Impact on Star Trek as Disney reboot Star Wars.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Oct 30, 2012.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Our precious star wars has grown stale and is going to get a reboot like Star Trek thanks to Disney. Many star wars fans are already saying JJ Abrams :rolleyes: or Chris Nolan :) should direct the new star wars film.

How about Micheal Bay? :lol:

I know many people including myself are fans of Trek and Wars. So how do you guys think the new star wars films will impact the future of Star Trek movies?

A trek fan on IMDB believes that Paramount will have no choice but to push Trek even more into summer blockbuster territory if that's even possible.

(If he is right, I suggest Paramount ditch the obsessive secrecy and start giving Trek more Media exposure soon and fast)

It is no secret that the 09 Film was heavily influenced by star wars. JJ doesn’t deny itand yes it eliminated many core trek fans that hate star wars.

I hope this time around Nu-Star Trek does the influence on Nu-Star Wars .

If I remember correctly JJ's Trek is suppose to be a trilogy. So am guessing by the time the third Trek film is out in 2016 or 2017, a new star wars film will have been released in 2015.

Do you guys think a star wars reboot will be as good as star trek 2009? This is of course from a critical point of view as star wars unlike star trek has nevered suffered commercially.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Disney have already announced that they are NOT rebooting Star Wars, but continuing it with Episodes VII, VIII and IX, with a new film every 2 years starting in 2015.

2015 may be the year Star Trek XIII arrives (or 2016 to coincide with Trek's 50th anniversary), which may be the end of Bad Robot's association with the franchise. So the future of TV/film Trek past that is anyone's guess.
    Trek has a history of reacting to Star Wars (The Phase II pilot being remade into the first Trek film, the prequel series Enterprise after The Phantom Menace etc), so whatever direction SW VII takes may dictate what Trek does next.

Also this would be best suited to the Future of Trek forum.

3. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

The scary part is that you actually edited this post.

4. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Reboot and continuation sometimes are the same thing.09 trek was suppose to be a reboot but it could also be seen as a continuation as the original time line , thanks to Spock Prime played an important role in the 09 film which is set in an alternate reality.

Star Wars 2015 may be the same thing. Episode 7 might have a brand new set of characters and brand new story however they might bring back one original character from the first 6 movies to guide the new cast/characters like Nimoy’s Spock prime.
    So you see...Star Trek may have the influence on Star Wars this time around.:)

However you made a valid point when you said star trek always react to star wars. Take the first star trek film, that film won’t have happen if not for a new hope.

I am still rooting of JJ’s Trilogy if he manages to direct a third film. JJ Abrams Trek has every potential to be put in the same ranks as the lord of the rings and the original star wars trilogy.

Most star wars fans are kind of depressed as they believe that Disney might turn star wars into some kids bubblegum light hearted action stuff. Good thing is, I can never see Star Trek going that far not even when they try. Star Trek has always maintained its intellectually and maturity in comparison to other franchises.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  5. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Thanks for the insult...keep it classy. However if you have no real comment based on this particular topic, kindly lay off.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really, unless they decide to introduce time travel.

7. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

With a 2015 release something tells me they are well into preproduction already. I think the director and everything is already in place. You don't just drop something like this and not have everything ready.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The Marvel fans reacted the same way when the Mouse acquired Marvel. And you know what? It wasn't the end of the world. Marvel didn't get all Disneyfied--despite all the hand-wringing and dire predictions at the time.

Fans overreact sometimes.

9. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I see your point. Star Wars hardly does time travel since it is not really sci-fi. However they always have that Jedi ghost stuff. I can see Luke Skywalker coming back as a ghost to warn our new Jedis of another intergalactic threat. Thankfully Vulcan’s like TOS Spock don’t need to be ghosts they just live longer and can use a black or worm hole to travel back in time and warn our space explorers of the same threat.:)

Another reason why I favour trek over wars at times, I tend to enjoy potential science hypothesis like worm/black holes brought to life in a sci—fi film than ghost and spirits running around.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :guffaw:

Impact?

