What's the beef with Chakotay?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by SignGuyHPW, Oct 13, 2013.

1. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Isn't that kind of a contradiction in terms? :lol:

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Drew's raw, not quite put my make up on right look. Which she has less and less and less these days. When she was chunky and puffy she was totally hot.

Melakon maybe you should send her a nice card and you can be one of the little people famous people dramatically and for cameras decide to appear before like the Annunciation and she takes you out on a date and pays for everything and everyone says how lovely and kind she is.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tom Green. Just saying.

4. teacake

I expect Melakon will forget us if he goes that route.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Sorry, I was trying to figure out who Tom Green is. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything. Maybe I saw his standup act and didn't like him.

A celebrity date with Drew Barrymore wouldn't be so bad I guess, except everyone would be saying "Who's that toothless old cripple who's old enough to be her father?" I was 24 when she was born.

Hmmm.... celebrity date..... I'd probably be more comfortable with someone near my own age so that means. . .KATE MULGREW FOR THE WIN!

6. teacake

I will fight you

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'd fight a toothless old cripple? That's mean. :(

8. teacake

Yes. I would fight him and I would slay him and I would hold his body above my head while letting out gutteral screams as Kate Mulgrew lay draped at my feet.

It would be pure Frazetta.

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, but it would be a sure win. Maybe I could use my cane as a weapon. But teacake would just snatch it away and beat me to death with it. It's metal.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a good thing that the Earths core is between you two.

11. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

No kidding. One of the stories I've heard was that he had grown so tired of the show that he would intentionally try to get himself fired by phoning it in more, yet the producers kept him anyway. Makes me wonder if they only kept him out of spite. It's like the same situation with Jolene Blalock, she would talk shit about the writers yet she kept her job. I do remember Beltran specifically said "I think our writers must be brain dead", unless I'm mixing that up with another disgruntled Trek actor.

12. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like to think it as being method acting. Beltran's increasing lethargy reflected where Chakotay himself was after seven years of his balls having been in a jar on Janeway's ready room table.

13. freak

freak Commodore Commodore

Personally for me Chakotay was my all time favorite character on Voyager besides the Doc. But now that I've rewatched the series again, I can now see why some people had issues with him. I kinda wished that he had been more rebellious and mutinied against he Captain. That would have been interesting!!

14. teacake

I never really had actual issues with him, there were so many great characters I was happy for him to just stand around being pleasant to look at. I never disliked him.

15. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

He was pleasant to look at, I think. :)

I enjoyed his character when he was paired with Janeway. But besides my desire of wanting them to finally get together, I kind of didn't care so much about his character only because they never really took it anywhere.

That said, I would have personally been angry and offended if they killed him off. I liked him as Janeway's friend and first officer. Now take away Janeway, Seven, and the Doctor and he really isn't much just on his own. But dislike? I could never dislike him.

No offense to Beltran, but Jolene had a bit more of a prominent character. T'Pol was the only non-human on a ship full of humans (besides Phlox) which was something unique. She also had that whole romance going on with Trip and the struggle with that.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's kind of like a cog in a machine. He's there, he's probably doing something important, things wouldn't work as great without him, but he's not the guy operating the machine at all. :p

17. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was always under the impression that all the girls loved Chakotay, because he's like this big teddy bear, the kind they love to kiss and hug all hours of the day. He was just a big doofus, as far as I was concerned, personally. But I didn't mind him being there. I just would've preferred Ro Lauren as Janeway's Marquis commander, had Michelle Forbes been interested in committing herself to STAR TREK, at all. Harry Kim should've been a girl, that's for damn sure! I thought there were too many guys on the bridge. Voyager needed more chicks ...

18. teacake

No.
    I would have loved this to bits. AND the slash that would have sprung from it, oh my..
    I've long advocated that it should have been a ship of women. Tal Celes could have been Harry.

19. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, yes! I think those adjustments within the cast, alone, would've made VOYAGER's stories less repetetive, in the end. For those all-important ratings, too, having more chicks on the show would've done wonders ...