Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

The skull behind Spock's head... I recall one of the Gold Key comics, where Kirk is on trial for something and one of the officers on his tribunal was an alien who looked as if his species may have been the source of this skull.

Let me look for it... *rummage, rummage rummage* Found it.

It was May, 1974, the issue was called "The Trial of Captain Kirk." I'm looking right at it as I type this.

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

--Alex

2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

They don't necessarily have to be from actual Terran animals. They could've been molded out of plaster, etc by the production team.

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Oh, I misunderstood... Most of those skulls are absolutely from the prop department. The prominent ones, anyhow. Real skulls look nothing like that at all. Even the ones that look like ape skulls are obvious fakes. I do think the skull visible past the front of Nimoy's face in the pic Robert Comsol linked to, probably is a real skull that has been painted white with black in the eye sockets. Probably a deer or a dog. The black-ish one on the shelf outside of the niche I'm not as sure about. That might be real, or else a prop. It's certainly a mix and match game.

--Alex

4. Donny

Was in the mood to get some props done before moving on to the Intensive Care Ward Room. So far I've got the large and small versions of the anabolic protoplaser, a few salt shakers....I mean...scalpels....the heartbeat reader, and the hypo. Still gotta model the reader tube, surgical scissors, spray bottle, and a few hand scanners. I just wanted to get these beauty shots before I go to work.

Props (no pun intended) go to GSchnitzer for his articles featured on the Phase II forums.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Talos

Talos Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

God, the heartbeat reader... :lol:

Great job on these, it looks like you could reach out and pick them up.

6. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, yes, the "White Sound Device" (or "Heartbeat Reader" as FJ called it.) But, it seems to be lying around in all kinds of surgical places, so it must have some function we don't really understand. ("Quickly! We need to mask the sound of this patient's heart during the operation!").

“Space Seed:”
    [​IMG]
    …and a bit later in the episode:
    [​IMG]
    “Operation—Annihilate!:”
    [​IMG]
    “Mirror, Mirror:”
    [​IMG]
    “The Deadly Years:”
    [​IMG]
    “Journey to Babel:”
    [​IMG]
    “Day of the Dove:”
    [​IMG]
    “Elaan of Troyius:”
    [​IMG]
    “The Enterprise Incident:”
    [​IMG]
    “Spock’s Brain:”
    [​IMG]
    The Making of Star Trek [​IMG]
    A Third Season publicity photo:
    [​IMG]
    (It’s a little hard to see hiding behind the scalpels and medical scanner.)
    [​IMG]

More here:

http://forums.startreknewvoyages.com/index.php?topic=7834.msg100036#msg100036

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  7. GSchnitzer

Hey, Donny.

I'd make the hypo fluid be only about half full in the vial, instead of just red throughout.

Also, you need to add the two silver prongs onto the side of the surgical tray--like in the "Deadly Years" screen grab. (The two prongs on the side of the tray fit into the two holes on the side of the Examination Room Exam Table. That's how it attaches.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  8. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

The James Blish novelization of "Court Martial" called it a modified 'white noise generator.' Which makes perfect sense to have during a delicate operation in a hospital setting, filtering out various environmental sounds (read: onboard ship noises) to allow McCoy and Chapel to concentrate on what they're doing and (post-op) allowing their patients to rest without the constant thrum of the ship's systems in their ears.

9. Donny

That's a very good explanation.

10. GSchnitzer

Well, yes. I'm just not sure why you want to toggle that functionality on and off with a hand-held device. Why not just mount it into the ceiling or something to make the room quiet? Dr. McCoy tells Christine to "Initiate sterile field" with the flip of a switch in "Journey to Babel." You'd think he'd just say "Initiate quiet field" if he wanted it quiet. And how would it have to work? Do you have to take the doohickey around the room to each individual air conditioner vent and speaker, and computer and overbed monitor to mask the sound of each one? I mean, you have to mask each heartbeat individually on the bridge and don't seem to be able to do it en masse. So do you have to do it individually with every sound you want to mask? All in all, I'm not convinced that this thing is merely an interoperative or postoperative emergent white sound device. I think it does something else.

(Also, technically, I think a white sound device and/or generator doesn't filter unwanted sounds; it merely masks them--although I'm not sure of what the practical difference would be.)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  11. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Very good points, Greg. :) And probably why we don't see anything like it afterwards - all sickbays from TMP on likely have it built-in to the architecture.

