College: Gender Studies (Feminism Discussion)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by hxclespaulplayer, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Re: College: Gender Studies

That narrative is not incorrect, at least in the broad strokes. Why do you claim it is? What is your evidence? Don't link to blogs, use your own words. Excerpt other sources if you must, but I want to see you actually articulate why you believe this, rather than spout it as a fact.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Are you having a debate with some imaginary person in the thread? No one said men can't be oppressed, that anyone advocating for male rights is by default a misogynist, or that all men's rights organizations are by definition hate groups. Certainly some are, just as White Pride groups and other groups that seek to portray the dominant group as victims often have a certain bent, but it's not guaranteed by any means.

Stick with what's on the page before you start posting wild ass straw man arguments based on jack and shit.

3. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

and nasat, this pretty much sums you up:

[​IMG]

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have done. I see a huge amount of historical assertions made with absolutely no sources to back them up, and a great number of views being described as fundamental to Feminists (i.e. if you don't believe this then you aren't a feminist) which many self described Feminists would probably take great umbrage at.

You seem to be displaying this behaviour throughout the thread as well, tarring people with assumptions about their stances and beliefs.

5. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

As the secretary general of Matriarchy International I would like to apologize for violence on men, the insane amount of female wealth accumulated through divorces and the over-representation of women in media, politics and the economic elite.

I hereby declare that the women of the Western World give up their right to vote and the right to property to make up for this injustice.

I also promise to return the brains we extracted from a high number of men who as a result of that procedure seem to live in an alternate reality.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Where are my reparations, Emilia??

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I would accept the offer, but something tells me that you're sarcastic, which is typical of feminists and their ilk.

8. { Emilia }

Are you saying you want your brain back? Is that what you're referring to?

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]

10. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't try to confuse me with your logic, woman!

11. { Emilia }

I often wish men weren't so irrational and prone to hysteria. :( Their mood swings and fuzzy logic makes having a serious discussion with them so difficult. :( They're so over-emotional. :(

12. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space

^Maybe it's that time of the month for them...

Err...

Yes, that must be it!

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I think feminists are behind the War on Christmas, too.

:scream:

14. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

OH, look! It's the original post! If you really want to study this area because you find it fascinating and enjoyable, then do so. No knowledge is useless. But, if you want build a career around this field, I fear you will have a very, very hard time making a living if you don't tie it into something else, like teaching, social work, psychology, political science, etc. I hope that answers your question. :)

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, can we get back to the original topic (which wasn't really even specifically about feminism)?

16. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with a couple of previous posters who have stated that if you are in school to gain knowledge and pursue your interests, then yes, the program will be useful to you and you will probably have a great time. If your main goal is to graduate with a job lined up, it probably won't be such a great idea. This is the sort of degree that would work great as a stepping stone into graduate school in the social sciences though. There is definitely a chance that your future career will make use of this degree, but you will need to have clear goals in mind and probably do some extra schooling before you get there. For example I am in a library science graduate program at the moment, and I've met a few classmates who specifically want to focus on working at libraries or archives within women's organizations or GLBTIQ organizations. An undergraduate degree in gender studies would likely be of much benefit to them in applying for those jobs.

17. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Yeah I was thinking it would work if you wanted to go on to graduate school, but I agree about having a plan.

18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

really i can't see the downside in getting a qualification in a subject you find fascinating, so i reckon go for it.

and for the record, during the course of this thread derangednasat has made a lot of intrusive presumptions and attributed false strawman opinions to me that come across as intolerant and vindictive.

so i hope you permit me to call him a whiny little misogynist douchebag without giving me an infraction, but if you do i'm willing to accept it.

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It really comes to down to this - if you live in Western Europe or North America and you are complaining about your lot as a white healthy male, well I'm afraid the truth is you are just a loser.

20. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Hey, man, it's not easy having to get out of bed and go to a well paying job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.