What do Star Trek fans think of Stargate?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Civ001, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Civ001

Civ001 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

So from people who had watched Star Trek before they watched Stargate what did you think of the show when it came on? The first episode I watched was Grace I was wondering what kind of show this was and what it was but I thought it kind of had a Star Trek feeling to it. I found it to be wierd at first but I soon liked the show as much as I like Star Trek. So what do you think about the show?

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I avoided SG-1 for years. Got into it around the end of season 7/beginning of season 8. It was fine back then, and Atlantis was fun the first three years, but after a while it all just went to shit. (Don't get me started on SGU)

Arc-wise some of it was fun to watch; but mostly it's cookie-cutter, lets-play-it-safe stuff. Entertaining and fun, like popcorn... but not anything I find ultimately fulfilling the way I find, say, LOST or Battlestar. Then again, I'd say the same about most of modern day Star Trek too. :shrug:

3. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved the movie! I'm not sure why, but it just really appealed to me. When I first heard that there was going to be a TV series and that MacGuyver was going to be in it, I was excited. So it started out on Showtime and repeated late at night on a local station, so it was hard to see. Finally, I watched the episode Hathor, which is one of the worst episodes ever. I was very disappointed, but my brother kept bugging me to watch it again and so I watched it once more, and honest to God, it was Hathor again. That was the end of that. Until years later when I had cable and it played on Sci-fi all the time. And I fell in love with it. I think that was the 7th season.

I love Stargate. I think it is better than Voyager, I enjoy it more at least, not as good as TNG or Buffy, and definately not up to DS9 standards. But I really enjoy the characters and the backstory and mythology. I also enjoy that the show and its producers don't take themselves too seriously.

4. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I became a fan of both around the same time, but to me Stargate is better than all of the Treks except TNG. SG-1 is like a TOS if it got 10 seasons and a bigger budget, SG-A is like DS9 but good, SGU was like Voyager but a thousand times better, better than Atlantis actually and better than post season 7 SG-1.

Seasons 1 through 7 of SG-1 were on par with TNG.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  5. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Enjoyable, but not quite as good as Star Trek.

6. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved it :D

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I love Stargate, and I find it a lot more rewatchable than Star Trek. The characters are more fun.

8. 46379.1

46379.1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's funny, for me Atlantis equals Voyager in the sense that it's more light hearted and more week-to-week stuff.
    For me DS9 and SGU is "togheter" because of the different tone of the shows compare to the other in the franshise and more "serious".

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I would label myself as a Sci-Fi fan, that doesn't mean I like every single Sci-Fi show but overall the SG shows where good. It's just a shame they didn't give Universe another half season or so to tie up the story.

As muchas I hate shows getting cancelled, I hate shows getting cancelled before they have an opportunity to finish of the story.

10. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the only Star Trek I like as much as SG1 is DS9. SG1 is just a nice, fun sci-fi series that doesn't take itself overly seriously. I absolutely grew to love Colonel O'Neill. Atlantis was Ok, but it after a pretty good first season, it rarely did anything to make itself stand out. I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed SGU. I thought it was interesting and I appreciated that it tried to make its own name for itself. However, SG1 is still by far the best. I'm even one of the few who thought it bounced back quite nicely seasons 9 and 10 after a generally mediocre season 8.

11. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love them both. The only thing I didn't like about Stargate was when they got a little too Trekkish with starship combat. Stargate: Universe seemed to solve that little problem. Well, until recently, that is.

I wish Jonas had made more appearances in SG:1 and Atlantis, had better stories in Atlantis and Voyager, and more seasons of TOS, Universe, and Enterprise.

12. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I love Stargate. It's nowhere near as good as Farscape or Trek, but it's lots of fun. Although, its share of bad episodes is way too big, if you ask me.

One of the things I hate the most about it - two thirds of all the planets SG1 ever visited look like Canada. :lol:

Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just... You'd expect more diversity in the universe, that's all... [​IMG]

13. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

^ It's because the Ancients created Canada.

14. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

You should try to pitch that as a tourism slogan. :lol:

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Stargate really became Star Trek but during present time. The concept of having ftl, ships, sheilds, weapons, transporters and exploring the universe yet be connected to modern day earth is interesting.

16. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

That's why I seriously don't want them to ever tell the 'full disclosure' storyline, Stargate had gotten too Treky as it is without creating the federation 2.0.

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I loved the entire Stargate franchise.

18. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

The only way that I want a full disclosure storyline is if the series is on the block to be rebooted.

19. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My aunt (Gate fan) forced me (Trek fan) to sit through a few Stargate episodes.
    I died on the inside a little.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It took me a long time to get into Stargate. I remember checking out "Children of the Gods" shortly after it premiered, and was bored. So it took me a while to get back into it and I checked out the occassional episode here or there.

I liked the Goau'ld, the use of mythology, and the SG-1 team was okay enough, though over time RDA became too snarky for my tastes. SG-1 felt too lightweight at times, but over time I came to appreciate the lighter tone a little more; there's nothing wrong with having some space adventures with less gray areas between heroes and villains.

I really didn't become a fulltime watcher until the last 2 seasons, and pretty much have only watched season 9 all the way through. I stuck with Atlantis a little better; I thought it's pilot and first season were pretty good. And with Universe, I appreciated what they were trying to do in changing up the tone, but the show was too much of a slow burn out the gate.

I don't like Stargate as much as Star Trek, though it's like comfort food. It's entertaining enough, usually with a nice mix of action, adventure, and humor.