NBA Season - 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Oct 26, 2013.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's that time again, the NBA Season is almost here and I know we have some fans of the game here. I'm a casual NBA fan, but had a ton of fun watching the Warriors in their playoff push last year. I expect great things from this team this year, even maybe a 4th seed in the Western Conference. I heard on the Radio that some national reporters are predicting the Warriors in the NBA Finals. My question is who? They have to get by OKC and San Antonio first.

They also made news tonight by resigning Andrew Bogut to a 3 year contract. We'll see how that goes but this sounds like a contract based on prior emotions rather than a good deal. If he plays 50-60 games (or more) in each year than it's a good signing. Unfortunately he is injury prone and this has a risk of being a not so good signing. We will see.

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, my favorite time of the year. Football, hockey, and NBA basketball...

I saw quite a bit of the Warriors during the preseason and they looked like they might miss Jarred Jack and that other forward (I think), they lost in free agency. They're still going to be pretty tough. I liked that they wrapped up Bogut. Yeah, he's injury prone but when he is playing the guy really can guard the rim. He can cover other guys' defensive mistakes. There aren't many bigs out there who can do that. Where's my boy, Haven'tGotALife? :p

My Lakers, sigh, will not be competing for a chip this season. Kobe, sigh, will not be ready probably before December barring setbacks. And, sigh, we still have Mike D'Antoni. But, I still think that with a bit of injury luck, that we didn't have last season, some much needed chemistry, and we could still make the playoffs.

I don't think the HEat will win a third championship. They will have to make it to the Finals 4 straight times. Not impossoble, but not a sure thing either -- UNLESS Greg Oden has a breakout season. If he does, they might 3-Peat. If OKC can successfully replace Mike Harden this season, they have a chance to finally get the franchises' second championship. But, big IF.

I'm ready. :)

3. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

A lot of people up here are predicting the Raptors to be a playoff bubble team, but I won't hold out hope. This team has been repeatedly poor and doesn't seem to have a clue how to break out of the slump.

Sure, there's a lot of nice pieces, but they are not the kind of players that can get them over the hump.

The only thing different will be seeing who is the new whipping boy for the fans after Andrea Bargnani was dealt to the Knicks.

4. nealish116

nealish116 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lest anyone think there are not Pacers supporters in the world, I am one. Barring injury, Indiana will be a major contender this season. I expect them to push for the championship, just like last year. Keep in mind they're built more for the playoffs than the regular season. This year is going to be fun.

5. gblews

^ I'm rooting for anyone in the east to stop the Heat's run. Good Luck.

Welcome to L.A., Doc! Only the first game of the season and means very little in the long run, but the Lakers opening night victory over the Clippers was the most satisfying season opener I can remember.

Doc Rivers, who I think has as little integrity as any coach in the league, was at his small time best. He ordered the Lakers' championship banners and retired jerseys covered during Clips home games about a week ago signaling his team needed a confidence boost and a swagger injection. After that spanking last night he tried to say that his team lost due to overconfidence. What a jackass.

However, this was a typical D'Antoni type win. His Suns used to do this all the time (except in the playoffs), shoot lights out and get an upset win. Seen it all before and I'm not getting too excited. Still it was good to see the Clips get a little message from the purple and gold.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm curious to see if the 76ers will win at least 10 games (to be better than the worst team of all time, which, of course, was also a Sixers team). Tonight, they play the Heat. I'm can't wait to see who wins that one. :devil:

7. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, I have no comment on the Sixers-Heat game ;)

8. gblews

^ It is HARD to 3-peat. I understand Wade sat out with sore knees. That is not a good sign this early in the season.

You know, Bynum played last night for Cle. They upset Brooklyn. Hard to see him going through an entire season on those knees, one of which is grinding bone on bone. Still, good to see the young man back in the game. I wish him well.

Lakers, Warriors, and Clips are all going to be 1-1 as a result of having played one another in the first two games. Clips play the Warriors at Staples tonight and I think they will likely win.

9. Alidar Jarok

Bynum's first shot was apparently blocked. That being said, I would have killed for even that because it meant he actually made it into a game instead of sitting on the sideline. That being said, I don't really hold ill feelings towards him, I'm just glad he's not on our team anymore.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Agreed. I wished it had worked out better in LA, but I bear him no ill will.

Lakers are looking at a tough season. There's a chance for a playoff berth, but not much after that I'm afraid.

11. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I normally don't pay attention to Basketball until the playoffs, but I caught some of the Nuggets game the other night, and they look BAD. Firing George Karl and dumping half the team after a 57 win season was a horrible idea.

