Whenver I See Star Trek Actors/Actresses...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

...in another TV show or film, it almost always amuses me. I first found out about TJ Hooker when I was eleven and thought it was hilarious that Shatner played a police officer. I also laughed when I saw Stephen Collins was the lead character on 7th Heaven with Catherine Hicks as his wife. Patrick Stewart in X-Men wasn't so much amusing as it was interesting because it seemed like another good role for him.

There have been others, of course. Avery Brooks on American History X. Robert Picardo on The Wonder Years. Leonard Nimoy on Mission Impossible and The Simpsons. Jeri Ryan on Boston Public.

Do the rest of you react the same way? Or does it depend on whether you saw the actor on Star Trek first before seeing them elsewhere?

--Sran

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I remember watching The Howling and recognizing a young Robert Picardo. I couldn't beleive it was him!

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I just watched Deep Impact and realized the young girl's mom was Denise Crosby.

My first thought..."Tasha!"

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I watched that too about a week ago and thought the same thing. I had forgotten she was in the movie.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I just watched that again last week!

And I don't remember ever being startled, but I remembered being amused to stumble onto a young William Shatner playing Alyosha in an old movie version of The Brothers Karamazov. Somehow the idea of Captain Kirk playing the young, virginal brother struck me as very funny!

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I think the first thing I saw Shatner in outside of Star Trek was "White Comanche".

7. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched old reruns of Benson just to see Odo and Neelix out of Trek costume and make up. It was quite an entertaining show.

When I was a kid, Mama's Family came on in the morning time on TBS before Saved By the Bell.... Anyway, a couple of episodes has Brent Spiner in them and all I could think about was the backwoods version of Data. Same when he played a similar character on Night Court.

8. VXX

VXX Lieutenant Red Shirt

patrick stewart in jeffery

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I had first seen Shatner in the original airings of his The Twilight Zone episodes, but he didn't register as anybody notable to me until Star Trek. Dang those two words together look so good italicized.

You should go back and look for a younger James Darren too. I had first liked Darren in The Time Tunnel, when he'd just hit 30. And only a few years before that, he was playing on the Top 40 radio stations. I didn't see his teen movies at all, and didn't see him The Guns of Navarone until long after it was in theaters. It was his first screen death scene, DS9 has his second.

It's credited on IMDB as his first feature film role, though he'd previously been on television.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^I caught 70s-era James Darren in an episode of Baa Baa Black Sheep / Black Sheep Squadron. He played a movie star who was put in the squadron for PR/homefront morale. As I recall, he was shot down, but maybe that doesn't count as he didn't die "on camera".

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

James Darren must have always looked too young to die.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm watching True Blood atm (started season 6, no spoilers please) and it was a pleasure to see Ensign Ro and Phlox together in quite a few scenes. Though I thought of Ensign Ro as Admiral Cain because the character was similar.

13. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek actors in general always draw me to a film or TV show more than I would be drawn without them. Shatner is the biggest draw of all. I saw every episode of TJ HOOKER in first run. I've also seen every non-Trek series with Jeri Ryan for some reason. :techman:

I've had the same reaction to Lee Majors and Lindsay Wagner, my longtime bionic heroes. And I watched DALLAS because I was such a big MAN FROM ATLANTIS fan, and Patrick Duffy was in it. Sometimes it's painful to be a fan.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The dad was the hospital orderly from TNG's "Frame of Mind". ;)

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because I was watching this movie tonight, it was the first thing to come to mind. When I saw Brent Spiner in Independence Day, I thought it was a little weird. He was there for comic relief and then died. I was so used to serious Spiner because of Data.

Just recently, one of the reasons I got into Orange is the New Black (Not only because I wanted to be a part of the excitement of a new Netflix series) was because of Kate Mulgrew. When I found out she was in the credits, I was excited because I haven't seen Mulgrew in anything else other than Voyager.

16. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Robert Picardo played the automated robot driver of the "JohnnyCab" in "Total Recall". He gets hacked by the badguys and tries to kill Arnold Swarzeneggar.

17. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I saw Star Trek first and caught The Twilight Zone Shatner episodes later in re-runs. I later loved T.J. Hooker and most other things Shatner has done.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

There's a whole thread in the TOS section devoted to finding TOS actors in other shows. With pictures!

19. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Jennifer Lien (Kes) is in it too.

20. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Nana as a batshit crazy broad on an episode of Night Court:

[​IMG]

Louise Fletcher on an episode of One Step Beyond!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]