DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was interesting that the two-parter that featured the LoSH was clearly meant to occur after the Y1 story.

Still who is the dwarf with the glasses. Is he another time traveler?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I picked up on that as well...it very much was implied that it was an established Superman that traveled back with the Legion foundations in that two parter I thought.

Also interesting to find out that it was Luthor who was Clark's source on the Glenmorgan expose.

3. Hound of UIster

The story was clearly meant to be shipped after the Morales drawn origin since there are more hints of the glasses guy plus many of the new villains such as Nimrod, but I guess the delays forced them to run it in the middle of the Morales story.

4. Admiral_Young

Don't know who the dwarf with the glasses is...I thought it was someone like a time traveller, haven't seen any speculation on who he might be. I'm still fond of my suggestion that the landlord is Myx in disguise! Wouldn't put it past Morrison to reveal this later on. Everything and everyone usually serves some kind of a purpose in his work.

5. Hound of UIster

Maybe one of Mxy's female relatives. Don't think it's Mxy himself.

6. Admiral_Young

^ Ahhh good point. Someone from his dimension and species though. She has that whimsical look about her. :)

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Picked up and enjoyed Action Comics #8 today, and with that purchase, thus does my dalliance with DC's "New 52" come to an end.

Still picking up Batman Beyond, which was the only DC book that I was buying before the relaunch, so I am now right back where I started. :lol:

8. Admiral_Young

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    While the 80's toon holds nostalgia for me and I can't say that as an adult I've rewatched them all; I have however watched all 39 episodes of the '03-'05 series and that storytelling/updating is most impressive.

Normally I might wait for a trade on this but I'm likely to buy this He-Man off the stand in show of support. The fact Robinson is writing it enhances my interest to support it. Loved his Starman and JLA.

Also earlier today I finished my weeks new books

Swamp Thing #8 - good stuff, the first full issue with Alec as Swampy. The reveal of Abby's transformation is a bit disheartening but somehow I'm guessing their is a reset for her out of the Rot's grasp.

Animal Man #8 - I'm really losing interest. Only sticking around now cause it seems to not only be headed to a crossover with Swamp Thing but also Frank Agent of Shade. This book is on notice--it has four more issues, issues I feel will tie into the aforementioned books.

10. Admiral_Young

^ You mean the 02 series ;) It is known in the fandom as MOTU 200x :) Despite airing until 2004. This is interesting as the premise doesn't seem to fit into any previous era of MOTU and is it's own entity. James Robinson writing fills me with great hope and Philip Tan on art is exciting as well.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DC was the first comic company to hold the He-Man license way back before then even was a cartoon, so welcome home Masters of the Universe. I imagine they won't team up with Superman this time around.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I've not read Detective yet, but I really enjoyed Action though I didn't much like the art in the second part of the book (it seems like a different artist did the last few pages than did the first.)

But overall it wasn't too bad an issue.

14. Admiral_Young

Yeah I doubt there will be a crossover of any kind either. As I mentioned, this seems like it's own entity and not part of any previous MOTU continuity. I was surprised that DC got the licence since Sony has the film rights now after Warner Bros failed to develop a film. I think that is who has it now.

@Trekker...that's because it was a different artist :) In fact there were six artists on issue 8. Rags Morales, plus Brad Walker, Rick Bryant, Bob McLeod, Brad Anderson, and David Curiel. I don't know any of the later. Morales did the art in the main story. I suspect this was to prevent it from being late.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It's really surprising DC has He-Man since for the last 10-15yrs the licensed material has gone to places like Dark Horse, IDW and Dynamite.

16. Admiral_Young

I'm guessing Matty wanted more exposure and as indicated above they have history with the big two. IIRC the 2002 comic license was with Image.

17. Hound of UIster

The second part is a different story. The first story is by Grant Morrison and Rags Morales. The second one is by Sholly Fisch and Brad Walker.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, I know there were a couple artists in it, the change was just jarring and the art wasn't quite as good, the grins on Superman and the "mayor" of Metropolis in their panels were just off looking. (Starting with the page where the "mayor" gives Superman a key to the city.)

Then there's the shot of "Clark Kent" leaving his parents' grave on a windy day where he looks like a cross between Jeff Goldblum and John Lennon, followed a couple pages later by another shot of Superman with way too goofy of a grin.

19. Admiral_Young

Yep. I agree. Same with most reviews I've read about the art. The facial expressions were just ridiculous.

20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

After the opening JL arc and the (much better) Action Comics arc, I wish that DC would publish two or three series set in the past. A Superman series and a JL series (similar to the old Classified series) would be a great way to fill in the new history behind our characters. In addition to original stories, we could get new versions of the Death of Superman story and such.