ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Looks.... promising. But it's just not a poorly thought out vision of the future without Ford Tauruses everywhere.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I thought the trailer was good.

The silver suit looks better than the black though. It appears Murphy's family will be in this movie much more than the original. I also hope they don't make ED-209 too badass, since the joke it that is suppose to be a piece of junk.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Have to admit, that actually looked halfway decent. Shame he switches to the generic black armor though, because the silver one was looking a whole lot cooler-- more scifi and more like, you know, a cyborg.

And yup, totally called it that he'd be jumping around like those robots in I, Robot.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It doesn't look like the total disaster I was expecting..... in fact it looks like it could be good. Was the whole thing with him overcoming the control of robot part of himself in the original? I haven't watched it in ages, so I only have a few vague memories of it.

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Is it supposed to take place in Los Angeles? :confused:

I think it looks cheap.

7. davejames

Only towards the end, when he tried to arrest Dick Jones and OCP's programming tried to take over.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The black suit looks better, definitely more sensible and "tactical". This trailer looks good. I think I took back my original complaints about a remake after the concept art surfaced, and I think I'll re-iterate that.

RAMA

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I have to say that does look better than I thought it would (to echo other sentiments here). I think he looks too clean, he doesn't look like a cyborg but a man in a suit, even when he has his "visor" down.

10. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Meh, the black looks dumb. Robocop is a walking tank, not a roboninja. And the glowing red visor, which looks stupid and cliche all on its own, also completely negates any tactical stealth the black suit might give him.

"Where do we shoot him?"

"Aim just below the red line!"

Also, did the re-makers not catch the oh-so-subtle satire of the original? It's like they cast around for yet another tortured "superhero" to make into a super-serious summer action movie and someone saw the Robocop DVD gathering dust on a producer's movie shelf and said, "There's our next fast cash grab, gentlemen! Make that, but with more flash and tacticool gadgetry and 'splosions! No, no, no, don't watch it. Just print off a description from wkipedia or something to get the barest idea of a plot and roll with it."

11. davejames

I think the robotic voice helps sell the illusion pretty well, especially when paired with more robotic looking suit.

But then once he changes to black it suddenly looks less like a cyborg and more like just a guy wearing Batman armor.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Though, if you are going to remake something, why remake it exactly as the original? What's the point?

Perhaps they are going after something different.

(Though a cash grab isn't beyond reason. But, then Hollywood wants to make LOTS of money, not a little money. It is, after all, Show BUSINESS.)

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

So, in this one he's fully aware of who he is right from the beginning instead of regaining his memories as time goes on? That might be interesting.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Correct. Omnicorp slowly strips away his humanity/rights until he's fully under their control.

The reverse of the first movie

I watched the trailer. It lacks the edginess and dirty look of the original

[​IMG]

It's a guy in a suit

Look at the all the harsh detailing

[​IMG]

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Remaking a classic movie aside what do you expect? A scene for scene copy of the original movie with modern set design and special effects?

Might as well watch the original then as good as it is.

You haven't seen the movie yet but you claim it will be shit and it's only a money grab (the second part is hard to argue, i think so too). The first one's satire was on the nose, it basically grabbed you by the neck and pushed you down into it (the same as with Starship Troopers). If they have social commentary in the movie maybe it will be different, who knows?

The trailer looked promising (much more so than the concept art) but i've been burned bad by trailers before (looking at you George and the PT trilogy) so as with every movie i'm adopting a wait and see stance.

However after this trailer i'll be definitely checking out the movie.

16. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

That's because we are conditioned to expect the future to be shiny...
    All thanks to the SciFi writers and movies and tv-shows from the 60's and 70's...
    Robocop and ED-209 are militairy tools and the armed forces/law-enforcement don't have shiny vehicles/tools because that would make them easy shiny targets...
    Same goes for the Robocop's colouring in this movie...

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Had to go watch this afterwards just to cheer myself up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3W5HUz7vyY

Meh what's the point? I know it won't be terrible, and will no doubt he halfway watchable but is it gonna be anywhere near as good as the original, no.
    Its just Total Recall 2 basically. A film that a year on I can honestly barely even remember

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

With the original film, the story wasn't the story.. it was formulaic version of Frankenstein when all was said and done. What made the film the classic that it is - what gave it it's real story - was it's satire, and how it's over-the-top violence played into that. There are few funnier scenes in a movie than the awkward "someone want to call a paramedic" pause after ED-209 takes out a hapless volunteer. The film pushed the "normal" into the absurd world one shove at a time. We've all kind of now how business meeting demonstrations are supposed to go, and can't help but be transported with all our facilities intact when that demonstration happens, and, though it ends with unpredictable results, we still would probably ask where the paramedics were. It's the same with the entire film, with rookie cop, and it's partner and it's formulaic plot, we know where it's going, but Verhoven constantly pushed constatly pushed us further into this ultra violent, almost-serious worl that is both exatly what we expect but less where we feel comfortable the entire time the movie is playing. It has it's share of completely human awkward moments that make it feel so real to us (like the guy who "knocks ghim self out" on the baby-food-like sustenance, or the guys who half-can't them back in-restroom scene when Dick Jones comes in, the film plays with just over the line of decency at every moment. Verhoven knew that the point of his film was not really the story, it was the satire, and the examination of human nature, that would make it work. The story of RoboCop is, without that edge, fairly standard sci-fi tripe. Hence, the fate of the new movie.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah that's what I noticed as soon as I saw the suit. The original robocop is a ROBOT. You can see that his skull is artificial, he only has his face left.

The new Robocop is a man in an armored suit.

I don't get this. In this day and age, they could have made the robotic aspect even more apparent, digitally removing bits and pieces and replacing them with mechanical parts.

20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The FX in the trailer look good, but it isn't grabbing me. I'll go see it, but I got a feeling that it will be like the Total Recall remake. It'll look good, probably have good action, but will be a totally unneeded remake.