The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The nano-bot/superhealing theory is interesting. There does seem to be another shoe that needs to drop on the medical front.

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally watched the episode. Yeah, I was spoiled. Irrelevant since I wanted to watch it anyway.

My reaction? Damn! For a dead girl, Sophia got pretty tall! If that was the same actress in the scene where she gets shot, she looks almost as tall as Rick. Of course she had to die. She grew too fast in a "week."

3. Horta Burger

Horta Burger Lieutenant Red Shirt

I doubt the show will ever go into any detailed explanation, but yours is actually kind of clever.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

5. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

Re: What Hershel saw (and how it changed him)

That was a great behind the scenes video ) I don't know why, I never get tired of watching then do movie makeup and explain how they do it.
    Zombie Makeup is some of the best but even star trek behind the scenes stuff has some great makeup explainations,

- CG

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

7. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And, in fact, Hershel mentioned AIDS and AIDS hysteria very early on when discussing the plague with Rick.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally got caught up here at the midseason finale and appreciate the dilemma our survivors were placed with. Taking out Herschels' Walkers wasn't an issue, no personal attachment. The conclusion to the long running Sophia is missing arc had them dealing with not only someone they know that is turned/diseased/dead but a child.

I'm hoping that the group has a change of scenery for us in the last half of the season. Will getting to Fort Benning be the end point for a few episodes like the CDC was. They get a few more pieces of the larger puzzle with the Walker epidemic but suffer some more bad news(miscarriage?).

As much as Shane is a killer/rapist you can't help but know he's making sense many times the last few episodes. You can't be soft or naive in the type of world they have inherited.

Really great show!! Can't wait to rewatch S1 soon. Got a great Amazon Cyber Monday price on it at $14.

9. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shane might be "right" but imposing his righteousness on people instead of letting them choose to accept it is wrong. (And even though things have changed, are a person's property rights suddenly null and void?)

That's why people hate evangelical Christians try to "impose their will" when get elected to office.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are human lives more important than property rights? Yes. Rick would have been justified telling Herschel, too bad, old man, my people are staying right here. If I had been Rick, I would have said exactly that. And I would have stuck a gun in his face to make sure he got the point.

If Hershel had booted them off the farm, he would be exposing living people to danger in order to save dead people who as far as we know are unsaveable. The gang would not all have been able to bring themselves to leave the area, thinking Sophia was still in the woods. They would have split up, endangering everyone even more, especially those who keep combing the woods.

How long would it take for Darryl and Carol to give up? Most likely, they would have stuck with it until the zombies got them. It would only be a matter of time. Is it worth sacrificing their lives for Herschel's fucking property rights?

(And I'm assuming Herschel didn't realize there was a little girl zombie recently put in the barn - by Otis? But why would Otis be out zombie-catching on his own? One of the others would have been with him. If Herschel knew that girl most likely was the one everyone was searching for, it's absolutely unconscienable for him to have said nothing, and allow them to continue to expose themselves to danger for no reason. Darryl almost died!)

However, the writers have positioned Shane to be "right" only by dumb luck. When he started towards the barn, I honestly was thinking, Zombie Lunch! It could very well have turned out disasterously. Shane was acting like an out-of-control lunatic.

The fact that he was out of control, not the fact that he was willing to do anything he needed to safeguard Lori, Carl and Lori's unborn baby (if not the rest), is where the problem with him lies.

So basically, in that situation, I'd be Shane, but a whole hell of a lot more self-controlled. The group desperately needs a leader like that.

11. Captain Craig

Funny, cause I hate when secularists try to impose their will but hey that's alright in your book I bet. Double standard works fine.

And yes property rights go right out the window over human lives/needs in this case. Society has fundamentally changed. Not by legislation, not by vote but by force of nature that can't be controlled or reasoned with. The stupid redneck who cut off his own hand would've been shot by me long before. No time for bigots and racists in my group. It's survival time, get with the program. It's a new world.

12. the G-man

But if you say "property rights go out the window," at least completely, you're essentially arguing for ransacking and violence: the strong decide the weak don't "need" something and take it by violence

13. Captain Craig

^^^
    Watch Panic in the Year Zero, a dated film from I think the 50's but the point is also evident in Tom Cruises War of the Worlds, the weak, the soft will be left behind or put into tow with the strong.
    Mankind is still an animal, we just pretend we are above such things, and when push comes to shove I'm sorry but The Joker in TDK is right. He just didn't push enough.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Herschel clearly said in the finale that Otis did most of the zombie wrangling on his own. Which helps to explain why Herschel didn't know Sophia was in the barn.

15. RJDiogenes

Thankfully, this show has so far been about people hanging on to their Humanity in the face of a dehumanizing apocalypse. That's what has made it great, and hopefully that's how it will continue.

16. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But he said the walkers in the barn could be "restored." Finding a cure for an infectious disease might be realistic, bringing half-rotted corpses back to life is pretty clearly not.

Justin

17. the G-man

I understand that. I wasn't saying Hershel was right. I'm just saying that argument, however deluded, was established to be running through his mind.

Yeah. I understand what probably WOULD happen. But that doesn't mean I approve or advocate that it SHOULD happen.

18. Captain Craig

Agree, just noting that Shane's justification, albeit a bit crazed in it's presentation, have merit.

19. Horta Burger

Horta Burger Lieutenant Red Shirt

Lots of valid points. But the thing I like is that Shane was right about the big picture. His first reaction upon learning about the barn: "We clear it out or we go." That's spot on. Anything in between is ultimately going to be a fiasco, as we saw. Far from being a complete nut, Shane offers the leader a choice; Rick refuses to make one while clearly wanting to stay. Humoring Hershel is a half measure when full measures are needed, to quote Breaking Bad.

It's the half measures that caused the end. Would Shane have been so out of control about it absent that surreal moment with Rick and Hershel walking their walkers? Absent arguing with people he thinks have completely lost it? Probably not. Half measures made it worse.

Shane and Rick kind of remind me of Kirk split in two on the original Star Trek. Rick has the inner strength the group needs to sustain itself, but he's vacillating and indecisive. Shane has decisiveness in spades, but he doesn't have control of himself deep down.

20. RJDiogenes

^^ Ironic that Shane's breakdown was triggered by thinking that Rick had lost it. :rommie:

I think probably both would happen. You'd have enclaves of people who would revert to barbarism (some of them welcoming it) and some who could maintain civilization. Just like in any other situation, like natural disaster or war, you have the people that use the opportunity to steal or rape, and you have the people who help others and work to rebuild. I'm just happy that the heroes of this show are the ones who hang on to their standards.

You mean that collecting Zombies is dangerous? Yeah, that's for sure-- but the situation was stable for the moment until he went off the rails.