A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read the Dunk and Egg's a year or two ago. The stories are nothing spectacular, but I like how they give you a glimpse of what things were like when the Targaryens were in power.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The stories are absolutely spectacular. The actions of a dim-witted squire caused the fall of a dynasty.

3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Question, as my memory of it is not clear... didn't Cersei order the attempt on Tyrion's life in the books? If so, this is another example of them making Jeoffrey nastier and her a wee bit nicer, as they did with the order to kill Robert's bastards.

I have one of the Dunk & Egg stories in a collection, I've got to get the other two so I can read them.

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

It's never explicitly said in the books who is responsible for the attempt on Tyrion. He assumes it was Cersei, but is still looking for concrete evidence when other events make the whole matter irrelevant. But the show flat-out saying at this point that it was Joffrey is certainly another case of making her nicer and him (even) nastier.

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Well she'll need more sympathy from the fans, assuming we get her arrest and walk of shame eventually. :lol:

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I know that she has done nude scenes in the past, but I'd be surprised if Lena Headey did the walk of shame as it's described in the books. I anticipate a body double at least.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I think she'd perform the nudity herself. The bigger question is whether she'd actually shave her head or go with a bald cap.

8. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

She's had some pretty short hair before (compared to the Game of Thrones hair)

Maybe they'll just give her a close crop and call it good?

The real question is will the carpet match the drapes?

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Not without dye or a merkin.

10. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The show doesn't flat-out say anything about that. Cersei doesn't answer and Tyrion just assumes that it must've been Joff.

11. Brendan Moody

Yeah, but in the context of the show's general approach and its avoidance of this kind of ongoing mystery, the intention is pretty obviously to confirm that it was Joffrey.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    Yeah, she communicates it to Tyrion without actually saying it out loud. We're not supposed to think she's being coy and allowing Tyrion to believe it was Joffrey, while it was actually her. We're clearly supposed to take it at face value that it was in fact Joffrey.

13. Ayelbourne

But that makes much less sense than pinning it on Cersei. She was the one openly threatened by Tyrion. She's been paranoid about him ever since Maggy the Frog.
    Also, Mandon Moore was her bodyguard.

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Precisely. I think in the books it was more implied that she was the one who tried to have him killed, just like she (IIRC) had Lancel try to poison King Robert's wine during his fatal last hunt. Her propensity for such acts is not without precedent.

15. Brendan Moody

In the books, sure. I don't think the show is interested in doing foreshadowing and character-motivation logic on that level. All that matters on TV is that Joffrey has a general motive (he hates Tyrion) and opportunity (Moore was a Kingsguard, sworn to follow the king's orders). I mean, technically Joffrey (who doesn't believe the rumors about his parentage) has less reason to order the bastards murdered than Cersei (who knows the rumors are true), but the show explicitly assigned that to him as well.

Oh, and Robert was given unusually potent wine, not wine that was poisoned.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The TV show didn't show Mandon Moore as Cersei's bodyguard, did it? It just showed him as part of the Kingsguard. Joffrey had as much motive as Cersei to try to kill Tyrion given how mental Joffrey gets when he's disrespected, which Tyrion has done plenty of. We don't yet know whether the TV show will keep the Maggy the Frog aspect of the story.

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I so hope they ditch that stupid prophecy for the TV series.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

19. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

From that scene it appeared to me that the attack was being pinned on Joff, and then he uses a woman for target practice to cement his nastiness in the minds of the viewers.

I wonder if they will use Joff's death to send Cersei spiraling? The show has def made her "softer" by attributing the order to murder Robert's bastards to Joff and pinning the attempt on Tyrion's life on Joff. (As other posters pointed out, Tyrion thought it was Cersei but never knew for sure.)

Perhaps Tywin's quip about her not being as smart as she thinks is the beginning of the build to her walk? She is already suspicious of the Tyrells and has openly regarded Marg with disdain more than once.

I think flashes of her paranoria and lack of forethought are being presented to the viewers to build to C's "mini downfall".

20. Ayelbourne

He's acting as her guard in the scene where Tyrion threatens her and he's with Cersei in Maegor's Holdfast before she sends him to the battlements.