None.

Next.

Star Wars as "some kids bubblegum light hearted action stuff?" That would certainly be returning it to its 1977 roots.

11. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. Only a positive impact as both Star Trek and Star Wars have successfully coexisted for thirty-five years.

12. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

I have a bad feeling about this.

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see anything different happening with Star Trek as a result of Disney acquiring Lucasfilm. if anything i would wish disney would buy Star Trek as they may actually do something with it beyond a movie every 3 to 4 years

14. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I see your point. I really wish star trek 13 will come out in 2015 however I know Paramount would be scared to do that now because the almighty Star Wars is coming back with a new film that same year.

But yes I don’t want to wait 3 or worse 4 years for every Trek film.

By the time the 3rd trek film comes out the actors will be looking old. The NU-Universe characters are suppose to be in their mid twenty now but most of the actors are already in their mid 30's and will be pushing 40 by the time third film comes out.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Likely to have a bigger impact on Trek on TV. CBS may wait for Disney to produce a series and its critcial/Neilsen reception before investing on weekly Trek again.

16. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I really don't see Disney investing in anything (outside of movies) in a TV series outside of being animated. The movies are just to easy to make huge cash off of with minimal (relative) investment.

An animated series, like the current one, is as usual, a great merchandizing commercial. That said, I actually really like the current series.

Besides, Trek and the Wars are two completely different animals. Star Wars has a mythos that just seems to entice people. And the nostolgia that it envokes has been firmly entrenched into a new generation of fans without even remotely alienating the old generation. I think Disney will respect how powerful a money maker that will be. And releasing movies slowly will certainly entice.

Star Trek is so hit and miss. JJ put together a great story that everyone could appreciate regardless of being a Trek fan, so we were lucky in that regards. I unfortunely can not see any place for a series with Trek either. I just don't know what they can do, and I LOVE Star Trek...

As for the OP title--- It won't be a re-boot like Star Trek, that's for sure. The formula for Star Wars just works too well. It won't be a re-boot at all. It will be a continuing saga.

WOO HOO!!!!

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd say the impact would go the other way, if at all. Disney has certainly noticed that Star Trek has been successfully resurrected as a movie franchise by recasting the main big name characters with young, pretty actors. Star Wars is more or less in the same boat, with a mismanaged movie franchise that needs some brand rebuilding. Same disease, so why not the same cure?

I would not at all be surprised to hear Disney is recasting Luke, Leia and Han to be about the same age as of ROTJ (25-35) and the sequel trilogy will deal with those characters after the death of the Empire. Even without Abrams' example, that's the most obvious route to making big mountains of money.

Most of the potential audience doesn't have emotional investment in the actors reprising the OT roles. There of course will be fans who react to recasting just as some fans reacted to anyone but Shatner playing Kirk, but as we've all seen, that had no impact on box office success and the movie turned out just fine creatively, too.

However, there is the potential for action-fantasy-movie overkill in all this. I'd say the lower-profile superheroes like Guardians of the Galaxy are in far more danger than any non-superhero based franchise.

Apples and oranges, but Star Wars has the edge in the movies because it was originally made for movies - visual, visceral, emotional. Star Trek was made for TV - emphasis on characters, themes and ideas - so it will always be a worse fit for movies.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Iger has alrady said he likes Star Wars for TV, and that DisneyXD is the place for it, which means more kid-focused animation a la The Clone Wars. Moonves doesn't need to wait, TCW has been getting strong ratings on the Cartoon Network, but animation aimed at kids is not an obvious fit for CBS, so I don't know what he could do with that info.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Those ratings can't be that strong as it got new episodes shunted to Saturday mornings, losing its Friday night timeslot.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/10...ied-About-A-Renewed-Star-Wars-Franchise.shtml