12. Donny

Finished a few more sickbay props...

[​IMG]

Dr Robert likes this.
  13. Donny

And three different size trigger spray bottles....
    [​IMG]

14. GSchnitzer

Looking Fantastic!

I think your Schmieden-Taylor dural scissors need to be painted red

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Donny

Scissors are an easy fix. Thanks for pointing (no pun intended) that out, Greg.

Just spent the last 3 hours modelling this bottle of Saurian Brandy. And that does it for props for now! Whew.
    [​IMG]

16. Talos

Talos Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ooooh, the brandy. I've always loved that bottle. Totally need to get one as decoration one of these days.

17. Donny

All right. I know I've said this before, but here are the final shots of the examination room before I move on. I had to get the last few details in, namely the props, the (debated) mirror, and I also added the instrument stand to the right of the examination bed. I could place another on the other side, but it seems a little redundant. (Some episodes featured two, others just one) Opinions?

I also decided against putting the Saurian Brandy in the lit cabinet. Doing so would require shortening the length of the bottom shelf, which was only done in one episode, "The Enemy Within". I can always put he brandy elsewhere. Opinions?

Ack! Just realized I forgot to put some spray bottles in the cabinet. Oh well. I'll have to wait for the next lighting compile.:rolleyes:

Anyway, here's some shots showing the updates.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had so much fun working on these props, I have to show them off one last time. Here's a super up-close shot rendered in-game. (edit: Just noticed some of the props are clipping through the green cloth. Will fix on next compile).
    [​IMG]

18. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

AMAZING! Really looks fantastic and is an outstanding and beautiful achievement. :techman:

Ouch...while I have noticed the rectangular stand or table in locations like the Season One engine room and especially in Dr. McCoy's office, I never noticed they just put a Bauhaus-style table on top of it - or my subconscious tried to forget it. IMHO, this contraption sticks out like a sore thumb and may be the reason why we didn't get a better look at it. No doubts that this is probably accurate but I wonder how it impacts the overall credibility of the exam room. Yes, I'd say another one of these is most definitely redundant. :(

Despite not encouraging adolescents to drink and drive and else, I was never comfortable with the public display of the Saurian Brandy bottle in "The Enemy Within" and "The Conscience of the King". It had disappeared by Season Two and Three (hopefully into McCoy's cabin) and you could, indeed, always put it elsewhere like the unseen back of the set.

IMHO, that's not a problem that requires a fix. Those things are too darn 20th Century reminiscent and I can most definitely do without these to keep the illusion we're in the 23rd Century and not the back room of a flower shop. Just my 0.02 $. ;)

Bob

P.S.
    I think the (otherwise unseen) wall in the side booth could extend further into the office area behind. Though we never saw what's on this wall (hand sterilizing sink, hyposprays or else?) I would leave this wall "unseen". Revealing that blank wall now makes the booth look like a dead space without actual function.

19. GSchnitzer

Donny the stool stacked up on the table for an instrument stand is perfect. I don't think it sticks out much. In fact most people have gone through all these episodes and have never even really noticed that it's even there. It's disappearing into your shots just like it did in all the actual episodes it appears in. I think I wouldn't put one on the other side of the exam bed, too. (On that side of the bed, I think you should have the attachable instrument tray on the bed or another stand, but not both.)

I hear you about shortening that shelf for the Saurian brandy bottles. I'm sure it's just as annoying to deal with that bottom shelf virtually as it has been in real life. I agree with Robert Comsol: I think I wouldn't put the bottle in the cabinet, as cool as it is. I always applauded the notion that alcohol on the ship is kept locked up in McCoy's cabinet. (Even the Captain has to ask for it.) But I'm sure there are other places for it not in Sick Bay. (Perhaps in a Rec Room set like in "Charlie X.")

I like the idea of putting the trigger sprayers in the cabinet, but I think I'd lose it from the bedside stand. (It's bright and catching my eye.) I don't know what tall-ish and colorful thing you could put there instead. <Thinking cap activated.>)

Do we know if the red plant-on by the door is actually that one that you're showing there? (It's an inspired guess even if we don't get any fuller looks at it.)

All in all, I want to live and work in your rendering.

20. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It still blows my mind that you generate your renders with a "real-time" game engine! The lighting and shadows are far more faithful than I have been able to achieve with a rendering tool that can take several minutes (if not hours, depending upon the features checked) to create a single frame.

Sincerely,

Bill