12. gblews

I think ownership finally realized that the Nuggets had gone about as far as they were going to go under Karl. I think he onlylasted as long as he did because his teams kept the seats full. The Nugget's' window of opportunity (for the Finals, with Karl) closed after the 2010 season.

13. gblews

Well, Lakers win the first of the "Dwight battles" this season, and in Houston no less. Big surprise. The Rox shot 52 freethrows and made only 33 and lost by one point. D12 is such a bad freethrow shooter (and offensive player iin general) he brings the entire team's freethrow shooting down. Of the Rox 19 missed freethrows, Dwight missed 11 by himself -- 7 in the cruciale 4th quarter.

His freethrow shooting hurts worse than Shaq's used to becuase Shaq was such a great offensive player otherwise. James Harden said something about it after the game that was slightly less than positive, shall we say. Kobe went through this same thing last season.

As for the Lakers, they shot 30 some 3's and made 46% of them. Works well for a game or two, but makes the Lakers a jumpshooting team and jumpshooting teams go nowhere.

Well this sets us up for a loss to the Rox when we play them at Staples and also tonight against the Pelicans. Wish they had another day to set aside the euphoria of this big winn before having to play again. Glad this game was on national T.V. as I'm sure the other 2 Lakes/Rox games will be.

14. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, it's been an interesting first 2 weeks of the season. Chicago and Brooklyn, both looking primed for deep playoff runs, are faltering. The Sixers and their rookie is taking the NBA by storm. Anthony Davis is putting up monster numbers. And then there's the Indiana Pacers.

I have been a Pistons fan since I began watching the NBA. The intensity of my fandom picked up in Grant Hill's last season with Detroit (1999-00). It was a new era without any of the Bad Boys (Joe Dumars retired) and the Pistons looked primed to take off after a very close series in 1999 with the Atlanta Hawks. It never materialized, but I digress. My point to telling you this is that I watched the Indiana Pacers with a close eye from the moment they traded for Jermaine O'Neal. They were where we wanted to be in 2000-01, the 8th seed. Games were always competitive with them. I called them rivals back in 2001. When the schedule was released in the summer of 2004, after the Pistons had won their third (and last) Championship, and were poised for another run, I circled November 19, 2004 on my calendar. I told everyone at my job that I didn't want to know the outcome until I came home that night.

This was no ordinary sporting event. It became a defining moment for me. It would lead to some serious soul searching about the kind of basketball team I wanted to see. It took a lot of years to study what was effective, and what would win. My conclusion was that I liked a team that was competitive, but didn't look to berate their opponent. That's just demeanor.

What I like is rebounding, second-chance offense, good defense, and players that are consistently playing at a high level (and execute the team concept). See, when you rebound the basketball, you give yourself an extra possession while taking one away from your opponent. They can play lockdown defense and you have an extra possession where it's easier to spread the floor because it's scramble defense. I came to the conclusion that basketball is a game of inches (an inch or two, the ball is out of the rim, an inch or two and you don't have a good angle at the basket, etc). Pursuit of the basketball is key. Because defenses are so advanced, you need athleticism, length, and smart players that can see when they have a guy beat, can find the ball, catch, and take a quality shot. The game is incredibly fast; enough that it looks like good teams share a brain, it's that quick.

Accolades mean very little to me. So when Lebron James goes against Paul George, I cheer for the player that can execute and compete. I look like a homer, but I like quality basketball.

All of that is to say that I've watched the Pacers, I've seen the team. From its 2-1 series lead on Miami in 2012 until now, I have said they are one of my favorite teams. I have been harping for 3 years that the Pistons should get Paul George. He's big, can get a step on you, can shoot over a defense, and plays the other side of the court. He shredded the Pistons in a game in 2012 (27 points, 10 rebounds) and it was the way he did it. Ben Gordon and Rodney Stuckey couldn't stay in front of him or get their own shot. He reminded me of a combination of Rip Hamilton's size, and Joe Dumars' game.

I knew last year's Conference Finals were going to be tough because the Pacers are strong where Miami is weak. It's a bad matchup from Miami's perspective. They are built to beat the Heat. I thought Danny Granger would be doing a lot more, but I underestimated Paul, even as I coveted him.

Good for the Pacers, off to a 7-0 start. I cannot wait to see them in prime time again. It warms my heart to see them win.

15. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Brooklyn is horribly overrated. Not a fan of Indy or the Bulls, mainly based on playoff losses 20 years ago.

16. gblews

The Lakers reportedly (and unofficially) had expressed a keen interest in George if he became a free agent. Many Lakers' fans have coveted the guy for a while now and that was before he let it be known that Kobe was one of his basketball role models. All for naught though when he signed that extension with the Pacers.

