The Cancellation Game - October

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Starbreaker, Oct 6, 2012.

?

Which will be cancelled

Poll closed Oct 13, 2012.
  1. Made in Jersey (CBS)

48.6%
  2. Partners (CBS)

27.0%
  3. The Mob Doctor (FOX)

56.8%
  4. 666 Park Avenue (ABC)

35.1%
  5. Animal Practice (NBC)

35.1%
  6. Guys With Kids (NBC)

51.4%
  7. Ben and Kate (NBC)

18.9%
  8. The Mindy Project (NBC)

16.2%
  9. Chicago Fire (NBC)

24.3%
  10. Last Resort (ABC)

24.3%
  11. Nashville (ABC)

13.5%
  12. The Neighbors (ABC)

45.9%
  13. Vegas (CBS)

5.4%
  14. Elementary (CBS)

8.1%
  15. Emily Owens (CW)

13.5%
  16. Beauty and the Beast (CW)

24.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which of these show will be cancelled by the end of October?

A correct guess will be 1 point
    An incorrect one will be -1.
    Poll will close in 7 days

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oops I mean to vote for 666 Park Ave, too. But really its cheating to vote for shows that have debuted, since the writing is usually on the wall or heavily leaning one way or the other the first week.

Of the shows yet to debut, I say Beauty & The Beast goes down in flames, too dumb even for the CW, but Nashville does well and Chicago Fire does well enough for now.

4. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I voted, I believe that Mob Doctor will be the first show cancelled. Then 666 Park Avenue and Made in Jersey. With The Neighbors somewhere in there.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Mob Doctor is dead, Fox just doesn't have anything to fill it in with. If I were them I'd stick Touch there.

7. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I've read, Mob Doctor is the clear favorite to be the first cancelled show of the season.

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm surprised there aren't more votes for Last Resort. Between the low-ish ratings and the sheer cost of producing a show like that, it's a clear frontrunner for getting axed. Critical acclaim isn't enough to keep a show on the air.

9. Temis the Vorta

Last Resort is toast, it was a big gamble for ABC that didn't pan out. And a good example of why networks are so risk adverse. FOX's dino show was the expensive flop of last season.

What works are cheap sitcoms and reality TV, and dramas that are very well matched to the particular network's existing viewership, which means they should be similar to what is already on that network. I thought 666 Park Ave was close enough kin to Once Upon a Time (fantasy) and Revenge (glamorous and soapy) but apparently even that was too far afield. Audiences are piiiiicky. But I'm still sanguine about Nashville, which has the soapy/bitchy DNA that works well for ABC.

NBC is the exception, since they are still trying to rebuild an audience. The fact that Revolution is working out for them is a great sign - now that show will be their touchstone for future drama development, which bodes somewhat well for sci fi and very well for action/adventure. If Chicago Fire hits, then that will be the second touchstone confirming that NBC needs to focus on male-skewing action shows, genre or not.

10. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I would not suprise me if Last Resort would end up like Kings.

11. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I won't be sad if 666 gets cancelled, but i gotta say, i did enjoy last night's episode more than the premiere.

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah but what if the gamble pays off? Look at Lost and how that show took off.

Successful networks like ABC who have quite a few stable shows like Castle can afford to roll the dice once in a while and maybe it sticks. I hope more TV networks do the same or the landscape will get boring as hell.

13. Temis the Vorta

Networks have tied themselves in knots trying to replicate Lost, resulting in one expensive failure after another. Revolution may be a success at long last, but is that because its like Lost or because it's a less gory version of The Walking Dead?

ABC isnt a good example of a "safe" network. It's been just a step or two up from NBC in terms of being a disaster. The safer networks are FOX (which wins in the 18-49 demo) and CBS (good demo due to having the largest audience even if it skews old).

CBS got to where they are today by taking the least chances of any network, no sf/f genre shows for instance unless you count a doctor or lawyer talking with angels or ghosts as genre. FOX has been very unambitious for the current season and I think their lack of daring might hurt them, but the jury is still largely out.

Even if broadcast is being incentivized to take no risks, there's always cable, where the incentives are more in the risky direction, because of the different economies that make one cable viewer more valuable than one broadcast viewer (especially premium cable) so that catering to niche audiences makes more sense. That's the reason why Game of Thrones and Mad Men can exist at all.

PS, Castle's ratings on ABC are far from solid and the show may be headed for cancellation.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  14. the G-man

...but how much of that "win" is due to American Idol and other singing/reality shows?

Fox has a pretty lengthy history of cancelling shows.

15. Temis the Vorta

If singing/reality is what lets them win, then it make sense that they'd be less tolerant of drama, which is less of a safe win. If that's true, that is. A lot of reality shows flop, too.

The point is, being a safer network in terms of success doesnt make you more likely to take risks. It might teach you that taking risks doesnt pay, or is simply unnecesary since you can get by without risks just fine.

Lately, NBC has been taking the most risks of any network, because they are desperate to find somethng that works (and have Comcast to bankroll their risk taking.) ABC, which has also been struggling, has been taking some risks. Even the CW is trying to expand more into male-skewing shows, which is a risk for them. FOX and CBS, which are doing best, are taking the fewest risks.

16. the G-man

I would say that, generally yes, network TV tends to only take chances when it has "nothing to lose." Otherwise, it tends to just replicate whatever was last successful for them (or a rival) over and over until people get sick of it.

Part of NBC's problem, for example, is that they are still trying to replicate "Must See TV" nearly 20 years after the fact. And don't get me started on how they ran, and are still running, the "Law and Order" concept into the ground.

17. Starbreaker

The Mindy Project received a full season pickup.
    Ben and Kate had an additional 6 episodes ordered.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The Mob Doctor will be dead in two weeks.

19. Starbreaker

Community and Whitney have had their premieres delayed. They might be taking the spots of Animal Practice and Guys With Kids soon.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Animal practice is awful, and Guys with kids is fantastically bad BUT Guys with Kids is comfortable... It's just like so many other shows that were okay and we miss.

Guys with kids... THAT'S VANESSA FROM THE COSBY SHOW!!!

Bury the lead already.

And is that.. is that.. ITS MEADOW FROM THE SOPRANOS!!

And the third wife is on EVERYTHING (but mostly Children's Hospital.)!

Never be anything great, but it's paying peoples rent till they can find something worthwhile.