Is Primeval New World worth watching?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by chardman, Feb 13, 2013.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

But the ratings on Syfy have nothing to do with whether or not R:NW or Sinbad got renewed or cancelled either for that matter. Syfy has both series now and can air them as they like as long as they have the rights to the shows, they seem to have brought some older shows recently in marathons like Highlander.

2. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

^^As both shows were imports and not originated by Syfy, the main issue was the network leaving both on, as opposed to yanking them at the first sign of trouble (compared to the succes they had with their movies that the series displaced).

An import, one that doesn't cost as much to acquire than an original, would be more vulnerable to weaker performance than say, the more expensive Defiance, which would be left on for it's full run-unless it's numbers tanked so badly, they'd have no choice but move it off or to another day and time.. .

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I'm not, they were both shite.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

To the best of my knowledge, Syfy/SciFi has never pulled an original series off the air during its run. I believe that, as with syndicated shows, they're contractually obligated to air the whole season in the scheduled time slot (or at least on the scheduled night). It's only their imports that they pull midseason when they underperform.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Caprica only aired a couple/few episodes of the second half of S1, then pulled it for a few months and burned it all off on a single night, shortly after new Years. But, yea, for the most part, if they paid to produce it, they generally run it weekly until it's done.

Odyssey 5, not an import, but, a rerun purchase from a Pay channel (Showtime?) only ran 2 or 3 (maybe 4?) episodes and then burned the rest off in the middle of the night (Though, I believe that was weekly, so, technically, they just gave it a new time slot, a really, really, crappy one)

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Tremors I think was the first series Syfy took off the air early.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I skimmed through a little bit of the episode guide entries for the last few episodes on wikipedia, and Ep 9 introduces a new arc that runs through those last few episodes.

8. Christopher

^Oops -- I goofed by calling Sinbad an American production. It is, of course, a British show. Maybe I should've said "a Western Sinbad production."

9. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

And the numbers are in...the third airing of Sharknado-back on the B-movie's regular Saturday time period, chomped down 2.1 million viewers...a new network record.
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/30/wow-sharknado-ratings-record-repeat/

Sigh. Perhaps P:NW should've had sharks pouring thru the anomalies from a shark infested shark world, with Sinbad chased by sharks in his adventures.. :brickwall:

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

But, there was a BugNado episode.....

11. Christopher

As someone said before, they picked the wrong time slot. The audience that comes to Syfy on Saturday nights isn't expecting the kind of scripted dramas that Syfy offers on Monday nights or on Fridays at 10.

12. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the impression that since the shows had been cancelled in their mother countries before Syfy aired them, that the Saturday scheduling was a burn off itself. And perhaps they were experimenting with adding scripted series on Saturdays, but it failed.

I think they would have better luck airing on Sundays, with the understanding that they won't get stellar ratings when the broadcast networks start airing original content.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had the same thought about it being on Sat. nights. I was kind of hoping maybe they would pair one of them up with Continuum, but instead they just show repeats of stuff from earlier in the week.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Surely if you have a ratings box, they give you a dvr, or there's a dvr built into the ratings box.

"No sorry, no dvr for you, you sir are representative of the demographic who still think it's 1987."

Meanwhile, Showcase is an on demand service, subscribers need to pay monthly for the privilege of a decoder box to view, which means they get REAL numbers, rather than proportionally represented guestimates what like the Nielson Families hands out.

I believe that a show gets full marks if you watch it as it airs and half marks if you watch it time shifted, so really in any case it still doesn't matter when they air a show if the decoder box is robotically recording the show, or you can request a viewing from demand at any point.

I also hear that some cable companies can "feel" if you've wired a DVR into your TV and you have to pay an extra fee to make sure that it doesn't cock up when you could be stealing their media... Methinks a classic VCR would slide under the radar.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't have DVR. I watch stuff either live, online, or on DVD.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I worked nights in the 1990s, I used to have 2 vcrs running at the same time, so that I could record 12 hours of TV on any two tv stations at the same time until I got home.

Fast forwarding through the ads at first, was orgasmic.

I don't own a dvr.

Hell, you need 200 dollars worth of cable box decoder to watch regular free tv now, because Bunny ears are no longer smart enough to figure out TV.

And I don't have one of those either.

TV has turned against me.

It's a good thing I'm not your eye for an eye sort of person.