Cowboys & Aliens: Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 29, 2011.

?

How do you grade Cowboys & Aliens?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2012.
  1. A

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  2. B

26 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. C

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. D

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. F

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Cowboys & Aliens opens tomorrow, July29 and stars:
    Harrison Ford
    Daniel Craig
    Olivia Wilde
    Sam Rockwell

[​IMG]

RottenTomatoes grade is: xxx
    Yahoo! Movies grade is: xxx
    MetaCritic's grade is: xxx

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Not to distract the conversation too far from the film, but I'm curious as to where this is supposed to take place. And let me preface that, yes, I know it's fiction. :p

I don't know much about the comic, but the Wiki page says SC, Arizona. Some of the film's info pages say Arizona and some say New Mexico.

Historically, the NM territory which consisted of NM, AZ, and parts of UT and CO was divided on a north/south or UN/CON axis during the war. But after the war, the territories were divided into pretty much the present day states which puts Silver City was back in New Mexico. The film takes place a decade after the war. And, as far as I know, there is no Silver City AZ--at least not one with any significance.

I was just wondering if anyone knew as I'm a bit of a NM historian--not to suggest this has anything to do with history. ;)

3. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

That was fun. It was really fun. I was smiling the entire way through it. An A from me.

4. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

After a quick browse of the Wiki page for the comic, the story seems almost entirely different from the movie. And while I don't know if they made it clear that it took place in New Mexico or Arizona (the wiki says Arizona, though I thought New Mexico...), I do remember that it took place in Absolution and not Silver City. And neither New Mexico nor Arizona seem to have an Absolution.

Agreed.

It had Cowboys, and it had Aliens. And it was nice to see Indiana Solo back in action.

Not a great film, but I had a lot of fun.

5. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Hoping to see this over the weekend, and glad that you guys enjoyed it; always good to hear positive reviews from fellow BBSers.

Now, the thing that I want to know is whether Olivia Wilde appears naked or not.

:drool:

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Don't know, but she looks nice.

[​IMG]

7. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Thanks, 07!

:techman:

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Debating whether to see this or Captain America again.

I want it to be fun and kickass, but there's an awful lot of critics describing it as being pretty dull and generic...

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

This.

And once again, nice av Proc. Even in misery Ally is win.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Ten bucks the sequel to Cowboys & Aliens will be released sooner than Abramstrek 2. :devil:

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

You think they'll be a sequel to this, given the weak reviews and word of mouth so far? Are there more comics than the ones this film adapted?

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha, most reviews criticize the script. Amazing. Apparently, what was good enough for Star Trek or Iron Man (can ignore plot holes it as long as it is exciting) isn't good enough here.

13. davejames

Well often if a movie is fun or stylish or charming enough (as those two were), it's a lot easier to overlook the story problems.

If a movie like Cowboys and Aliens is completely lacking in those areas, you're only really left with the story to entertain you. And it better be damn good.

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

B

-Nowhere near as awesome as "Battle: LA." I know others will disagree. That's just my take.

-Olivia Wilde...SCHWINNNNNGG! (My usual reaction to seeing Olivia Wilde on a widescreen.)

-It's always interesting to actually see Clancy Brown act, as opposed to just listening to a voice-over. That's how closely I associate him with Lex Luthor.

-Daniel Craig was okay. Harrison Ford was better-than-okay. Everybody else was okay-but-not-blowing-my-skirt-up, so I'm forced to return to...

-Olivia Wilde...SCHWINNNNGG!!

-The aliens' "second hands" kept reminding me of something I read in a prose book ages ago, where the chief aliens were small simians with a third hand for precision work.

-It was actually kinda cool the way the alien ship blended into the stone bluffs.

-It was actually uncool the way the thing used conventional rockets for take off. Why not do something UFO-glowy instead?

You only see her from the back and all the fun parts are blocked, but yes, she's nekkid in one scene.

15. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I'd rate it about a B. Competent action story, but it lacks the great characterization necessary to go to the next level.

In particular, Daniel Craig's character is really underwritten. The script doesn't do a very good job of putting us inside his head. He's great in a fight, though. Also, Daniel Craig doesn't have much luck with the ladies for an action star - his Bond averages a measly one shag per movie, and here not one but both of his love interests die on him, having achieved nothing more than first base with the latter.

Harrison Ford did better; this is one of his more memorable parts in a while. He had the most affecting scene in the movie, the death of Adam Beach's character. But the resolution with his blood son just rings false; Percy was a feckless idiot at the start of the movie (though fun to watch Daniel Craig beat up and maim), and there's no story space indicating that's changed.

Olivia Wilde being an alien makes her casting a bit less odd, because early on I was thinking that she doesn't fit very well into the period compared to everyone else. She was deliberately impassive for the most part, but I liked that Ella was her own character and arguably was the real hero in the end, rather than just a love interest.

Oh hai, Faux Aang!

I was surprised at first when it looked like they had killed the dog, but then he turned up.

And last but not least, Clancy Brown as a good guy! A preacher, even. That's not something you see every day.

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Clancy as a Preacher? Guess they liked Carnivale...

17. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Many thanks. I love the look on her face; it matches my own misery in this unrelenting heat.

Back to the movie, after reading all the additional comments, I'm now beginning to think that we might let this one become a rental and not a theatrical experience. The review in today's Plain Dealer was less than glowing as well, so I think I'll hold out for Rise of the Planet of the Apes next month.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oops. Looks like another floppish opening.

I know it's not their fault, but this movie was doomed when Robert Downey Jr pulled out. The daffy premise really needs actors who can walk the action-comedy tightrope. Robert Downey Jr and Harrison Ford can do that, but Daniel Craig is strictly an action guy.

19. davejames

Was anyone seriously expecting this to be a monster hit? A $45 mil weekend is about the range I was expecting. Especially for something at the end of July.

20. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

It took me a really long time to get into this film. I guess I ended up enjoying it for the most part.

This is easily the best role Harrison Ford has had in years. He's plenty involved in the action and definitely has the most emotional moments in the film.