Grimm (NBC) "Pilot" Discussion *Spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Oct 20, 2011.

?

What did you think of the "Pilot"? Add + or - at own discretion.

Poll closed Oct 19, 2012.
  1. A - Excellent

16.0%
  2. B - Good

48.0%
  3. C - Average

28.0%
  4. D - Bad

4.0%
  5. F - Horrible

4.0%
  1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully the NBC honchos will feel guilty about throwing Grimm into the path of the World Series (in their defense, a seventh game is a rarity) and even bad ratings won't doom it right away.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have my dvr set for both chuck and grimm. I have to watch the rangers win!!

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I echo my previous comments...

Seeing the preview for the rest of the series...I am definitely interested in how this turns out...being on NBC...could be let down though. :sigh:

4. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It doesn't look that expensive, so if it brings in ratings close to what NBC expects for it, it may survive.

They put the thing on Fridays, so their expectations for the show can't be too great.

5. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got supernatural dvr"ed and I get fringe on blu ray so I have no issues with watching this show on a reular basis. great pilot by the way.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it. Nothing amazing, but a solid start, and a fun twist on the standard cop show. As a huge Caprica fan, I'm glad to see Sasha Roiz again.
    And so far I don't think anyone is going to be confusing this for Once Upon A Time.

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I thought the pilot was really good, and the previews for the coming episodes looked even better. There were some genuine creepy moments (putting the red hoodies in the cabinet for one), effective repeated use of Sweet Dreams and incorporation of it into the story, and a decent twist at the end. I like how they're leaving open the possibility that the Grimms in general (not the current protagonist) aren't necessarily the heroes of the story.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I liked it a lot and thought the execution of the pilot was handled better than Once Upon A Time. Definitely a better director.

did anyone else think right at the end that Grimm's cop partner was reaching for his gun when he came down the stairs and said "you found her"?

9. Locutus of Bored

^ Yes to your spoiler. I read that there was going to be a twist at the end, so I was expecting it, and that scene made me say "Oh, shit" for a second.

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Same here...when I first saw the pilot I was like "oh, shit" too with that part. :lol:

11. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched this tonite on tv and it was pretty unimpressive--bland characters, tired format, a little too campy in places and predictable. Like so many other shows like Grimm, it tries to entice viewers with an ongoing and most likely more compelling arc which probably won't be as central to the series as most would like rather opting for the FRINGE/Smallville/ freakmonsters-of-the-week which in 2011 isn't going to get you too far. I expect it to be cancelled and Dateline going back to two full hours.

This was pretty the last new series of the fall I was interested in sampling so my schedule is settled and while I'm not watching as many shows as in the past the few I am regularly watching and enjoying fulfill my tv entertainment needs. (Once Upon a Time looks promising after just one episode, Ringer great from the start, Revenge great from the start, Vampire Diaries a bumpy first and third episode but the show has been firing on all cylinders the last several weeks and is off to a stronger start than the previous two seasons. and Secret Circle is a fun little show). I was hoping Grimm would be like Supernatural was in its early seasons before it jumped the shark and veered into hokiness but it seems Grimm's writers aren;t going to be that imaginative. Terra Nova is still hanging on by the barest of threads but I'm giving it a few more weeks before I ditch it too.

BAD!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that was better than the reviews said it was. It wasn't anything great but it was enjoyable. It's like Supernatural with cops and fairy tale creatures instead of urban legends. It's nowhere near as good as that show. So far anywhoo. The lead wasn't as bad as the reviews made him sound. The character weren't that interesting except for the reformed big bad wolf. Everyone was a bit cardboardish.

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The show lost me within 5 minutes, and at the 10 minute mark, I made my decision... I won't be back. I left it on in the background while I did something else though, just to finish out the episode. I even checked the IMDb to make sure that wasn't Brandon Routh. I really did. :o There were two reasons I bailed. 1) Either the concept or the execution failed to grab me, and 2) I'm trying to cut down on how much TV I watch and I was never really invested in this to begin with, based on what I've read leading up to the premiere. These days I sample shows thinking about what I can drop rather than what I can watch. If it's good, or if there's something about it I like, I'll have to stick around. If it's not "must see", I'm gone.

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^ That is pretty harsh Richard. :( I liked the pilot...hope you will at least watch the second ep. ;)

[edit] Ratings...

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2011
  15. Temis the Vorta

Formulaic but competently made. The lead is bland but good-looking and likable. The Big Bad Wolf sidekick is the right idea for this show - it needs more personality and humor. More characters like that (maybe even with a satirical edge) would really go a long ways towards improvement. I'll stick with it for now in the hopes that it will go in interesting directions.

Grimm sure is the standout of the night with a mere 2.1/6. Anyone have half-hour data? Whether it trends up or down should indicate whether the audience will be back.

I was jazzed to see two Prison Break alumni, not just Haywire as the sidekick, but also the Chinese guy on the police force, who didn't have much of a role in this ep, but he's a terrific actor and I hope they use him more.

I guess everyone is pretty much used to silly police antics on broadcast shows, but I did think it was pretty hilarious that Our Heroes think humming a certain song (like it couldn't be a coincidence???) is a good enough excuse to break down a guy's door without so much as getting a warrant, and when he fights back against the intruders and flees, like any sensible person would, they shoot him in the back!!! :rommie:

Wow, were they lucky they found the girl in the basement because otherwise, they'd both be up for murder. I don't think, "but Your Honor, he was a werewolf!" would fly in court.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  16. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another "yes." And I liked the red-riding hood reference. I picked that up at the start.

Fortunately for me, I gave up on Supernatural years ago. I like this "good" Blutbad (closed-captioning helps with spelling sometimes), and was hoping they'd kinda team up. Wasn't there a comment that the demons/whatever are visible to a Grimm when they lose control? That could explain why the police captain can stay hidden--he doesn't lose control and Grimm (what's his name again?) is new to his ability.

17. Temis the Vorta

Yes - but that doesn't really explain why Grimmy saw the true face of the blonde girl, maybe they also can be revealed when they're not paying close attention to keeping their mask in place.

We could all just call him Grimmy, :rommie: but I guess I should go look up his name...Nick Burkhardt!

18. Locutus of Bored

^ I just called him Brandon Routh II. Clearly, he's some sort of doppelgänger and just doesn't know it yet. ;)

Fittingly for werewolves, Blutbad is German for "bloodbath."

The weird loner guy killing Little Red Riding Hoods was able to mask his true face from the Grimm even while being directly questioned as a murder suspect by two police officers, so it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to think the police captain who is used to it should be able to mask his true identity as well.

Also, the people who lost control and revealed their true faces before (the bad blond haired lady and the good blutbad) did so when they thought they weren't being watched. They had more control after that though when they knew they were being observed.

19. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I think the show has to decide whether it wants to be PG or closer to R in terms of true shock/gore value. And the lead is hardly a Michael C. Hall, that's for sure. I think OUAT was more tightly scripted and directed, but it all lies in the execution from here on out.

20. Temis the Vorta

It's on NBC, so it'll stick with the PG range.