The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

WANT!!!!

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    My Toys 'R' Us currenly carries a couple of Bruce Lee action figures with exceptionally lifelike head sculpts, but their bodies are disproportionate and goofy. Huge fists. Undersized legs. They're very weird and cartoony, although like I said the heads and faces are remarkably good looking and you can tell the toy is supposed to represent Bruce.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

those are so awesome. :bolian:

4. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

OMFG!!!! $300!!!! :eek:

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

You might not want the new Wave 4 pocket ones, I found the first pictures and it's all metallic/crystal, they don't look too good.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Hot Toys stuff tends to appreciate in value quickly. If you want them, you need to get them right when they come out or risk paying a lot more.

7. cooleddie74

At least nobody ever has to worry about Hot Toys products shelfwarming and gathering dust in a warehouse someplace. They might be pricey, but high-end toys and collectibles like that are always produced in much, much smaller and limited numbers than the mass production action figures and dolls we see at your average Wally World or Toys 'R' Us, so the company eventually makes money on all its product and has terrific or outstanding sales(I imagine).

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

*sigh*

It's like they're purposefully trying to deny me my ponies. :(

9. OdoWanKenobi

Ah! We've fallen to the second page! Must fix this! Here, this is my armory:
    [​IMG]

I like Iron Man, can you tell?

10. cooleddie74

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's so much Iron Man even Robert Downey, Jr. would flee in abject terror!

Just kidding...that is awesome! Iron Man's always been one of my favorite superheroes and I always sort of regret never having gotten any of his merchandise after I grew up. All of my Iron Man collectibles are 1980s comic books from my childhood. That photo's pretty sweet, my friend.

11. OdoWanKenobi

The Iron Man movie was a real boon to collectors. I was in freaking heaven. Armor armor everywhere. Even comic armors got a huge boost in figures made. That's the best (and worst) thing about collecting Iron man stuff: They will never ever run out of armors to make.

12. cooleddie74

Just like STAR WARS figures. There's always a different pose, outfit difference or accessory to keep the line going ad infinitum. They'll still be finding new ways to crank out new Han Solos a generation from now, even if the only difference is the angle of the thumb on his right hand. ;)

13. cooleddie74

My buddy at the toy shop has a buttload of new Vintage Collection figures arriving by the end of this week or the beginning of the next. Dr. Evazan, Kithaba, Nom Anor, 501st Legion Clones, Gamorrean Guards, Aayla Secura, Bespin Outfit Han Solos and even two Wedges!...he says he's expecting no fewer than twenty new 2012 figures to show up and he's letting me have first pick when they arrive. Can't wait...I might snap some pics of my new figures after I decide which ones I'm gonna buy from him. Seems like the entire Wave 4 is coming along with the repacks of some of last year's figures from that same wave assortment(Wedge, Bespin Han, Gamorrean, Rebel Fleet Trooper, etc.).

This will save me the trouble of driving all over the place looking for these in stores, only to waste a lot of gas and come away with empty hands. Face it, a lot of people just aren't going to see the Wedge Antilles repack or even the Bespin Han and Gamorrean...those are way, way too popular and sought after to sit on store pegs for more than a few minutes or, at most, a couple of hours. I had been hoping that the repacks of harder to find 2011 figures would have been distributed in greater numbers, but nope. They'll be just as hard to find as the first releases.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i can't help keep thinking Infinity Ward and probably more particularly Activision are missing a trick not producing a 3 3/4in or 6in Call of Duty line. the Modern Warfare trilogy alone could spawn a good 30+ figures just on named characters and outfit/appearance variations (you can 3 versions of Price from MW1, 2 of Gaz, 2 of Soap, 2 of Griggs alone! not to mention at least 4 versions of Soap in MW2...) and that's without doing a bunch of generic MP faction based ones.

15. cooleddie74

Agreed on a Call of Duty toy line. I own four of the CoD games on XBox 360 and the franchise is my second favorite on the home video game market after HALO. A line of, say, 6" Call of Duty super-articulated figures in all sorts of gear spanning the decades from World War II up to and including the 21st century would probably sell quite well and help bring more people into the action figure market and hobby if they're not already involved. HALO game merchandise seems to be a pretty good seller for MacFarlane Toys, so why wouldn't a CoD merchandise line be profitable for a toymaker? I say go for it. A wave of American, British, Soviet and even German soldiers from WWII complete with all the different sorts of sidearms you can use within the games would be amazing, and if done in at least a 6" scale would allow for quite a bit of realistic detailing.

16. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not equal to the impressive Iron Man collection above, but it's predictable.
    [​IMG]

17. cooleddie74

^
    Are those Dalek toys from the 1980s or '90s? I'm not a DR. WHO toy guy, so I don't recognize the period during which they were made and released. Judging solely on the good surface detailing on the two largest Daleks I'm guessing they must be from at least sometime in the eighties at the earliest.

18. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only the gray one and the 1/35th scale miniature are of that vintage.
    The white one is a new model and the red ones are lego compatible.

My sister got me started on a collection of these here
    [​IMG]

19. cooleddie74

Nice toys, Davros! Cute.

Well, my friend's shipment of new Vintage Collection figures might arrive as early as Saturday, so I might be getting a slew of new figures I don't already have in the next 48 hours or so. The figures he's getting are:

Kithaba
    Dr. Evazan
    Aayla Secura
    Nom Anor
    501st Legion Clone Trooper
    Wedge Antilles
    Han Solo(Bespin Outfit)
    Gamorrean Guard
    Rebel Fleet Trooper
    Bom Vimdin
    Barriss Offee

And at least one of each. He says there'll be three of the 501st Clone Trooper and two each of most of the rest of the characters.

Oh, and here are newer, crisper images of the uber-controversial Bespin Battle Pack that is currently available from online retailers and should theoretically be hitting brick-and-mortar stores sometime soon:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  20. OdoWanKenobi

^Help a brother out? :lol:

I had a spot of bad luck today. I've been trying to fill in the gaps in my DCUC collection, which is difficult since most of them have shot up in price quite a bit. Found a Black Lightning on Amazon for a pretty decent price. The description said minor shelf wear, but I open anyways so that didn't matter. What did matter however is the state it arrived in. Apprently, to this seller "minor shelf wear" means "package completely open." Also, BAF piece of Metallo was the right leg instead of the left left the figure was supposed to come with. If that wasn't enough, the piece had a broken connector peg. Thankfully Amazon is expedient with returns, so I don't have to settle for this defective product, but now the hunt for a Black Lightning resumes. I also need to find myself an Eradicator for a decent price. He seems to be the hardest of the wave to find. I want a complete Metallo, dammit.