The Amazing Spider-Man Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 24, 2012.

?

How do you rate The Amazing Spider-Man?

1. Excellent

33.8%
  2. Good

42.6%
  3. Fair

14.7%
  4. Poor

5.9%
  5. Terrible

2.9%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

:facepalm:

2. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You make it seem so romantic, I think I will cut and paste that on my next card to my GF.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Nausea... a Lovecraftian outlook on the universe... clammy hands, unhealthy-smelling sweat... yup, I've read a GG post again. :p

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank you.

I'm thinking there was a whole subplot snipped out about "Missy Kallenback" the little nerdgirl Peter "saved" from Flash before the he Bullied Eugene on the basketball court, about her unrequited crush.

I usually ignore hannah on Necessary Roughness, but I spent ten minutes thinking that she was Jessica Jones from Alias who did retroactively go to school with Peter and my mind was going mental about the possibilities...

That and she works the loner geek look way better than the popular girl thing she has for the small screen.

Spider-Man in the comics is all about Love triangles.

If woman aren't fighting over him who don't understand that they can't compete with the responsibility of being Spider-Man.

5. Trekker4747

I think she was credited as "Hot Girl" in the credits.

Yes, there was actually someone named "Hot Girl" in the cast list. She had an Asian last name so the girl working on the banner was the only Asian girl I could think of in the movie.

6. Guy Gardener

No, sir, sorry, I spent a while making sure she wasn't Jessica Jones.

According to IMDB Hot girl was played by Kelsey Chow. Although if you continue following links Hotgirl is further uncredited as Sally Avril an actual Lee/Ditko created character who used to hang out with Flash and Liz Allen back in the beginning.

Hannah Marks on the other hand played Missy kellenback who google tells is the girl from the paint/basketball incident with flash who is desperately in love with Peter but can't get the words out.

Oh.

And, not Asian, not that theres anything wrong with that.

7. Trekker4747

So where was this "Hot Girl" at in the movie? I don't recognize her from it.

8. Guy Gardener

4 minutes and 10 seconds into the movie she asks Peter "Are you busy on Friday night?"

Peter thinks he hit the jackpot.

But really she wanted an AV geek with a camera to take pictures of her boyfriends car for said boyfriends anniversary present.

9. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, poor overall.
    Garfield had a few moments but looked too much like Robert Pattinson. His Spider-Man had a little too little sense of guilt/responsibility, it seemed too much like he was just adventuring for fun (although his initial exploration of his powers felt less exuberant than Maguire's).
    Stone, Field Sheen did pretty well but May was too underused and I felt Ben criticizing Peter for "humiliating" Flash was excessive (Peter could have pointed out Flash had bullied a lot more people than just him).
    Didn't like the conspiracy-like background of the parents or that it, Norman Osborn and J. Jonah Jameson were hinted at but didn't amount to much.
    The Lizard being so unsympathetic was disappointing, although I could see they didn't want to do too much retreading of the film version of Doc Ock.
    There were mechanical webshooters but not a hint that webfluid could run out or that he had spider sense.
    Way too many scenes of Spidey without his mask, especially when there were significant complaints about it in 3.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure there was a line about how X distance of webbing could be compressed into Z size... I think it was at Oscorp when it was said, but yeah, it's not like it ever cropped up in any meaningful way.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, I finally saw it, and I liked it more than I thought I would, but not as much as the Raimi version. I liked that Flash Thompson got more development than in the Raimi movies and the return of the mechanical web-shooters, but didn't care for the tweeks to the origin or the lack of bottom-line basic elements of Spidey-lore such as J.J.J. and the catchphrase about power and responsibility.

I didn't have any issues with the casting and thought that every one put in a good performance.

I am looking forward to the sequel and the introduction of MJ and Harry. And as much as I liked Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy, I do hope that they remain true to the tragic end of Gwen's story.

I voted "good".

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I just saw the new Spider-Man for the first time. Unfortunately I wasn't impressed wih the new Parker/Spider-Man. In the Parker sections, I felt like I was watching someone who was trying to act as Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent instead of Peter Parker, while he Spider-Man sections felt like the actor was trying to be Chris Pine as Captain Kirk (and a number of times I thought that it was Chris Pin on screen.

I prefer the Tobey Maguire movies over this new one.

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally saw it today i thought it was good. Nice to finally have a Spider-Man movie where they remember he's kind of a smart ass.

I also take it that sound effect thing they were doing in the movie is to tell the audience his spider sense is going off, right?

I also don't see Norman Osborn being to much of a major villain if he shows up seeing as he was so close to death, he'd be dead by the time they got to human trials on the usual procedure for medical trials. Hell depending on how long Amazing Spider-Man 2 is set after this one he might actually be dead already.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw this this morning and I loved it. I thought the cast was great, the story was really interesting, and it was very well written and directed. I like how they managed to make it feel more grounded and realistic, even though it's story line was still very sci-fi with all of the mutations and superpowers. I can't wait for the sequel. I voted Excellent in the poll.