Pacers, if they keep going well, are going to face what many NBA teams face when trying to move up to that next level. That one veteran team that always seems to be in the way. They are likely going to have to deal with the (now) playoff hardened Heat. I do think the Heat are vulnerable this season, making it to the Finals 4 straight times is a daunting task, but are the Pacers the team who can knock them off? We'll see. (And also keep in mind, it's VERY early.)

17. HaventGotALife

Well, tonight is my first Pistons game of the season. Portland is poachable and I will enjoy seeing the new look Pistons. Mo Cheeks is returning to the place where he coached in the last decade.

For those interested, here's a couple of videos to watch.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkhe942cE6I&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL0B2091854328B64C[/yt][yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V5qg-ARYvI[/yt]

The "Motor City" jerseys are new, and this Boston game was their last win (2-3 entering a 5-game West-Coast swing. Brandon Jennings, Rodney Stuckey have been hurt, so they are still getting their horses back. I'm pumped up 4 hours before tipoff, so that's why I am posting, really. Anyone else going to be watching the game?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  18. HaventGotALife

Markeiff Morris and Paul George named players of the Week. The Pacers are 8-0 so far this season. Steve Nash is out for two weeks. Derrick Rose pulled a hamstring in the Bulls latest game. And the parody across the league is ridiculous.

19. gblews

I'm a Lakers fan so yeah, the "parody" IS ridiculous. We gave up 47 points in the first quarter to the T-Wolves Sunday -- at home. That is a sizable number to give up in a half, but in one quarter...? Mike D'Antoni's defense is an absolute joke. God, am I glad we managed to keep our 2014 first round pick. I have a feeling it is going to be very valuable.

As for parity, I think it is too early to conclude that NFL style parity has reached the NBA. I am also still not convinced it is a good thing even if it has. Are any casual fans going to tune into a Finals featuring say, Memphis and (no offense intended) Detroit or Milwaukee? I'm not convinced. NBA popularity, with a few exceptions, is driven by it's stars, not it's teams (as the NFL is).

20. HaventGotALife

No offense taken.

I don't like parody because it means that teams don't stay together. Look at how many players even teams like the Philadelphia Eagles (with McNabb) and the New England Patriots (with Tom Brady) have gone through. They have let starters go down because of money. And this parody I think it rooted in the new financial system of the NBA.

To the casual fan, yes, it is all about superstars. Unlike in Baseball or Football, one explosive athlete can cover a bevy of mistakes. But this is about watching teams develop themselves, going after the best players, and not worrying about the price tag. We spent a lot of years with the Michael Jordan model of basketball. Give the ball to Allen Iverson or Tracy McGrady or Vince Carter and everyone else clear out. The zone rules made it easier to guard those players that needed room to operate, and so we had superstars like Dwyane Wade and Lebron James that had to do things on the fly. More than that, the NBA got back to team basketball.

However, the payroll for team basketball, while players do take less money to stay together, is high. Teams--namely the Phoenix Suns, LA Lakers, San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers, Dallas Mavericks, Detroit Pistons, Boston Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers--all had high payrolls (luxury tax) and the owners ponied up the money and they contended for a long time over those 10 years. There were defections, but the staples, the nucleus, was in place. And those guys who were on the team were not making chump change in endorsements, etc.

Now, the NBA has outlawed that system. People bemoan the Miami Heat. They think it's the end of basketball. All the players want to play together in big markets, and the best of the best, shouldn't have to join together, they should compete against one-another.

When I see the Heat, I see a team I don't personally like, but I don't want them broken up. I don't like teams that cannot rebound and play small-ball. But not every team has to be the exact same. As a matter of fact, that is boring.

A small example in the time I have been watching the Pistons. In 2004, the Lakers and their dominance versus the startups from the JV Conference, right? Good contrast in styles, high ratings. In 2005, the San Antonio Spurs and Detroit Pistons play. Mirror images of each other. Defense, team, same coaching tree, etc. Poor ratings.

Some could say that's just the Lakers, but the Lakers played the Nets in 2002 and didn't have those kind of ratings. They played the Pacers in 2000, didn't have those kind of ratings. It was David versus Goliath, and everyone watched and the NBA made lots of money.

So...I want my Pistons to get back on their feet, and beat the Heat. I don't want them broken up by money. I don't want a league where every team has a superstar, or has to scrape the bottom of the barrel to keep that superstar and have 5 starters.

We overreacted to the "trend" and outlawed great team basketball. Now, it's a race to be the Washington Generals because the Memphis Grizzlies let Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo walk out the door for nothing more than money. And they are in the bottom-half of the Conference now.

Contrast in styles gets ratings every time. If you hate the Heat, you will still watch them play a better team you root for.