Star Trek season 2 on Blu-ray [release date Sept. 22]

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by jefferiestubes8, Jul 10, 2009.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

http://trekmovie.com/2009/07/09/sta...e-trek-home-video-announcements-at-comic-con/

No official list of special features for season 2 yet.

related:
    the official season 1 on blu-ray thread:
    Star Trek season 1 on blu-ray: April 28

I love how this guy [comment 5] gives the prices for quadruple dips of obsolete formats:
    http://trekmovie.com/2009/07/09/sta...e-trek-home-video-announcements-at-comic-con/

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

This is totally offtopic, but this is my biggest Trek fan pet peeve. I don't get why it's so difficult for fans to comprehend what the word remastered means.

No, the "original and remastered versions" are not on blu-ray. Only the remastered episodes are on blu-ray. You can choose between remastered episodes with original FX or remastered episodes with new FX. No matter which you pick, it's all been remastered in HD.

The new transfer is what makes the show remastered, not new FX. Why is it virtually impossible for fans to get this?

Okay, done venting. Can't wait for season two...

:)

3. jefferiestubes8

No additional details yet.
    July 20, 2009
    Paramount Announces Trek Blu-ray Releases

4. Bones

Bones Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because the project itself was incorrectly named "Star Trek Remastered" http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/TOS/article/28095.html

Agree on your point about the peeve. However "TOSR" is a lot easier to say/write/discuss than "That Heretical Star Trek With Those Fancy New Special Effects That Destroyed A Beautiful Work Of Art" e.g. "THSTWTFNSETDABWOA".

Looking forward to S2 as well... ;)

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you missed Hober's point, but I don't see how he could have been more clear. He wasn't complaining about the new effects. He was simply stating that this phrase "...original and remastered version in HD..." is factually incorrect. Both versions of the episodes on the blu-ray are remastered; one has the original effects, while the other has the new CGI effects.

They took the original negatives, cleaned them up a bit, boosted the color and the black levels, then scanned them at a high resolution to make HD masters. That's the remastering.

Then, they inserted the new effects in one copy of the master. That's the version we saw on the boob tube.

We can watch either version of the HD remastered episodes on the blu-rays. Capisce?

Doug

6. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

I think part of it was----they didn't think there'd be market for the Remastered with the original FX.

So they intended the only 'remastered' version to only have the new FX. And therefore the two thing (new Fx and cleaned up picture) would be synonymous (sp)

When they saw there was a market for the HD versions with the original FX they then had to make two remastered versions. and it created an even more evident mistake in the naming they had started with in 2006.

7. Bones

Bones Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got his point but probably blurred that with my comment about the new spfx. I was attempting to parody the attitude of a specific subset of fans, not Hober in particular. I understood his comment "Can't wait for season two..." meant he was onboard with the whole thing.

8. jefferiestubes8

Amazon.com has a preorder for $74.99 already.

FYI
    back on April 28 the Blu-ray of season 1 [release date] was Best Buy retail store $65. + tax

9. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

10. man named Gorn

man named Gorn Lieutenant Red Shirt

That is truly impressive...man, Paramount is blowing me away with the work being done on these new Blu sets!

11. jefferiestubes8

Wow I missed that. You are correct. Hopefully they did not just do an upconversion from 480i to 1080p.
    There is interest from DS9 fans to remaster the series from these two threads.
    If they actually did a remaster on this episode it would be from the original camera negative and had to re-edit the show and the visual effects recreated... hmm. We'll see in September...

Edit to add:
    I wonder did they give the TAS episode the TOS-R remaster treatment from the original cut negative?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  12. Grant

I'm sure the DS9 episode is just an upconversion. It would have cost thousands to reassemble the film footage and re-edit it----not to mention redoing the FX shots.

But hey i'm really glad they included all of the 'Tribble' tie in episodes and material.

I'm buying this the first day.

13. Grant

Confirmed by THE DIGITAL BITS site..........

The DS9 episode is simply an up-convert not a complete redo.
    Still I'm glad they enclosed it.
    The animated episode IS true HD as it was made on film all the way.

14. jefferiestubes8

"The Trouble With Tribbles" (TOS)
    Brand New Audio Commentary by David Gerrold

"More Tribbles, More Troubles",
    from Memory Alpha.

This is pretty cool we get two commentaries from Gerrold about these 3 related Tribbles episodes (TOS, TAS, DS9) even though he only worked on 2. One in 2006 (TAS) and one recorded in 2009 (TOS).

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Pity they're not including that one Jeopardy! episode where tribbles gradually covered the set. :( :lol:

16. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

what's the deal with the season one set on amazon? They say they aren't selling it themselves, but the reason is a little nebulous.

17. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is weird. I wonder if it's something to do w/ the idiots in the Amazon discussions. They're complaining about either:
    1) the lossless audio is at a lower volume than other BDs/DVDs - so turn it up a bit! It's not enough of a difference to cause distortion.
    2) audio dropouts at branching points - it's been well documented that some BD players (Samsung & LG come to mind, because I have both and have heard the "skips") have a hard time w/ branching discs.

Doug

18. Grant

19. jefferiestubes8

new 7.1 sound on extra episodes remastered vs. 5.1 sound on DVD

for your comparison:
    "Star Trek: The Animated Series" DVD in 2006:
    http://trekmovie.com/2006/11/18/star-trek-the-animated-series-dvd-set-review/

from the November 21, 2006 "Star Trek: The Animated Series" DVD review:
    http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/startrekanimatedseries.php

from the December 20, 2006 "Star Trek: The Animated Series" DVD review:
    http://dvd.ign.com/articles/751/751836p1.html

and the DS9 season 5 on DVD review:
    http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/displaylegacy.php?ID=5628

20. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

I can't wait for season 2 on blu ray. I will buy it on the day its out if its at Walmart which is where I work.