If Kras hadn't been killed in "Friday's Child"....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by t_smitts, Aug 16, 2013.

1. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

...do you think he might have returned in "Blood Oath", along with Kor, Kang, and Koloth?

Or do you think three original Klingons was enough?

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

For those racking their brains, Kras was the Klingon in "Friday's Child", played by Tige Andrews.

Possibly. Apparently Andrews was approached to be the main Klingon in "Trouble with Tribbles", but couldn't do it due to other commitments, so William Campbell got it instead. Other trivia: Andrews got the Kras job due to Shatner recommending him to the casting supervisor. It was his first sci-fi role, and he had a lot of fun with the part.

3. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know if he would have ended up in "Blood Oath," but I think Andrews sure would have given a more memorable performance than Ned Romero if his character survived so he could play the Klingon gun-runner in "A Private Little War."

4. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never heard of Trouble With Tribbles being offered to Tige Andrews. It was my understanding that William Campbell got the role because John Colicos was unavailable to reprise Kor.

5. Melakon

My source for that was Memory Alpha, which does mention the story as coming from a book I had (and is probably buried in a box around here somewhere).

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I liked Tige Andrews in the role of Kras and would certainly not have objected having him survive if only just to see him decades later to sit along side of Kor, Kang, and Koloth.

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For a while, Kras was endearingly nicknamed "Uncle Bob" by fans since the make-up was, shall we say, "subtle".

Sincerely,

Bill

8. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually it was "Bob the Discount Klingon" the nickname was circulated a few months prior to the actor's death..

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So you didn't consider it a Kras & Burn, then? :guffaw:

10. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kras also being the gunrunner in Private Little War (had Kras lived) is an interesting notion.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The Klingons of the second season didn't come across as well as those in first and even third season. Granted in "Errand Of Mercy" the focus was on John Colicos and on Michael Ansara in "Day Of The Dove," but Kang also had his wife Mara alongside which added some extra dimension to the hints we were getting of Klingon society. Even the unnamed Klingon Commander in "Elaan Of Troyius" had a measure of presence in what little we saw of him.

Tigre Andrews might have done well enough if he had returned, but much like William Campbell he came across as something of an afterthought. Absolute minimal make-up and behaviour (including speech) that was just too human like watered down any real sense of distinct character and presence.

12. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

D'oh, that's right. Eh, I knew there was a "Bob" somewhere in there.

Sincerely,

Bill

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Would that be "The Teeth of the Barracuda," the pilot for The Mod Squad? It was shot in 1967 (though the regular series began production in 1968).

14. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Why knock Ned Romero? He had about 4 lines and all of it exposition--he had no chance to show what he could do with some meat on the part.

He's a good actor. Came back on voyager years later too!

15. Melakon

My favorite Ned Romero performance was as Chief Joseph in the tv movie, I Will Fight No More Forever (1975). He's still around according to IMDB (about 87 now) and his last job was in 2006 it looks like. He began his entertainment career as an opera singer.

Trek God 1, it wasn't specified what Andrews' prior commitment was in the article.

16. Grant

I always loved IWFNMF. I saw it growing up first run in the 70s and he was great. He WAS great in it.

But he always played decent characters and perhaps he wasn't the best choice for a TOS Klingon, but it was a throwaway part.

Trivia:

Both Kras (Andrew's Klingon) and
    Krell (Romero's klingon)--never had their name mentioned during their episodes.

17. Melakon

The name Kras probably sounded too much like "crass" to mention it aloud.

18. Grant

And I wonder if "Krell" wasn't a tip of the hat to Forbidden Planet.

19. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No knock intended, really... he just didn't give a memorable performance and I thing Andrews would have... just a gut feeling.

20. Grant

You are right in a way.

If Kras hadn't died and they brought Andrews back--he would have matched his performance to that of "Friday's.." and sneered his lines with the same gusto.

But Romero was creating a NEW character with no substance in any of the new lines except a bit of expostiotion.

Maybe if Romero had played Kras in "Friday's.."--he would have developed some inflections and mannerisms that would have carried over as well.