Do you watch the same stuff over and over?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a fair amount of DVDs and Blu-Rays, but I always end up watching the same ones over and over again. There's like 3 or 4 discs I have that do this to me. I think it's because of what they are all about (baseball :D ), and lots of times I get really down in the dumps and I feel they are an excellent pick-me-up. Anyway here they are. You will not be surprised at this:

MLB Bloopers: The Funny Side Of Baseball
    (I swear this is my absolute favorite DVD that I have ever owned. I watch it almost every night!)

Yankee Stadium: Baseball's Cathedral

Shea Goodbye: 45 Years Of Amazin'

And the first half hour of the September 21,2001 game between the Braves and the Mets at Shea Stadium. (It's on the 'Essential Games Of Shea Stadium' collection.) It's the first baseball game played in NYC after 9/11. The opening ceremonies are just so moving to watch. After that, I jump straight to the bottom of the 8th inning so I can watch Mike Piazza's home run. :techman:

So are there any discs that you all have, where you do this? Watch the same ones over and over no matter how much other stuff you have in your collection? If so, what is it about this stuff that makes you do that? (As I said, I love baseball, and it is a great morale booster for me. That's why I do these things...)

I know one thing: come December 15, I will add another entry to this list. Specifically: the 2009 World Series. :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, some Buffy discs, some SG1 discs, and a self-burned disc of the gone-and-lamented sitcom "The Class" (I love Heather Goldenhersh) are my most frequent go-to material -- especially when I'm puttering around the apartment and just want some background noise on.

3. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 2 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are probably my most-watched discs. Otherwise there's not much I really come back to time and time again...I've watched my Arrested Development DVDs through a few times from start to finish but that's about it.

4. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Movies.
    The Shadow (as mentioned in another thread elsewhere)
    Still Crazy
    O Brother Where Art Thou
    The Bourne films
    The Transporter films
    Good Night And Good Luck
    Alien
    PotC 1 (not so much 2 & 3)
    Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow
    St Trinian's
    The Mummy /Returns

TV shows:
    Black Books
    IT Crowd
    Blackadder
    Burn Notice (maybe)
    ST Voyager (no comments plz)
    Frasier
    Dr Who
    Red Dwarf
    One Foot In The Grave
    The West Wing

The thing about the TV shows is I go to them far less often as there is so much new product coming along that there isn't enough time to watch old stuff.

5. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rewatch Buffy, Angel, and Doctor Who a lot.

6. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really. I tend to move on from TV show to TV show and movies don't get over watched much.

The closest would be the Simspons for TV shows. As for movies, probably Dumb and Dumber finds its way into the player now and again. But I can't think of any DVDs that I'd immediately go to no matter what.

7. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I tend to pop in Eddie Izzard's Dressed To Kill a lot. I also revisit specific SG-1 and B5 episodes, but with a DVR I can barely keep up with new stuff.

8. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I'm on my third run-through of Star Trek: The Next Generation on DVD. Most of the episodes I had already seen on videotape several times before I got the DVDs. I seem to never get tired of this show. I'm watching two or three episodes a week so it will take me quite a while to get through it all again. I'm watching other new stuff as well. In fact I watch quite a bit more new stuff than I watch old stuff in general. Most series, even the ones I own on DVD, I only end up watching once. I buy DVDs mainly for convenience rather than rewatchability.

edit:
    Ah, forgot about the Simpsons. I haven't done a run-through recently, but I've probably seen every episode from the 2nd to 9th season at least 4 times each.

9. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Yeah, I go through phases when re-watching stuff I've seen is more appealing than seeking out anything new.

10. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Not if I can help it. Occasionally I will revisit something I have enjoyed in the past, but I'd rather watch something I haven't seen before. If I'm going to re-watch something, I'd prefer it to be something I haven't seen in a decade or more.

11. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Yeah.. I don't rewatch movies liek I used to. I watch my TV DVD's.

I rewatch Supernatural, Smallville, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Firefly, sawson's Creek, Party of Five, The OC, Friday Night Lights and One Tree Hill.

12. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

Mostly Sci-Fi and/or fantasy stuff for me. I'll watch re-runs of all Trek series, Stargate... all of those I watched religiously on original air. But just that. Series that I do watch now that are not Sci-Fi like House, for example, I don't re-watch.

The same goes for movies. The Trek movies, the Star Wars movies, the LOTRs... Maybe a few rare comedies as well but that's it.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watch Star Trek: First Contact, The Prestige, and The Lord of the Rings a lot.

As for TV, Lost gets watched way more than it should.

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really. There's far too many great shows to watch and not nearly enough time to watch them all to spend time re-watching shows you've already seen.

I will rewatch stuff occasionally, but generally I prefer to watch something new.

15. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

I'm single and work at home so I don't lose any hours to travel time or argue over who gets to watch what and other distractions. LOL :>)) Also, I take great advantage of rewatchigng stuff over the winter break and during the summer. During the regular TV season I have generally a minimum of 5 hours of tv recorded a night, and often a lot more, spread across two DVR's. The only nights of tv I have less than 5 are saturday and sunday. So suring the regular TV season not a lot of rewatching going on but there is a bit on occassion. But during the winter break and summer I watch old DVD's all the time and try and pick up new shows on DVD to watch.

16. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My DVD habits come and go in waves. There may be a period of time where I'm feeling nostalgic about a specific series so I'll watch that. Then I might get in the random mood to watch something else. There may be a DVD that sits on my shelf for months before I pick it up again. Others perhaps get viewed more frequently, but I have a pretty large collection so there's plenty of variety.

17. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I have a tendency to get hooked on certain things (tv shows, books, etc.) and keep on with them until I wear them out.

This sometimes means watching DVDs of a tv show until I've watched them straight through (even if it's one I've watched several times before). [Ex. I re-watched all of my DS9 DVDs in the week or two right before beginning my undergraduate degree.]

This sometimes means reading through one book series until I've reached the end (such as catching up on old trek).

This sometimes means drinking only water or only powerade or only gatorade until I get sick of it.

That's probably why I never bothered to try alcohol or illegal drugs. I obviously have an addictive personality. Though, I do have a tendency to switch patterns eventually. It just takes a while, and it usually involves reaching a natural end-point (like the end of a show on DVD or the latest book in a series, etc.).

18. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I tend to rewatch my TV DVDs far more often than my movie ones. With a film, you only get two hours or so to tell a story. Good TV allows you years to work through an arc.

I watch Dr Who, Firefly, Red Dwarf, Buffy, Angel, and Star Trek DVDs often. I tend to watch the Whedon ones more often than the Treks (sacreligiously, on this site, maybe) because they seem to be more arc-based, with things you didn't notice the last time around.

19. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. I only ever buy stuff on DVD that I expect to watch multiple times.

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral