Does Superman Need A Make-Over?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Aug 18, 2010.

?

Does Superman Need A Make-Over?

Poll closed Nov 16, 2010.
  1. No. The Traditional Look Is Fine.

74.4%
  2. Yes...Like Superman Returns.

16.3%
  3. Yes...Like Superman X.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes...Like Clark's Outfit Smallville S9.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes...Something Totally Different Though.

9.3%
  6. Meh...Whatever.

9.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't like the concept of Superman X but liked the suit design. As for Lex...I wish we could have had the corporate mongrel/mad scientist (like what Paul Cornell is writing in Action Comics and Grant Morrison used in JLA) Luthor instead of the scheming petty criminal who's obsessed with land and real estate. One of my problems with the film versions of Luthor was that he came up with all these grand plans but what they all ultimately came down to was overblown real estate schemes!!!!! At least in "Superman Returns" you had Luthor show a little of his viciousness in the scene where he attacks and stabs Supes with the broken piece of Kryptonite. I like the idea of a film where Luthor is present back in the background or not vital to the story.

2. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I've always found this version of Superman boring. Gimme 1938-39 Superman anyday. He wasn't naive, and he fought for the common man. He was an outlaw ass kicker taking on corporate abuses, corruption and whatever the hell else pissed him off, with the cops trying to arrest him.

Somewhere along the way, he became a boring boyscout working to maintain the status quo. But that's not how he started. Someone once said that 1938-39 Superman was the most subversive mainstream super hero, even moreso than Batman.....I agree.

Let's see Hollywood make *that* Superman movie! :lol:

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    I think his powers would have to be tuned down a bit...like they were in that time...but I would see that movie. :)

4. Admiral_Young

I think they should make a Superman film based on "Superdickery"

5. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

The thing is if you change anything..the change just sticks out too much.

Who cares if when you really think about his suit is garish and silly....we're all used to it, we like it, so we accept it and just make another movie.

6. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Unfortunately we the fans can be fine with the \S/uit...but the Nolans will most likely change it up a bit so it is unique to their film.

7. Admiral_Young

^ Well this shouldn't come as surprising since Bryan Singer did the same thing. It's only a natural response from a filmmaker wanting to make their own mark, bring something new to the character. Honestly I'm excited to see what the Nolans and Goyer come up with.

8. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

If I was making a Superman film...I would design it closer to the Reeve suit...if not complete the same with different fabrics.

[​IMG]

9. Admiral_Young

I would adapt Gary Frank's design which is a homage to the Chris Reeve suit.

10. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

The "Reeve" suit was the classic Superman suit, with the one exception that they bent the top serif on the S. Otherwise it exactly matched the comic book version.

11. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

The only makeover Superman needs is a better film to star in.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A mullet would be nice. Who's with me? ;)

13. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trivia. As I said, no real difference.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only Superman makeover I would ever want is not exactly a makeover, but rather a guest shot...

...by Ultraman.

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well the new Superman will have to reflect current trends, so he'll need an emo haircut and sleeves that cover his wrists so no one knows that he's been cutting himself.

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

This is why a Bizarro Superman movie would work right now...Lady Gaga could do the theme. :lol:

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

She could be an updated version of that weird robot female from "Superman 3"

19. Admiral_Young

Do not mention "Bizzaro Superman movie" worst script I ever read. I deleted it from my files after reading it. An interesting idea that was poorly executed and written.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure about naive per se but I think a story could be made of a very moral and upright Superman. I like the idea that he might elevate those around him by virtue of his virtue. Just because Superman is this way doesn't mean he couldn't be in a world of corruption, decay, and injustice. Done right, I think it could be even provocative and question of the way many people live among their fellow men. Maybe focus on how Superman touches the lives of a few down-and-out people (along with some serious ass-kicking and superheroics).