Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chuck Finley, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Tritto for me! Though I'll probably wait 15 minutes so I can fast-forward through all the commercials. I say Walt dies. We'll see.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

"Felina"

I wouldn't put this finale among the most brilliant I've seen but it was excellent and very satisfying.

- It was a wrap-up episode and wraped things up they did.

- It felt like the modicum of redemption I was expecting.

- So, the ricin was for Lydia after all.

- The way he got Elliott and Gretchen to give Flynn the money was brilliant.

- The M-60 setup Walt used to take down the Nazis was also brilliant.

- Having the last scene take place in the meth lab was very fitting. It ended where it began.

3. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I agree Agent Richard07, I wouldn't rank this in my top 5 of series finales, but it did tie everything up really well and I feel it ended the show perfectly.

4. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One of the few series finales to actually not disappoint me. Loved it. So glad it didn't fail like Lost and BSG.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

This might be the first great serialized drama whose finale delivered on promise.

6. Agent Richard07

I think this was the first time that Walt was full-on bad and accepting of that fact. Up until now, he was a scared man who was in over his head.

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Not much I could complain about with this finale. Excellently done.

8. Agent Richard07

Some of the most brilliant finales for me include Battlestar Galactica, Six Feet Under and The Shield, but not Lost.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The last couple episodes after Hank died have been a very slow pace, and I loved it. it fit the show perfectly, and wrapped up all the story lines and we saw people we didn't expect to.

Also the camera work was brilliant. The rich brats house with the camera angles far away. His old house with the lighting coming in, the zoom in at his family's house. Beautiful.

10. Agent Richard07

Watching Talking Bad and Vince explained why Walt took the watch off and put it on the phone... They were correcting a continuity error. They shot a flash-forward scene back at the beginning of the season where he wasn't wearing a watch, so they had to find a way to get rid of it. :lol:

11. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

My favourite series finales are: 1) Star Trek: TNG; 2) The Shield; 3) BSG; 4) Star Trek: DS9; 5) The X-Files (I'm sure this is controversial).

I wouldn't say that Breaking Bad's finale is as good as those (in my opinion), but it still ended the show perfectly.

12. bigdaddy

I'd say it's one of my favorites because it did what it was supposed to and did it well.

In no order some of my favorites, Breaking Bad, TNG, Six Feet Under, The West Wing.

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I don't think there was anything that could have matched my extremely high expectations for the finale, but despite a slow start, it hit all the necessary points one would anticipate, and wrapped things up in a very satisfactory way. B+.

I figured Badger and Skinny Pete were going to be making a comeback from Gilligan's hint last week about "woodwork," and about halfway through the laser sight thing I guessed that it was them. Walt hiring some professional hitmen just isn't his style. Great scene with them in the car.

I was wondering why Walt was letting Gretchen and Elliot go without any threat or harassment given his anger at them in Granite State, but then he waved his hands and the laser sights came on. I feel bad for them, but that was pretty awesome.

That was a nice scene with some closure between Walt and Skylar. It was good to see him be honest to her finally.

It was great that Walt took down the Nazis with one last bit of science/engineering rather than just manning the gun himself.

Lydia being poisoned with the ricin in the Stevia packet was obvious, but still satisfying, as was Jesse getting to kill Meth Damon finally.

Walt dying after achieving some small bit of redemption and closure was about the best way this could have ended, and I'm happy with it.

The finale wasn't the best episode of the series or even this season (the episode where Hank dies and Skylar pulls the knife on Walt was superior), but given how amazing this show and season have been, it was still an excellent way to close out the series.

14. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Fantastic! Sure, it wasn't the BEST finale ever, but it was the right one for "Breaking Bad." It's rare for a great series to go out on top.

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I thought it was good but not great. A lot of good individual scenes but I'm not sure it added up as well as it could. I found the last ten minutes to be rather off for this show.

16. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agree with all of that list except BSG, I hated that finale. Best series finale in my opinion is Babylon 5.

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I don't think Walt is dead. He was gutshot, yes, but he didn't lose enough blood. I believe he passed out but not dead. There was no dialog or real definitive proof to be certain. If there's ever going to be a spin-off, they'll at least want an option there for a cameo. Either way, he's dead from the cancer sooner or later.

Jesse taking out Todd was awesome; Lydia's demise and that of the Neo's was predictable but enjoyable. This was definitely one of the best finales I've seen. We'll done!

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I loved BSG, but after New Caprica the show lost a lot of steam really fast, and while I liked the military part of the angle, the 'God did everything' angle really sucked.

There were some episodic shows that had better finales than Breaking Bad, but as for the really serialized premium channel style dramas, of the sort that require high viewer investment, most of them had last seasons that were far lower quality than their first seasons. Like, last season of Sopranos was good, but it was nothing compared to the first two.

Breaking Bad, the last season was the best season. They ended the show at it's peak rather than letting it sputter.

I would probably have to go with TNG as my favorite finale. But I struggle to think of other really good ones. DS9, yeah. How many shows out there truly knew when to quit? How many great shows are there that didn't drop starkly in quality before ending? Some had crappy last seasons then redemptive finales (Twin Peaks, Babylon 5, Six Feet Under, etc), but how many great shows that ended of their own accord didn't end years after they should have?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  19. bigdaddy

The spinoff is a prequel as in pre. :p

20. Agent Richard07

When the show started, I didn't know how they could do a long-running series. I mean, a teacher and his sidekick former student cook meth and sell it? Great premise, but what can they squeeze out of that? I figured it would have made a good one-season show at best. Then by the end of season 4, I figured that they could go on a few more seasons now that Walt was top dog. Now I'm thinking that although they could have extended the story of Walt's empire a bit, they did in fact tell the story that needed to be told and the timing for the show's end was appropriate.