Star Trek Continues posted solicitation on Facebook

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Wingsley, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That was the thing that appealed to me about it, and when I rewrote the sadly unfilmed "The Atlantis Invaders" my mantra was "these are professionals, and they should act it". For instance, I had a scene where Cutty popped off two phasers shots, at night, and took out two targets and long range because that's what he's trained to do. The characters could disagree, and even be catty in casual circumstances, but when the situation got serious, so did they.

I also liked that Exeter remembered what the original show was like: it wasn't a "family". It was a crew.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the Exeter characters were each caught up in the trajectory of their own careers to a greater extent than the Enterprise crew have eventually been portrayed to be. Well, except for B'Fuselek; who knows what's going on with that guy? :lol:

3. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Well, Pike was highly conflicted from the get go, and Kirk was conflicted as well. He questioned his command judgement when crew members died. I'm sure if the series had gone on his back story would had gotten more conflicted as it did with Carol Marcus.
    When TNG premiered, my local paper pegged Patrick Stewart's Picard as a cold monolithic character that was half alive and that some people are actually content to go through life half alive. Wow, what a review right off the bat.

4. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Of course, that "half-alive" issue was addressed brilliantly in "Tapestry".

5. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I've always liked the Exeter characters, who really felt like a fresh take on things. I also have no problem with James Cawley as Kirk. I haven't seen enough of Vic's Kirk to know what I think.

6. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I really want to see the new Continues episode before I make a full judgement on Vic's Kirk. From what I have seen, he's got the body language down pat but the voice doesn't work as well for me. I think part of it is that the look is so convincing that Vic's very different voice stands out more.

Another thing I like is that Continues and Phase 2 seem to be taking very different but complementary directions, with Continues following directly on from TOS and Phase 2 drawing from the unfilmed 70's series and even TAS.

Then again, I'll take all the TOS-era fan films I can get.

7. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I can't understand judging a series after only its first episode, (unless it's a one-shot) ... let alone after a few short films (I refuse to use that weird 'v' word)... when not even the first full episode has been released. geez louise... I'm not against judging, but judging requires EVIDENCE. Wait until Episode 2 of Continues ... THEN judge.

8. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

^^^ I couldn't agree more. What I've seen is promising in several areas. Personality issues are not of any interest to me. I don't want to be friends with the cast members: I want their product to entertain me. It's wonderful if actors are warm, fuzzy teddy bears in real life, but that wasn't the case with a lot of the actors from the professional series and it didn't have any impact on my enjoyment of them. I don't see why a fan produced series should be any different.

9. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought I'd be able to get it done, but I won't be able to finish my entry in time. If I had seen this early and had the full amount of time I would have been ok, but a week just wasn't enough time. If anyone is interested, I may post my treatment when I do finish it.

10. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Except that he still came back half dead. :guffaw: