry about dying because they'd just be cloned again. But hello -- the clone isn't you! You're still dead!

15. Agent Richard07

It could be as clear cut as him being a copy and nothing more. Or the whole issue of consciousness, memory and what makes a person a person could come into play and an argument could be made that it is Nathan.

I look forward to seeing where they go with it.

16. Dorian Thompson

It's the Heroes writers. They won't go anywhere with it. Peter and Nathan never discussed Peter shooting him. They won't do much with this, if anything.

17. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

You know, I actually liked this two-parter. It has some good things about it. Not sure I like the "head-Sylar" storyline, as I've seen that in Farscape and BSG already.

Where is Mohinder? Did the new pal kill Claire's roommate? At least we have an exciting beginning. I'm only hoping that the writers don't totally screw this up.

18. Aragorn

If my memories were transferred into another person or an empty petri dish-grown body, before I died, it's not me because I'm still dead! If a clone was made of me with complete memories, it's still not me. You could say it's another version, but there is only one original.

19. Dorian Thompson

Ahhhhh, Farscape. Now that was a show that knew how to do character development.

20. Agent Richard07

The issue itself doesn't have to be so clear-cut. Now, what the writers actually do is another story, and like you, I'm not expecting too much. They will do something though and I'm still curious to see what it is.

That case can be made. Now if you want to throw in the whole issue of self awareness and what actually gets copied or transferred, you can do that too and then things aren't so simple.

Suppose you were told that you were a duplicate. You have self awareness as "you" and several decades of memory, so are you really a duplicate of another person? Are you somehow "you", but in another body? Does it matter? It's a big metaphysical issue that won't get resolved here anytime soon, but it's still worthy of consideration.