Have you named your child after a sci fi character?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Prometheus, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

If I ever have kids, I'll name them Batman and Captain Robau. That way, they'll never get their asses kicked.

Well, Batman might get his ass handed to him when he is little...if he does, I'll just rename him NuKirk.

That is funny for many reasons.

2. PluckyNinja

PluckyNinja Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My niece is named after Kira Nerys, but spelled Kearah. My cousin named one of her daughters Arwen.

3. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always joked that if my wife (whoever she may be) lets me I'll name our daughter Aeryn Kara Serenity Bishop (the Bishop being my surname - not that of the android from Aliens :p)

4. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, Bishop is also an Xman. FYI.

I tried but the wife had a few things to say about our son's name. I wanted Cameron or DeForest but she didn't like "Cam" and she thought DeForest would make his schoolyears miserable. I also tried for Bob(for Bob Justman) but she said it was too common.:rolleyes:

5. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good point! But we seem to have been on a bit of an Aliens kick on the board recently, so he didn't leap to mind. Plus it doesn't matter: IT's MY FUCKING NAME! :p

6. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

named my cat Dub Dub or Dubby in reference to Wendy "Dubby" Watson from The Middleman

7. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't have a chance. My girlfriend-soon-to-be-fiancee has already decided on the names of the children.

Though I might have managed to slip Jean-Luc (since it has an L in it and she's fond of that particular letter).

8. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My kids aren't named after any, but my son's friend is named Ronan (as in "The Accuser"). Spelled the same way, too.

9. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Given that my girlfriend is a science fiction enthusiast like me, it is a possibility. However, being English-based, most sci-fi names sound really weird in Italian, so the eventual kid would probably have to deal with a lot of grief and misspelling in life. Not sure if it would be worth it.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The runner-up for my name was of a literary variety.

I'm using that for a novel I'm currently writing.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

My friend's kids are Arwen, Kryan, and Griffin. I have had cats over the years named Klaatu, Berata, and Nektu.

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Well, my sister was determined to name her son "Matthew Jackson" (first and middle name) but I talked her out of it.

I told her she should give him a classic , Presidential-sounding name, like Harrison. She agreed, and the boy's 11 years old now.

I never told her that it was really because of Harrison Ford. :D

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, Jackson is a presidential name (as in Andrew) -- and so is Matthew within the West Wing universe (Matt Santos).

14. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

A guy I know form church is named Jor-El [who by the way has the most badass myspace profile picture ever]. His recently born children are Kal-El and Kara. Oh, and a girl I knew was named Amanda after Spock's mom.

15. Finnegan

Finnegan Captain Captain

I've named my guinea pig Nibbler.
    And yes, *sigh*, I suggested the name Thomas William to my wife for our son when he was born, from the TNG episodes with the duplicated Riker from a transporter malfunction. She bought it. He's 10 now, and she still has no idea it's a Trek reference....I'm not evil.....am I?

16. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

My friend's daughter is named Kira, but it's after the character from The Dark Crystal.

17. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read of somebody yelling at their 3 children Adric, Nyssa, and Tegan.

18. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

:lol:

I have a cat named Alistair, after the Brigadier from Doctor Who, Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.

I would if I thought the name sounded nice and was transparent enough that it wouldn't be immediately pointed out and said child teased.

19. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

My neighbor's kids were looking for a cat name, and I suggested Nyssa. They went for it, but the kids had seen enough Who to get the reference. Though their parents misspelled it "Nissa".

My parents' current cat was named "Carmel" when she came home from the pet store, which we weren't terribly fond of. We were deliberating a name and watching Stargate SG-1 at the same time, and who should show up but Samantha Carter? So the cat became, quite naturally, Samantha Carmel.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

A few years ago, I was torn. Did I want to name the new cats Fafnir and Sigurd or Percival and Galahad?

I went with the Arthurian names. They were easier for others to pronounce. :)