DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Guess I'll have to decide which is greater, my hate for that version of these characters, or my love for Bryan Hitch.
    [​IMG]

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Very few of these new titles sound interesting to me...

JLA by Bryan Hitch
    Green Lantern Lost Army... I think it's awesome they're doing a crossover with the Hellboy sequel :p But seriously I just wanna know the premise.
    Robin Son of Batman (ie, Batman and Robin still by Gleason)
    Section Eight (HITMAN SPINOFF!!!)

and that's about it...

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

^I don't know how you could think a Hitch written JLA could be a good idea. Or a Damian book written without Tomasi.

Martian Manhunter by Rob Williams
    Midnighter by Steve Orlando
    Omega Men by Tom King
    Mystic U by Alisa Kwitney
    Section 8 by Garth Ennis.
    Green Arrow by Ben Percy

These I think look promising just by virtue of having writers who seem to know how to do their job.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

For JLA and Robin I am pretty much just interested in the pretty pictures ;)

Bryan Hitch's Real Heroes certainly leaves something to be desired in the writing department.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rich did say that we would get a lot of artists and indy, and web comic creative teams on the mini-relaunch books and it would appear that he was correct. I'm really disappointed that Tomasi is not writing Damian, Kubert did a horrific job with the mini-series they did about future Damian..but I guess I'll give that a chance. I'm going to go through each title and make up my mind about them.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

For the new books I'm most interested in Earth 2: Society, Dr. Fate, Harley Quinn/Power Girl and Starfire. Hopefully some good stuff comes from this, although I'm skeptical that its going to be a big change for DC overall.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm in for Prez. :)

For the last several months I'd been brainstorming ideas for a New 52 Prez, but I never found the idea that worked. Naturally, I'm curious what they came up with that I didn't.

The giant robot on the promo artwork has me excited. I hope it's batshit bonkers, the way Prez should be, in a Bob Haney kind of way. :)

8. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just realized that this Prez is the same one featured in Sandman #54! I got the TPB with that issue a few years and I never realized that it was based on an actual comic book created by Joe Simon!

9. Admiral_Young

Have had a chance to gone through the new titles and think will check out the following books:

-"Batman Beyond" From Dan Jurgens and Bernard Chang (although I am concerned about Bleeding Cool's rumour about changes to this character...still might check it out)

-"Robin, Son of Batman" It's Damian so I'll check it out but think putting Gleeson on this solo is a mistake.

-"Justice League of America" Will give Hitch a chance because he's Hitch...but hopefully this isn't going to turn into another David Finch book situation.

-"We Are Robin" Lee Berjamo and Rob Haynes and Khary Randolph.

I'll give "Superman" a chance under the rookie writer, but he's gonna be on a tight leash.

10. Hound of UIster

Gene Yang isn't a rookie he actually has done a bunch of indie and creator owned stuff like American Born Chinese, Shadow hero and the Airbender Comics for Dark Horse. I honestly would trust him on writing than JRJR trying to imitate Finch/Daniel/Hitch.

11. Admiral_Young

^ Oh I know his background...just I meant rookie in the sense he seems new to DC.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The impression I've gotten from what I've read is that the continuity will be staying the same, they're just getting rid of the New 52 branding, and taking advantage of that to make some changes. I've been kind of shocked that they were still calling it
    "The New 52" almost four years after it started. I figured they were just going to be using that for a few months, so I was rather shocked it was still on the titles 4 years later.

13. Admiral_Young

^ Nothing is changing in terms of continuity no, they're just streamlining things again and replacing titles and taking a chance with some new creators. The biggest thing about the mini-relaunch is yeah the fact that they are taking off the New 52 label. Thought they should have done this at least a couple years ago, but glad to see they've finally decided to do it.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Has anyone been reading Earth 2: World's End? I've been enjoying it but the whole "world is ending" aspect of it and the regular Earth 2 series has become a little too drawn out for me. I'll be glad when the Apokolips stuff comes to a conclusion and they put it to rest for a while. I think I've just about had my fill of Darkseid for the foreseeable future.

I'm liking the tweak to Powergirls's outfit. I think her suit looks much better with the S shield than with the boob window.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I was, but I dropped it around issue 8 or 9.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Over the holiday weekend I re-read the 52 weekly series. What fun! By far the most successful weekly comic series ever made, it reads like a television show with a large ensemble of characters. And they're all strong. And what a team up! Grant Morrison! Geoff Johns! Greg Rucka! Mark Waid! It's too bad none of the other ones have measured up.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty much in the same place. I like Earth 2 and I like the characters, but I'm getting weary of this seemingly never ending war.

I'm hoping the upcoming Earth 2 Society will be more traditional super-heroics.

18. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

both Earth 2 books have really turned to crap. World's End being the worst.

19. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Is this the right place to talk about the Injustice series? I am thorougly enjoying that series.

20. Hound of UIster

The editors are Ex-Wizard employees who are pretty notorious for their shoddy work according to people familiar with their Wizard days. It does not help that WE has a terrible writing team too. Wilson should be better off doing a Earth-44 Robot Justice League book since that seems to be his passion.