The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Re: Scathing review of the movie

Yes. Why is it that every time someone writes a jeremiad about the film and gets 90% of it wrong that it's incumbent on everyone else to correct him? And if the rest of the Star Trek world has better things to do than rebut yet another irate jilted lover review then we're accused of being naive cheerleaders?

2. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I don't agree with the review, but they're certainly entitled to their opinion.

Honestly, negative reviews don't bother me a bit. The important thing is that the movie got a strong reaction out of him. I think it would have been a lot worse if he had just gone "Meh" in response to it.

3. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic

Negative reviews don't bother me because they don't take away from the film's success.

People trying to convince other people that their opinion is wrong, though, can get a little annoying.

4. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Regardless, I do believe that some consideration needs to be given a film's source material -- the belief that the filmmakers are better than the ideas they are borrowing infects far too many movies these days."

EXACTLY!

(And I liked the movie.)

This isn't Starsky & Hutch or The Land of the Lost, this is Star Trek. And Star Trek isn't Galaxy Quest. As much as I enjoyed the movie, I wish it had tried to respect and accomplish what TOS was all about, esp. in its first season: solidly intelligent space opera with believable grown-ups in the lead. (TOS's idea of a kid was a 22-year-old ensign.) That's not quite what this movie was.

5. VulcanJedi

VulcanJedi Captain Captain

Imagine a C student, frat boy type wielding the helm of power? That would never happen, right? Oh, it would happen--but people don't like it. That's been the problem with recent, smug Trek. It's portrayal of humanity was more alien and unreal than the putty-headed extraterrestrial lifeforms it had on screen.

I used to think everyone played by the rules, but as I get older I see life doesn't always play by the rules. Stranger things have happened. The military has a history of the leadership sometimes being the former cadets with the most demerits. Remember how Patton's career ended? And sometimes, leadership is made up of crooks and liars and phonies. I just watched "enemy within" last night where we meet Kirk's "evil side" and Spock surmised Kirk's evil side is part of what made the captain a strong leader. I read Abram's watched all the old episodes in prep for the movie--it showed. He might have exaggerated Kirk's badside---but a modern world can relate.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

:eek: Absolutely bang-on! :techman:

7. Brutal Strudel

And we see how that turned out.

I love The Sopranos. Indeed, it is by far my favorite tv show of all time--Star Trek handed over the pinball crown some time ago. (Indeed, Star Trek is beaten by The Wire, as well.) And The Sopranos (and The Wire) gives us just the the kind of real-world stuff you're taliking about seeing in this film but it does not celebrate it. This movie does, however--there's a strong stink of exceptionalism and entitlemenet in this movie that a couple of throw-away lines about Kirk being a "genius" (so smart, apparently, that he commonly uses "studying" as code for "fucking") cannot dissipate.

8. Brutal Strudel

You post the link in your thread over in TOS. I really dug the movie and I find the review dead-on.

9. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Wow, what a surprise! Another day, another new member appears out of nowhere with new "evidence" to support the tiny, insignificant minority who don't like the film.

We've rebutted every compliant found here elsewhere, numerous times, pointing out the dozens of times when the very same things they are complaining about appeared in previous incarnations of Trek. Yet they continue to shout and scream and wail like so many right-wing talk show hosts, as it that's going to win anyone over to their side.

Give it up. Star Trek is now one of the popular kids, and you resent the hell out of it. We get it. But bitching about how this film does what Trek has always done is simply idiotic. It's a waste of your time, and ours.

10. Ryan S

Ryan S Ensign Red Shirt

I can't belive how close this is to my original review. I've said it from day one, Paramount sold us out! They took our brain food and replaced with processed junk, supersized. I don't understand why so many "long time" fans can't see this.

11. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I don't see why so many "long time" fans ....

Oh, never mind.

12. Brutal Strudel

Different people are gonna "see" different things. I'm that rarity, the guy who sees everything the naysayers do (though the bit about Scotty getting his position by cheating is a stretch) but who liked the movie and will probably pony up to see it once more before it leaves the theatres.

13. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

yep it is made pretty clear that she earned her berth on the ship.

i suspect spock and kirk both made a case for scotty staying as chief engineer for the other things he did once he was on board.
    despite the ship before only managing warp three due to the damage done by the narada scotty was able to get her up to warp four.
    he also managed to beam two different sets of people from two different vast locations into the same beaming platform at the same time.
    plus saving the ship from the singularity at the end.

and from what some of the stuff scotty was saying he was probably near the end of his being on delta vega anyway.

kirk got promoted because he first saved the enterprise from the initial narada attack because other wise her shields wouldnt have been raised.
    he then saved earth then the rest of the federation.

i sometimes think some reviewers go in hating an assignment so much they dont really pay attention to the movie.

because he evidently missed a lot.

14. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with the review since I've pointed out the same things. But I don't see why the original poster describes it as "scathing" because it isn't.

It is actually one of the better written reviews that provides specific details about what the reviewer liked/disliked as opposed to most reviews I've read that are nothing more than a plot synopsis.
    I agree with the following:

Yes, the emotional core that was needed to anchor the show was MIA.
    I disagree with the following though:
    Yeah Amanda was treated no better than a glorified extra.
    Agreed.
    Agreed. I'd also add that the same fans would be breaking out their pitchforks if B&B had penned this film.

15. Ryan S

Ryan S Ensign Red Shirt

Edited.

16. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it's either that, seeing Christian Bale with a mustache, or watching a mute Deadpool with blades taped to his arms fighting Wolverine.

17. Brutal Strudel

Or I could watch my DVD of The Man Who Fell to Earth. When it comes to SF movies, I've become a real pretentious fuck of late and that's just how I like it! :cool:

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's one of the most glaring errors in the review. The guy obviously wasn't paying much attention if he missed that. Spock knew he was wrong not to assign her to the Enterprise - why else would he back down and "change his mind" so fast? ;)

19. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

A person whose opinion of something differs from yours is a troubled person? Fascinating.

20. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, you just wish more people agreed with you.